Old 2/3/12, 07:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
congrats looks great. Hopefully I will get to drive one of those some day
Old 2/4/12, 06:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xtc.inc
Wow thats real serious. He did a bang up job taping it too... no bugs or dirt or crap will mess with your paint on the drive home. Enjoy!
I can just see it now, 20 years later at some car show... Some guy walking up to the owner and saying, "What's up with that weird blue tape on your car?" ... "It's 100% original! As is when I drove it off the dealer lot!"

Enjoy that beautiful Shelby!
Old 2/4/12, 07:39 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
awesomeness....congrats
Old 2/4/12, 08:32 AM
GT Member

Speed ticket red .... Awesome ride!!!
Old 2/4/12, 12:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice car dude!
Old 2/4/12, 01:49 PM
BB3
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on your new Shelby Ecrissman. I hope that you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.-----Bill
Old 2/4/12, 04:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xtc.inc
Wow thats real serious. He did a bang up job taping it too... no bugs or dirt or crap will mess with your paint on the drive home. Enjoy!
Thanks bud. Though that tape job isn't for his ride home but for the trip back from the dealer I went and got it from :-) Its why I got it myself, so I could tape it up as it was a 3 hour, 165 mile drive home. I didn't want anything happening to it on the ride back. We will tape it up when he picks it up on the 25th.

On a related note, I taped my car for 3 years every long trip I took. I got real good at making it look smooth and not bunched up. I enjoy doing this and will always do it for anyone who wants a Mustang that I get via dealer trade if they want it done :-)

Last edited by 05fordgt; 2/4/12 at 04:11 PM.
Old 2/5/12, 06:15 AM

I appreciated Jeff taking the time to tape everything up from our conversations I was very clear that I expected the finish to be flawless. It's pretty dirty in the pictures so I will be curious on the final inspection after it gets a good bath. At least we know the tape protected it from anything kicking up from the road. Looks pretty clean where the tape removed some flith!

Dude, I am freaking going crazy waiting to get this car. I don't know if I can wait that long to come get it. My wife is trying to torture me because we really aren't free until then, and transfering funds takes time since it is from different banks once I withdrawl from one and I deposit into another I gotta wait until it clears before I can get a cashiers check for you, pretty lame.

Then on top of that we are in Pa in February, for all I know we'll have plane tickets bought and we could get blasted with a snow storm, so I may have to fly out again or hire a enclosed transport. To many unknowns for me I am going crazy!

Maybe when / if you get bored you can pacify me with some random pictures to keep my sanity.

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Thanks bud. Though that tape job isn't for his ride home but for the trip back from the dealer I went and got it from :-) Its why I got it myself, so I could tape it up as it was a 3 hour, 165 mile drive home. I didn't want anything happening to it on the ride back. We will tape it up when he picks it up on the 25th.

On a related note, I taped my car for 3 years every long trip I took. I got real good at making it look smooth and not bunched up. I enjoy doing this and will always do it for anyone who wants a Mustang that I get via dealer trade if they want it done :-)
Old 2/5/12, 07:03 AM
I Have No Life

There is only so much Jeff can do upon obtaining it from the other dealer. So his tape job was a great idea and indeed would have saved your car from any rock chips from that 3.5 hour drive.

However, he had NO control over what the prior things the other dealer did. From experience, I can tell you that 95% of dealers have NO idea how to detail a car, even if on a showroom floor. So chances are high that your shelby is all swirled and marred up from idiots who wash, and wipe your car off all day everyday since they got it. What's worse, some dealers try their hand at Buffing it, and that's when all the holograms show up.

Good news is that you can always correct the paint...just depends on how deep you need to cut the paint to do so.
Old 2/5/12, 08:11 AM

I totally agree, I appreciated the fact that Jeff is a car guy and understands how important it is to try to keep a car flawless. The fact that he went to all the effort is something I really appreciated. He even told me he does the same thing to his personal vehicle for longer drives to shows. I know he had went above and beyond what any other person would do to try to preserve the car. I understand he only has so much control over the finish, and it’s pretty obvious he did an outstanding job. Furthermore he inspected the car before driving it back and from everything I have seen and heard from and about him I trust him.

Originally Posted by FromZto5
There is only so much Jeff can do upon obtaining it from the other dealer. So his tape job was a great idea and indeed would have saved your car from any rock chips from that 3.5 hour drive.

However, he had NO control over what the prior things the other dealer did. From experience, I can tell you that 95% of dealers have NO idea how to detail a car, even if on a showroom floor. So chances are high that your shelby is all swirled and marred up from idiots who wash, and wipe your car off all day everyday since they got it. What's worse, some dealers try their hand at Buffing it, and that's when all the holograms show up.

Good news is that you can always correct the paint...just depends on how deep you need to cut the paint to do so.

Last edited by Ecrissman; 2/5/12 at 08:16 AM.
Old 2/5/12, 11:01 AM
I Have No Life

Yep, Jeff's a stand up guy.

I used to do the same thing he does... I even bought those stupid leather bras (OEM of course) and put blue tape UNDER it, on my paint, then the Leather bra on top of that for added protection. The blue tape under it is to protect the paint from the bra rubbing against it (yes, it will marr and scratch it).

Now I went with a clear bra. Completely buffed the surface underneath it first to be swirl free, then worked with the installer to make sure applied correctly, then voila... I have a semi permanent shield on my car Once the film gets tired and old in a few years, I get it reapplied. Paint remains flawless underneath.
Old 2/5/12, 11:06 AM

I was reading in one of your posts you went with a clear bra. I can see from you pic's you are picky like myself. I use the porter cable polisher that I bought from Meguiers oh i dont know 20 years ago. I haven't used the chemicals that you mentioned but think I will give them a try, you have gotten great results. I had a bra on my 1986 5.0 LX and wish I would have taped the front of the car. Totaly destroyed the finish.

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Yep, Jeff's a stand up guy.

I used to do the same thing he does... I even bought those stupid leather bras (OEM of course) and put blue tape UNDER it, on my paint, then the Leather bra on top of that for added protection. The blue tape under it is to protect the paint from the bra rubbing against it (yes, it will marr and scratch it).

Now I went with a clear bra. Completely buffed the surface underneath it first to be swirl free, then worked with the installer to make sure applied correctly, then voila... I have a semi permanent shield on my car Once the film gets tired and old in a few years, I get it reapplied. Paint remains flawless underneath.