2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

My First Experience at a BIG car show - in a Pony

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/12, 07:17 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
My First Experience at a BIG car show - in a Pony

I've been to many car shows in the past, but I just wanted to jot down my observations this time around, which I thought were somewhat hilarious. As some of you know, I've been an import owner/driver all my life, prior to Marilyn. I drove an Integra, RX7, Altima, G35 c, and 370Z as my "fun" cars in the past. Let's just say Marilyn is "miles above the rest" in terms of pure joy and fun.

But anyways, I get to the car show a bit early, and I am behind two 2012 brand new Subaru STI's... gorgeous cars no doubt. So the show attendant motions the 2 STI's to go wayyyyyyy in the back. They park about 10 rows behind the front. Then I come up. I'm the first stang there, so they motion me to create my own row. So I proceed to follow the 2 STI's in the back. I soon get called/corrected to say no, not in the back, but come here in the FRONT. RIGHT UP FRONT by the entrance. LOL. Another couple stangs get there as well, and they motion all 3 of us to start a new line/row of cars right at the entrance.... while the imports are ALL the way in the back.

I mention this story because when I used to go to shows in my G and Z, I too, got motioned to the "back" of the show. But now, I'm up front. LOL. Go figure. Car racism? hehe

Another observation, there were also a bunch of camaros there, but I finally got to experience first hand, the "dislike" that these two types of owners possess. I mean, I prefer my stang obviously, but these other older folks (of both) simply don't like one another. I saw a Stang owner blatantly say, "Now THAT is just UGLY." as a Camaro drove past to park in another line. LOL. Upon walking amongst the Camaro's (I knew a buddy who has one), I overheard the other Camaro owners say how the Stangs were simply "old tech" and "could not hold a candle" to their rides... and that coming from a V6 Camaro owner. I'm like whaaaaaat?

Anyways... I just thought it was hilarious. Here's some pics. I'm right up FRONT!!! And I parked next to my buddy's 13 and a Shelby GT-H? I didn't take too many pics. Was too busy looking at the cars.

Name:  DSC_0403.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  69.2 KB

Name:  DSC_0407.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  94.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0410.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  156.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0416.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  138.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0417.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  78.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0419.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  68.8 KB

And here were those 2 STI's I was talking about.

Name:  DSC_0413.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  92.5 KB

And here's my very good buddy's Vette (the only other swirl-free car at the show), and the only Chevy I'd park next to

Name:  DSC_0414.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  115.7 KB

I find that hilarious, that out of the 100 or so cars there, only my and my buddy's vette (who I helped detail in the past) are the ONLY vehicles that are swirl-free. The rest of the cars, I kid you not, they look good from afar, but when you get up close, the sun does not lie. Out comes the spiderwebbing, the swirls, the holograms (inexperienced buffer users), and scratches. ugh.

Last edited by FromZto5; 6/16/12 at 12:23 PM.
Old 6/16/12, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say to all the Import drivers the ford tag line "Have you driven a Ford lately?" I say this because I have a lot of friends with imports and when they even got in my 2006 Mustang they were amazed. I started out in the import world myself and I would never go back after owning the Ford and Mercury's.
Old 6/16/12, 10:54 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Looked a nice show

Tell your buddy, I love his 2013....but PLEASE lower it

Y'know, I think it's a shame Mustang and Camaro owners can't get on. We should ALL celebrate the fact there are 3 great pony cars to choose from and respect each others rides. Even if the Mustang is the best
Old 6/16/12, 11:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Looked a nice show

No kidding!! That looks like a 5 inch gap
Old 6/16/12, 11:40 AM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Zto5 - great pictures, love your Kona Blue. You and I share very very similar car stories. I, too, was a former RX7 and G35 import guy. My first drive in a 2011 GT changed all of that. I, too, take my ride to car shows, and these older guys who fued (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) are so silly and single-minded. I, too, love and appreciate how great ALL of the modern American performance cars are. I have a big Father's Day car show tomorrow, let's see what happens...
Ps: enjoy your Mustang and keep showing it off!

