Sponsored By:

My GT got tagged by street racing Vette

Search this Thread

Old 7/27/16, 10:20 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
So is this car Lava Black or not? It can be hard to tell in photos
The Paint code for my car is UA. The paint code that the body shop got from PPG using 2 different scanners was not a Ford paint code, they could be wrong but don't want to say more than that on here.

The Ford vehicle information report says my paint code should be PNUAA - EBONY SOLID C/C
Old 7/27/16, 10:33 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Just because a vehicle sustained unibody misalignment doesn't always mean that a car has to be totaled. The vast majority of collisions these days result in some degree misalignment which can be safely corrected within specs.

But the OP's unibody is more than just tweaked. Just a visual look-see shows that structurally it certainly requires a 1/4, outer wheelhouse, rear floor section at minimum, bumper reinforcement and a rear body panel. It probably will need an inner wheelhouse, and possibly the rear rail member. Mechanically it also requires the rear muffler, the entire rear end, wheel/tire, l/r suspension assembly and likely the rear x-member. And there's a whole lot of cosmetic stuff going on.

If I was adjusting this claim I'd recommend a total loss.
Thanks for the good information. I did open and close both doors getting things out of the car to move into my Flex and they didn't bind at all. So I think it is still pretty straight.

Body shop has it on the lift working up the estimate for the insurance now, he noted that he needs to look at most of the stuff you mentioned. At this point it will be about the cost of replacing all the parts required to put it back in the state it was in.

Still have fingers and toes crossed it is totaled. If they repair it, I will loose 5-8K of what I could have sold the car a week ago for.
Old 7/27/16, 11:34 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by tbone004
Still have fingers and toes crossed it is totaled.
I would want the car totaled too. Generally insurance companies will total @ 70-85% of value, but there is no set number etched in stone. I've totaled cars at as little as 50% to value if I had strong suspicions that there was significant hidden damage. While the shop will write an estimate based on what they think will be the repair cost, an adjuster will only write an inspection report for what he can visually verify as being damaged. Those two reports can vary greatly.

Ultimately it's the insurance company's call, but if they value customer service as much as the company I retired from, all you have to do is express serious concern about safety issues. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Hopefully you are filing this claim with your own insurance company. Things will happen more quickly. Your own carrier doesn't need to investigate the claim in order for you to collect since you have coverage regardless of fault. However, since there could be mitigating circumstances considering the nature of the loss, the other carrier can legally delay settlement while they investigate the loss and their limits of liability.

From what you've described you are the injured party @ 100%; it may be determined later that the other two (or more) parties need to share the negligence. That could take time.

Good luck...keep us in the loop.
Old 7/27/16, 11:56 AM
GT Member

I have started the process with my insurance company already. Since I carry broad form on this car and my son was found at zero fault I have no deductible. The body shop should have the estimate completed this afternoon and he will send that to my insurance for them to make the final decision of what to do.

I plan on stopping by the shop this afternoon to look at the underside while he has it on the lift. He should have some of the inner panels out by now so hopefully I can see this also.

Again, thanks for all the great information!
Old 7/28/16, 01:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I have started the process with my insurance company already. Since I carry broad form on this car and my son was found at zero fault I have no deductible. The body shop should have the estimate completed this afternoon and he will send that to my insurance for them to make the final decision of what to do.

I plan on stopping by the shop this afternoon to look at the underside while he has it on the lift. He should have some of the inner panels out by now so hopefully I can see this also.

Again, thanks for all the great information!
Hope everything goes well. Mine was t boned bent the rear end had to have new fender, door, quarter and rear bumper. Mine was gotta have it green paint was north of $500 a quart they didn't total it. Lost 5k on deprecated value.
Old 7/28/16, 10:09 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by ford20
I would be sitting on the door and trying to take a sledgehammer to the underside of that car just to make sure that it was totaled. I would not want that car back at all.
You stated what I had in my head.

