2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My quest for a Mustang GT 5.0 (used)...

Search this Thread

Old 12/16/12, 04:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, if you're still interested in the other one, I'd take the picture of the Shelby in there and tell them to pay off your Jeep or you'll go with the Shelby. Or just go with the Shelby right off. Two positive choices... for now. If they're both steals, you might mess around and lose both.
Old 12/16/12, 05:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I'll be honest - gas mileage on that Shelby will be just like that Grand Cherokee. Add a couple of throttle happy Camaros/Evos/STis/BMWs in your area and that figure will go down.

I only really make mine work because I don't commute with it (NYC) but that goes for most 'luxo' toys in this area. I'd look into keeping the Cherokee (the terrible early in the loan trade you described will be the same and worse everywhere you go), and then saving up for a 2nd loan for something fun like a GT500.

Or you could trade it in on something cheaper, more efficient and less 'rare' - like a Focus or a Fusion.

Last edited by JPMotorSport; 12/16/12 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12/16/12, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by JPMotorSport
Well I'll be honest - gas mileage on that Shelby will be just like that Grand Cherokee. Add a couple of throttle happy Camaros/Evos/STis/BMWs in your area and that figure will go down.

I only really make mine work because I don't commute with it (NYC) but that goes for most 'luxo' toys in this area. I'd look into keeping the Cherokee (the terrible early in the loan trade you described will be the same and worse everywhere you go), and then saving up for a 2nd loan for something fun like a GT500.

Or you could trade it in on something cheaper, more efficient and less 'rare' - like a Focus or a Fusion.
Yep, all this has crossed my mind throughout the day as I mulled these cars over. As I said in my original post, I really am committed to lowering my "total cost of ownership" while still maintaining some of sense of passion/pride in what I drive (no desire to own or drive a Focus or Fusion).

Perhaps the GT500 is not the car. I figure between higher payment and slightly worse mpg's (incl. use of premium fuel), that I'd be paying about $130/mo. more for the Shelby than the Stang. Put another way, only $75/mo. cheaper than the Jeep.

Sure is tempting though... it's not every day a perfect GT500 like that pops up in your local listings (love the black w/ stripe delete and Nav to boot).

Maybe I'll go see it tomorrow just for kicks.
Old 12/16/12, 09:42 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
I worry that you will be one of those people who will end up "owning" (not really owning since you'll be in for a big loan) a car you can't afford. Think with a level head. If you're worried about payments, the Shelby would not be wise.
Old 12/16/12, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by FromZto5
I worry that you will be one of those people who will end up "owning" (not really owning since you'll be in for a big loan) a car you can't afford. Think with a level head. If you're worried about payments, the Shelby would not be wise.
No need to worry yourself. It was a false alarm. Turns out that Shelby has a "reconstructed title." I knew $31,995 was too good to be true on that car. **** fine print! Hahaha...

Back to the GT...
Old 12/17/12, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

I work for Ford as a technician so if you PM me a VIN I can pull whatever warranty history is on file. Since you're looking at it at a major dealer vs a corner lot type of one, they should have CarFax so make sure to get a copy.
Old 12/17/12, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Not all accidents involve the Insurance > DMV > Carfax. I am in the middle of a lawsuit, where I was sold a car that had every panel ahead of the front doors replaced due to a collision. Make sure the car has all the VIN stickers where they should be. Best of luck.
Old 12/17/12, 12:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by PDX-289

Yep, all this has crossed my mind throughout the day as I mulled these cars over. As I said in my original post, I really am committed to lowering my "total cost of ownership" while still maintaining some of sense of passion/pride in what I drive (no desire to own or drive a Focus or Fusion).

Perhaps the GT500 is not the car. I figure between higher payment and slightly worse mpg's (incl. use of premium fuel), that I'd be paying about $130/mo. more for the Shelby than the Stang. Put another way, only $75/mo. cheaper than the Jeep.

Sure is tempting though... it's not every day a perfect GT500 like that pops up in your local listings (love the black w/ stripe delete and Nav to boot).

Maybe I'll go see it tomorrow just for kicks.
Funny I posted a link to this exact car in another thread! And noticed the recon title after I posted too. I would still check it out though. Where are you located?
Old 12/17/12, 12:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by fdesalvo
Not all accidents involve the Insurance > DMV > Carfax. I am in the middle of a lawsuit, where I was sold a car that had every panel ahead of the front doors replaced due to a collision. Make sure the car has all the VIN stickers where they should be. Best of luck.
This. My '05 Escape has a clean title, but I realized after bringing it home that it had been repainted (just looked like paint was in good condition at first), and had damage to the radiator surround, things I didn't notice on the first walk around.
Old 12/17/12, 05:17 PM

Other than checking CarFax and having Poisoned Pony check the VIN (which I will do... check your PM's), what are you guys suggesting that I do?

Do I need to get a Ford dealer to look at it? Or just look for the obvious signs... (door and fender bolts that have obviously been turned)...?
Old 12/17/12, 07:43 PM
Bullitt Member

If I were you and I were trying to lower my operating costs w/ a 'fun' commuter vehicle I'd look into a 2011+ V6.

I'd take a base w/ MT + pp for everyday use than add mileage on the GT.

Last edited by JPMotorSport; 12/17/12 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12/17/12, 11:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by JPMotorSport
If I were you and I were trying to lower my operating costs w/ a 'fun' commuter vehicle I'd look into a 2011+ V6.

I'd take a base w/ MT + pp for everyday use than add mileage on the GT.