Last edited by PJRManagement; 6/16/12 at 11:41 AM.
Old 6/16/12, 12:19 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by GreenCars
I have to say to all the Import drivers the ford tag line "Have you driven a Ford lately?" I say this because I have a lot of friends with imports and when they even got in my 2006 Mustang they were amazed. I started out in the import world myself and I would never go back after owning the Ford and Mercury's.
I'm with you for sure. All it took for me was a 20 minute test drive, and I was ready to get rid of my z . I was so impressed with the 5.0

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Looked a nice show

Y'know, I think it's a shame Mustang and Camaro owners can't get on. We should ALL celebrate the fact there are 3 great pony cars to choose from and respect each others rides. Even if the Mustang is the best
Originally Posted by newpony
I've told him that before, plenty of times. However I don't know him that well to try to push him further. Between springs and exhaust and clear bra and tint, etc he's not sure which to get first. Lol. But yeah for me, springs were an immediate must. I could not live with that 4x4 look.

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
Zto5 - great pictures, love your Kona Blue. You and I share very very similar car stories. I, too, was a former RX7 and G35 import guy. My first drive in a 2011 GT changed all of that. I, too, take my ride to car shows, and these older guys who fued (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) are so silly and single-minded. I, too, love and appreciate how great ALL of the modern American performance cars are. I have a big Father's Day car show tomorrow, let's see what happens...
Ps: enjoy your Mustang and keep showing it off!
thanks pj. Right, I appreciate ALL the cars, period, regardless of make...there's just some that I prefer more over others . As someone who has actually owned an import vs a domestic ford, I can say that I much prefer my ford stang
Old 6/16/12, 05:28 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5

I'm with you for sure. All it took for me was a 20 minute test drive, and I was ready to get rid of my z . I was so impressed with the 5.0

I've told him that before, plenty of times. However I don't know him that well to try to push him further. Between springs and exhaust and clear bra and tint, etc he's not sure which to get first. Lol. But yeah for me, springs were an immediate must. I could not live with that 4x4 look.

thanks pj. Right, I appreciate ALL the cars, period, regardless of make...there's just some that I prefer more over others . As someone who has actually owned an import vs a domestic ford, I can say that I much prefer my ford stang
Who are you?! Vin Diesel?!
Old 6/16/12, 08:09 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by ShadowFox
Who are you?! Vin Diesel?!
huh...whaaaat? I am lost.
Old 6/16/12, 09:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Looks like fun, FromZto5. Take a little trip next weekend and come down to the Mustang Club of KC annual show on Saturday, followed by this show on Sunday (http://www.kcai.edu/events/special-e...t-car-concours). Pretty sure that's the best car show within 500 miles of here.

Anyway, I'm trying to channel my inner-you tomorrow and get my car polished and waxed in prep for the show. Wish I could take off Friday the 22nd and do it, but work is kind of important
Old 6/16/12, 10:01 PM
GT Member

Great story. I will add my own take.
I bought my 2001 Bullitt in July of 2001, and shortly joined a local late model Mustang club in Tampa, called Modern Mustangs. Got in with both feet, did a ton of shows, and eventually helped run the NMRA Bradenton and FFW Orlando/Gainsville car shows. I moved to Rapid City South Dakota in 2004 (Air Force).
Drove my car the 2k+ miles and entered into a large show 3 weeks later. Due to road trip, I did a full on detail the weekend before to include removing all wheels and steam cleaning engine. Car was polished/waxed looked spectacular, not a swirl in site... Drove to the show, got to the entrance and gate person thought I was lost, not actually entering a "stock" car... That set the tone for the rest of the day. They didn't separate the cars, just parked you in the order you came in. I was between a 67 Impala and a 70 something Camaro. As a matter of fact there was only 4 cars newer than 1976. So when my wife and I get up and start wiping the car down, the other contestants proceed to talk trash about a "new" car amongst the "muscle".

We ignored them, finished quick detailing, then getting the Bullitt memorabilia set out. I decided to take some pictures and compare the paint jobs versus finish (swirling). Turns out I had the only car swirl free... Later on, a gentleman who had a recently restored Challenger asked me what a Bullitt was and the history of the car. During my explanation, the Camaro owner made a few more jabs about my "stock" car. At this point I had enough and made sure to point out very loudly that my "stock" mustang which recently drove cross country has flawless, swirl free paint, while has car looked like it was washed with a brillo sponge.