Glad you're ok OP. But no way I'd want that car back in any "fixed" form.
Old 7/28/16, 11:44 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5

Glad you're ok OP. But no way I'd want that car back in any "fixed" form.
The retired insurance claims adjuster part of me says that a highly qualified shop could repair that type of damage within factory specs should the OP want to pursue that route (which he's stated he doesn't). A severe impact to that area is much less problematic than a similar severity to the nose.

However the emotional car guy Mustang owner in me wouldn't want it back either. Had something similar happened to my old-man Fusion and if the insurance company wanted it repaired, I wouldn't care. It's leased and I have less than 5K on it in 20 months. I hardly drive it.

But just knowing that my pride and joy suffered a major impact and incurred a substantial repair would make me crazy.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the OP's Mustang is written off.
Old 7/28/16, 11:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Wait, so if they total it, can you sell the Recaro seats???
Old 7/28/16, 12:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like a write off to me. Structure frame damage has been done to the car.
Old 7/28/16, 05:53 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,685 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
Wait, so if they total it, can you sell the Recaro seats???
My previous experience in totaling cars and dealing with the insurance companies goes like this. The insurance company tells you they'll give you 10k. You get the $ they get the car. If you want to sell the Recaros then the insurance company will subtract the cost of the seats from the10k.
Old 7/29/16, 06:10 AM
GT Member

Still waiting on the body shops estimate, he's suppose to call me when it's on the lift so I can go down and look at it. Hopefully it will happen today.

If I could take the Racaros out, I would shoe horn them in my 97 Cobra.

I know they won't fit just wishful thinking, I hate the stock seats in it.
Old 7/29/16, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm getting my car back today and the body shop did a great job. The
only problem was the 2 GT 350's sitting on the lot that got my attention.
Old 7/29/16, 10:03 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
Great news! Glad you got it back!

The 350s are drool worthy, but then sticker shock sets in.
Old 7/29/16, 10:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Great news! Glad you got it back!

The 350s are drool worthy, but then sticker shock sets in.
I was shocked, either one could be bought for 63K. Only 5K markup.
Old 7/29/16, 01:43 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
PICS!!!

Congrats though buddy, must feel good getting her back. Don't go trading her in on that S5550 now
Old 7/29/16, 02:18 PM
GT Member

Congrats on getting yours back. The GT350's are nice and a blast to drive.

I just got back from the shop and mine is going to be repaired, not crazy about it, but after crawling around under it and looking at every thing the frame and underside is straight. I think the guys at the shop will do a good job and I should be happy when I get it back. Estimate cost of repairs is around 12K, 8,300 in parts.

The axle took most of the damage, the other car bounced off the tire after crushing the quarter panel in. You can see where the axle tube starting pulling out of the diff and bent the trailing arm. No damage to any inside truck or cabin panels, the shock tower is straight. Wish I would have taken some pictures while I was under looking around. I will go back next week and get some.

We will see, I hate the thought of taking the hit on the value of the car. But my wife and I love the car so I guess we will be keeping it for a LONG time.

I will post pictures in a couple of weeks.

EDIT: Just looked at the estimate breakdown and updated cost to repair.

Last edited by tbone004; 7/29/16 at 04:00 PM.
Old 7/29/16, 02:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Ask for diminished value.
The following users liked this post:
tbone004 (7/29/16)
Old 7/29/16, 04:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ford20
Ask for diminished value.

I will have to check into this. Thanks for the tip.
Old 7/29/16, 04:50 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,685 Posts
Wow 14k and they didn't total it!
Old 7/29/16, 09:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I will have to check into this. Thanks for the tip.
And pay a little extra to have the whole car repainted so it all matches. Then have it wetsanded, polished and ceramic coated. It'll look better than new!

When I was hit last year, I paid $2k out of pocket to have the rest of my car repainted, emblems and antennas shaved. It was worth it.

Quick Reply: My GT got tagged by street racing Vette