Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My Purchasing Experiece

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/10, 02:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Purchasing Experiece

I wrote this up in response to a question from another forum member, and then decided to make it into its own thread

I purchased my car from Percy Stepp at Mall of Georgia Ford. I cannot recommend him and the dealership enough, especially if you are ordering. They know what customer service is, and how to do it right.

After the 5.0 was announced, I went to Mall of GA Ford to test drive the 2010 Mustang and see how I felt in the car. It was the end of December, before the order banks opened. Percy introduced himself and asked if I needed any help. I explained that I wanted to test drive the 2010, but that I wanted to buy a 2011. Percy was fine with that and so we went out for a drive. He didn't pressure me at all or try to sell me a 2010. He just let me drive the car and took me at my word that I would buy a 2011 once production started. After I left, he sent me a thank you note and that was the last time I heard from him until I was ready to order.

About a month after production started, I called up Percy and made an appointment to place my order. He went through all of the options packages with me and triple checked all of my selections to make sure I was getting exactly what I wanted. Then he went over to the inventory manager and they put the order in the system as I was sitting there.

I got my VIN two days after ordering, and Percy sent me status updates every week. Each update included a pdf copy of the data in Ford's vehicle visibility system (at first, it was the car vehicle status report) along with a hand written note explaining everything in plain English. He continued to send me the updates, even when my car was on Ramp 51 and nothing was changing. Having that communication from him, unprompted, really made the wait bearable.

On delivery day, he made sure the car was left untouched so that I could take pictures of it. Then he helped me carefully remove all of the shipping stuff (plastic wrap, foam, bar codes, etc) and package it up for preservation. Then we drove down to the gas station and filled it up. I asked him what grade they usually put in the cars. His response was: you can have whichever grade you want. When we got back, he put a giant dealership poster for the 5.0 in the trunk for me, then took it down for prep.

While we were waiting for the car to be cleaned and checked, a repeat customer came in to buy a new car and asked for Percy. Most salespeople would have taken the customer and left me; after all, he'd already earned my commission. Percy went out to the customer, explained that he was with me right now, and asked if they minded waiting until my car came back from prep. THAT is customer service.

I'm writing up a letter to Mark Fields and Alan Mullaly about my experience. It was that good.

ps- Lest you think I must have paid a huge sum for the car to get this treatment: I paid A-Plan (Dad worked for Ford) minus $2000 in rebates ($500 cust cash + $1500 RCL renewal rebate).
Old 6/18/10, 02:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Good to hear there are still dealerships, or more specifically, sales people, (however few) that know how to treat customers.
Old 6/18/10, 02:49 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks for sharing this!! Looks like when I get ready to order in November I will be knocking on his door! Wonder if the will do an invoice deal like the other dealers on this site do?
Old 6/18/10, 03:01 PM

Sounds like he made the experience pretty painless! Great salesman, great car. Congrats!
Old 6/18/10, 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Great story.I have had a good experience W/Sunrise Ford internet dept. in North Hollywood Calif.
Old 6/18/10, 03:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Great to hear a story like this. Congrats on your new ride. Now go and mod it
Old 6/18/10, 04:22 PM
Cobra R Member

That is awesome! I wish more salesmen were like Percy. Service like that would guarantee me returning as a customer.
Old 6/18/10, 05:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
Good to hear there are still dealerships, or more specifically, sales people, (however few) that know how to treat customers.

A big effin DITTO on that one.. I've had to call my sales rep twice for updates.. they've called me once.....ONCE since placing my order.
Old 6/19/10, 09:57 AM
V6 Member

I live about 3 miles from that dealer. I will definitely keep Percy in mind when I (hopefully) do my A Plan order on a 2012 5.0 Vert.