Yep, I agree. The V6 PP would be a great option. Performance pack V6s will run low 5s to 60 and get a little better mileage than you're expecting. Don't count on 20 MPG mixed with a 5.0. The only way you're gonna get that is if you drive it like grandma all the time. My wife gets 20 in ours if that tells you anything. LOL The best I ever do is mid 16s, and I'm not exactly a road terror. When I really play with it, it's more like 13.5.

And on finding a manual transmission with nav, good luck... It took me months to find one close enough to go get, and it was still 500 miles away. They are out there, but they are definitely unicorns.
Old 12/17/12, 11:16 PM

Okay, I got the VIN report from Poisoned Pony (thank you so much).

Here's what I learned about the options...
  • GT Premium
  • 401A (white stripe)
  • Brembo Brake Kit
  • GT Accessory Package 5 (Hood scoop; Pedestal spoiler, Quarter window louvers; Side scoops; Decklid face panel)
  • HID Headlamps & Security Package
  • 3.73 Limited Slip Ratio
  • Comfort Group (6-way power passenger seat; Heated front seats)

Here's what I know about the history...
  • 8,977 miles
  • 1 owner
  • Clean Title
  • Clean Carfax
  • Build Date: 4/15/10
  • In Service Date: 7/26/10 (19 months left on 3yr./36 mo. warranty)
  • Looks like the car was purchased and spent most of its life in Virginia. But the dealer ad says, "locally owned." Maybe the original owner moved to Oregon recently...?
  • Only 1 warranty report: custom states airbag light on (replaced side airbag)

Other tid bits...
  • SYNC version: V3 VHR ACTIVATED
  • No warning messages found for this VIN

I have agreed to terms with the dealer, pending final inspection tomorrow.

Here's the listing of the car with tons of pics in case anybody wants to look it over.

http://www.nwjeep.com/used/Ford/2011...b39a1f7465.htm

Last edited by PDX-289; 12/17/12 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12/18/12, 02:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Imo that is a steal. Get it right away. I bought my 2011 back in June with 18k miles for $26k (that was the best price I found at that time, and it was 2k less than the next most comparable 5.0)

"Buy it Now" - eBay
Old 12/18/12, 03:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteGT
Yep, I agree. The V6 PP would be a great option. Performance pack V6s will run low 5s to 60 and get a little better mileage than you're expecting. Don't count on 20 MPG mixed with a 5.0. The only way you're gonna get that is if you drive it like grandma all the time. My wife gets 20 in ours if that tells you anything. LOL The best I ever do is mid 16s, and I'm not exactly a road terror. When I really play with it, it's more like 13.5.

And on finding a manual transmission with nav, good luck... It took me months to find one close enough to go get, and it was still 500 miles away. They are out there, but they are definitely unicorns.
Not to start another MPG debate, but mixed 20 MPG is absolutely possible. I'm at just under 22 MPG with about 30,000 miles of history on my car. But I also have 3.31 gears - the 3.73s make that kind of mileage tougher.
Old 12/18/12, 03:51 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I just bought my practically new exhaust from a nice 73 year old gentleman. He bought a used 2011 and the people who sold it to him failed to mention it had been in an accident that was repaired/ not handled with insurance and not reported on the carfax.

He went on trust and the cars problems presented themselves shortly after he bought the car.

I feel bad for him because he's an awesome guy. I was glad to make a new friend. However, buying used cars nowadays days is scary as hell. He lost 3500 bucks on that lemon.
Old 12/18/12, 03:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm probably 3,000 miles since the last time I reset the computer and I'm at 22.8 combined (3.55). I don't drive crazy, but not like grandma either.
Old 12/18/12, 05:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PDX-289
Okay, I got the VIN report from Poisoned Pony (thank you so much).

Here's what I learned about the options...
  • GT Premium
  • 401A (white stripe)
  • Brembo Brake Kit
  • GT Accessory Package 5 (Hood scoop; Pedestal spoiler, Quarter window louvers; Side scoops; Decklid face panel)
  • HID Headlamps & Security Package
  • 3.73 Limited Slip Ratio
  • Comfort Group (6-way power passenger seat; Heated front seats)

Here's what I know about the history...
  • 8,977 miles
  • 1 owner
  • Clean Title
  • Clean Carfax
  • Build Date: 4/15/10
  • In Service Date: 7/26/10 (19 months left on 3yr./36 mo. warranty)
  • Looks like the car was purchased and spent most of its life in Virginia. But the dealer ad says, "locally owned." Maybe the original owner moved to Oregon recently...?
  • Only 1 warranty report: custom states airbag light on (replaced side airbag)

Other tid bits...
  • SYNC version: V3 VHR ACTIVATED
  • No warning messages found for this VIN

I have agreed to terms with the dealer, pending final inspection tomorrow.

Here's the listing of the car with tons of pics in case anybody wants to look it over.

http://www.nwjeep.com/used/Ford/2011...b39a1f7465.htm

BUY IT!
Old 12/18/12, 11:54 PM

Done deal!

I'm the proud new owner of this sweet 5.0! The car is gorgeous. I can't believe how new it feels. The original owner was in the service, overseas when he ordered it. He only drove it on weekends, which explains the low miles. Knowing that this car came from a true hero makes it just a little sweeter.

Got my phone sync'd... just trying to figure out how to stream Bluetooth audio.

Thanks to all for you help and guidance.

Last edited by PDX-289; 12/18/12 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12/19/12, 12:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Congrats! Beautiful car.

Quick Reply: My quest for a Mustang GT 5.0 (used)...