I lived in South Dakota for three years and the car show scene really sucked. Most folks had no respect for anything made after 1980. I always had to deal with that attitude at most shows. I will include some picts of my car taken that year at a few shows to give you an idea of how it looked. As a matter of fact, I haven't entered a show since moving to Texas in 2007, just don't have my heart in it any more. With the 2012 in the stable, I might get out some this year, we will see.
Attached Thumbnails My First Experience at a BIG car show - in a Pony-car2.jpg   My First Experience at a BIG car show - in a Pony-car3.jpg   My First Experience at a BIG car show - in a Pony-car7.jpg  
Old 6/16/12, 11:58 PM
GT Member

huh...whaaaat? I am lost.
Yeah, you would have had to watch the movies more than once.

Fast and Furious:

Dominic Toretto: I'm the kind of boy who appreciates a good body, regardless of the make. ( talking to a girl while looking at a gran torino)

IDK.
Old 6/17/12, 06:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by newpony
It's got everything to do with the surface it's parked on, which in this case, ain't nowhere near flat and level". If it were parked on a paved surface, it would look a little less extreme. Beyond that, it's a '13, and the owner is probably tapped out as far as disposable income is concerned. I'm sure he'll get around to the necessary mods.
Old 6/17/12, 07:03 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Looks like fun, FromZto5. Take a little trip next weekend and come down to the Mustang Club of KC annual show on Saturday, followed by this show on Sunday (http://www.kcai.edu/events/special-e...t-car-concours). Pretty sure that's the best car show within 500 miles of here.

Anyway, I'm trying to channel my inner-you tomorrow and get my car polished and waxed in prep for the show. Wish I could take off Friday the 22nd and do it, but work is kind of important
Kyle thanks for kind words buddy. I would LOVE to go to that show! I think kc is probably 5 hours from here? I would absolutely go...if I single. Lol. But having 2 kids, one of them barely 5 weeks old, I think my days of driving anywhere anytime are probably over . I shudder to think what that would be like .. 5 hours with a screaming baby in the back. Lol.

Perhaps my wife can drive the minivan in tow? Lol.

That sounds like a really great car show man. Those are the kinds I really want to go to. You going? if so, please take pics!!!

Originally Posted by Bullitt 3309
I bought my 2001 Bullitt in July of 2001, and shortly joined a local late model Mustang club in Tampa, called Modern Mustangs. Got in with both feet, did a ton of shows, and eventually helped run the NMRA Bradenton and FFW Orlando/Gainsville car shows. I moved to Rapid City South Dakota in 2004 (Air Force).
Drove my car the 2k+ miles and entered into a large show 3 weeks later. Due to road trip, I did a full on detail the weekend before to include removing all wheels and steam cleaning engine. Car was polished/waxed looked spectacular, not a swirl in site... Drove to the show, got to the entrance and gate person thought I was lost, not actually entering a "stock" car... That set the tone for the rest of the day. They didn't separate the cars, just parked you in the order you came in. I was between a 67 Impala and a 70 something Camaro. As a matter of fact there was only 4 cars newer than 1976. So when my wife and I get up and start wiping the car down, the other contestants proceed to talk trash about a "new" car amongst the "muscle".

We ignored them, finished quick detailing, then getting the Bullitt memorabilia set out. I decided to take some pictures and compare the paint jobs versus finish (swirling). Turns out I had the only car swirl free... Later on, a gentleman who had a recently restored Challenger asked me what a Bullitt was and the history of the car. During my explanation, the Camaro owner made a few more jabs about my "stock" car. At this point I had enough and made sure to point out very loudly that my "stock" mustang which recently drove cross country has flawless, swirl free paint, while has car looked like it was washed with a brillo sponge.

I lived in South Dakota for three years and the car show scene really sucked. Most folks had no respect for anything made after 1980. I always had to deal with that attitude at most shows. I will include some picts of my car taken that year at a few shows to give you an idea of how it looked. As a matter of fact, I haven't entered a show since moving to Texas in 2007, just don't have my heart in it any more. With the 2012 in the stable, I might get out some this year, we will see.
Firstly, absolutely gorgeous bullitt. Do you still have it? I still have a secret love for that style body. I almost got a 03 cobra back then... Memories.

2ndly, yes, that's how most folks are here too. It's a must-be domestics life only, and most prefer oldies styles... Like 60's and 70's style. Though I like them, I don't prefer them, but I still appreciate them. A car is a car is a car...ESP a really clean detailed swirl free one. THAT'S what I really appreciate

Originally Posted by ShadowFox
Yeah, you would have had to watch the movies more than once.

Fast and Furious:

Dominic Toretto: I'm the kind of boy who appreciates a good body, regardless of the make. ( talking to a girl while looking at a gran torino)

IDK.
Ahhhhhh. Yes I've seen all of them. Now I remember that line. Sorry, I will blame my memory on old age lol

Originally Posted by jsimmons
It's got everything to do with the surface it's parked on, which in this case, ain't nowhere near flat and level". If it were parked on a paved surface, it would look a little less extreme. Beyond that, it's a '13, and the owner is probably tapped out as far as disposable income is concerned. I'm sure he'll get around to the necessary mods.
yeah he was a younger guy...maybe 20s... I won't make assumptions on his financial status, all I know is some folks do indeed buy cars and go upside down and sideways in debt just to get a car. Not me. So I wish him the best of luck and I still love his pony. I just love mine more
Old 6/17/12, 07:05 AM
Cobra Member

As a matter of fact, I haven't entered a show since moving to Texas in 2007, just don't have my heart in it any more. With the 2012 in the stable, I might get out some this year, we will see.
I feel your pain. When I lived in San Diego, I entered a show with a red primer 1965 Fastback R-Model clone (essentially a daily driver race car). I got the trophy for best something or other (I forget now, it was almost 30 years ago), and boy did that raise hackles - I'm not sure if it was because the car was in primer, or because it was a GT-350 clone. After that, I was treated like crap at California car shows, and that's when I decided car shows were a waste of time because so many of the participants are asshats.

Texas Examples:

0) I went to the Vintage Air Annual Show, and a number of people stated that my car looked real nice, but a Shelby owner said it was a "lame attempt" and making my car look like a Shelby (despite the fact that there is no Shelby badging on the car).

1) I went to the wounded warrior show off Bandera Road in May, just to look at the cars, and drove my 2012 V6 and parked out in the field with the rest of the viewing public. A Shelby KR owner (who was showing his car) trash-talked my car - despite the fact that it wasn't even in the show.

2) I went to the monthly drive-in meet at The Rim in May, and when everyone found out my car was a V6, they completely ignored it.

Screw 'em. I won't be doing car shows any more, and even mere drive-in meets are iffy at this point.

By the way, your Bullit is ****, man. I don't generally go for the S95's, but I *do* appreciate a well-cared-for car, and yours is sweet.
Old 6/17/12, 07:08 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by jsimmons
I feel your pain. When I lived in San Diego, I entered a show with a red primer 1965 Fastback R-Model clone (essentially a daily driver race car). I got the trophy for best something or other (I forget now, it was almost 30 years ago), and boy did that raise hackles - I'm not sure if it was because the car was in primer, or because it was a GT-350 clone. After that, I was treated like crap at California car shows, and that's when I decided car shows were a waste of time because so many of the participants are asshats.

Texas Examples:

0) I went to the Vintage Air Annual Show, and a number of people stated that my car looked real nice, but a Shelby owner said it was a "lame attempt" and making my car look like a Shelby (despite the fact that there is no Shelby badging on the car).

1) I went to the wounded warrior show off Bandera Road in May, just to look at the cars, and drove my 2012 V6 and parked out in the field with the rest of the viewing public. A Shelby KR owner (who was showing his car) trash-talked my car - despite the fact that it wasn't even in the show.

2) I went to the monthly drive-in meet at The Rim in May, and when everyone found out my car was a V6, they completely ignored it.

Screw 'em. I won't be doing car shows any more, and even mere drive-in meets are iffy at this point.

By the way, your Bullit is ****, man. I don't generally go for the S95's, but I *do* appreciate a well-cared-for car, and yours is sweet.
So sorry to hear that man. I too can appreciate a car for what it is... Something that gives its owner pride and satisfaction. Rule is, never f*** with a mans ride
Old 6/17/12, 07:10 AM
I Have No Life

Bullitt3309 I forgot to ask you... How do you like your resonator deletes with the gt500s? I'm thinking about doing this, but am worried about drone, tinniness, and having to cut and weld. Are you happy with it? And is it much louder than gt500s alone?
Old 6/17/12, 07:34 AM
Cobra Member

yeah he was a younger guy...maybe 20s... I won't make assumptions on his financial status, all I know is some folks do indeed buy cars and go upside down and sideways in debt just to get a car. Not me. So I wish him the best of luck and I still love his pony. I just love mine more
I envy the kids nowadays that can get their hands on a new Mustang. I'm old and supposedly "know better", and looking at the numbers, it just didn't make sense for me to get a V8 or a Shelby (even though I could have afforded either one). I wanted a Mustang, and my wife and I agreed that I should spend no more than 30K on it. So I researched and shopped and researched some more.

I figured I could get either a V6 or a base GT. I reasoned that a base GT would have soaked up the entire 30K, leaving me with no mod money, and I had a very distinct vision of what I wanted my car to look like.

I got a V6 base automatic because the price is very low ($21,500 out the door), which meant low payments ($330) in case the economy went further south than it is right now. This also meant that I now had $10k to "do with as I please". My car was only 1-1/2 months old by the time I was done with the outside of the car and the suspension.

The end result is a very unique and awesome looking custom car that's liked by most and reviled by a select few. Yes, I hate the cloth interior (I get a static shock every time I get out of the car), and yes, I wish I at least had a Shaker 500 stereo so I could play music off my USB thumb drive, and yes, I almost wish I had a V8, but when you look at the car, your first thought is "DA-YAMMM!"
Old 6/17/12, 08:37 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I took the R to its first car show with me yesterday. 110 cars and sponsored by a local car club of which I am not a member.

They just parked you in order of arrival. I parked next to a 4 or 5 Mopar guys with the 70s Challengers and Dusters and the people next to me were older and all very nice. Almost nobody knew what a 2000 R was and that's cool, I wouldn't expect them to. I was there to show a rarish car to some car enthusiasts and maybe somebody would walk away knowing a little more about this particular Mustang model.

There were a lot of nice custom classics there and when the time came for awards they rightly received them for all their efforts. Hot Rods mostly. The awards were for Top Ten in the entire show. Of the top ten, 8 were some sort of hot rod or cool old truck, 1 was a '73 Mustang, and then a 2004 Aston Martin. Nothin wrong with that, but these were the types of cars the members of the club drive and these were the types of cars the judges from the club naturally liked.

What I thought was funny was that it was a local show with mostly local people but some did make the drive from up to 100 miles or so, but out of all these people I knew none of them. They all knew each other being car show people, but I've lived here almost all my life and I knew nobody.

The cool thing about a Mustang is that it's a Mustang. Young people like them and old people too. They appeal to all ages for the most
part. Easily identifiable.

The only mistake I made was taking a stock car to a custom car show evidently.
Old 6/17/12, 02:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Kyle thanks for kind words buddy. I would LOVE to go to that show! I think kc is probably 5 hours from here? I would absolutely go...if I single. Lol. But having 2 kids, one of them barely 5 weeks old, I think my days of driving anywhere anytime are probably over . I shudder to think what that would be like .. 5 hours with a screaming baby in the back. Lol.

Perhaps my wife can drive the minivan in tow? Lol.

That sounds like a really great car show man. Those are the kinds I really want to go to. You going? if so, please take pics!!!
Well, after detailing today, I'm about ready to drive up to you and see if I can pay you to do it for me. My patience just isn't there, though I keep trying to find that zen, therapeutic place you seem to find!

Anyway, here's the show pictures from last year - how fantastic a show was this? There were three Ferraris and nobody was paying them hardly any attention. Just spectacular stuff: https://plus.google.com/photos/10668...76792653322497

Thread hijack over!
Old 6/17/12, 03:03 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Bullitt is still my favorite, i love that

Quick Reply: My First Experience at a BIG car show - in a Pony