Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My Borla Touring Axleback experience

Search this Thread

Old 10/15/11, 08:48 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Borla Touring Axleback experience

So after reading about all kinds of exhaust systems on this and other forums for months, listening to exhaust clips, and reading tons of information about them I finally decided on getting the Borla Touring Axleback for my 2011 Mustang GT. I wanted a deeper, throatier exhaust note, but not one that is too loud. My car is in a parking garage with people living right above where my car is parked. I didn't want to upset them too much.

From the outside the sound is great. It is definitely louder than stock. I was suprised by how loud (especially cold) startup is. But it sounds great. I love the rumble.

On the inside the sound is nice as well. However, at around 2000rpm there is definitely some drone that I tried to get used to. Since it is such a low-frencency noise it is hard to ignore. When cruising on the highway and there is even a slight load on the engine there is an annoying hum. It is not that loud, however when you accelerate hard it gets fairly loud and irritating. Once you are past 2000rpm it is gone and the exhaust sounds almost like stock.

Maybe my expectations were a bit too high after reading all the recommendations for Borla. Today I removed them. Hopefully I can recover some of my costs.

Immediately after removing them and driving with the stock exhaust I noticed that even with stock there is a slight hum around 2000rpm. However, it is barely noticeable. It seems that any exhaust that has a louder, deepr sound than stock will accentuate this noise.

Thanks for reading and I hope you found it somewhat informative.
Old 10/16/11, 06:31 AM
V6 Member

That's unfortunate. I hadn't heard of a drone with the Touring exhaust. I have Borla Sport's and love them.
Like you, Fossy207 in Toronto wanted a deeper tone without excessive noise. He went with the GT500 exhaust and is very happy with them.
Old 10/16/11, 06:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm telling you guys, the Flowmaster Super 44's are awesome on these 11+ 5.0's. I have a BBR O/R X-Pipe and these Flows and there is zero drone. See the vid in my sig.
Old 10/16/11, 07:29 AM

I've said it once before, go with ARH long tube headers and stainless steel works cat back exhaust, and get rid of the **** cats. I have it on my 11 and it's beautiful. Best sounding one that i have heard.
Old 10/16/11, 01:44 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by romendo
So after reading about all kinds of exhaust systems on this and other forums for months, listening to exhaust clips, and reading tons of information about them I finally decided on getting the Borla Touring Axleback for my 2011 Mustang GT. I wanted a deeper, throatier exhaust note, but not one that is too loud. My car is in a parking garage with people living right above where my car is parked. I didn't want to upset them too much.

From the outside the sound is great. It is definitely louder than stock. I was suprised by how loud (especially cold) startup is. But it sounds great. I love the rumble.

On the inside the sound is nice as well. However, at around 2000rpm there is definitely some drone that I tried to get used to. Since it is such a low-frencency noise it is hard to ignore. When cruising on the highway and there is even a slight load on the engine there is an annoying hum. It is not that loud, however when you accelerate hard it gets fairly loud and irritating. Once you are past 2000rpm it is gone and the exhaust sounds almost like stock.

Maybe my expectations were a bit too high after reading all the recommendations for Borla. Today I removed them. Hopefully I can recover some of my costs.

Immediately after removing them and driving with the stock exhaust I noticed that even with stock there is a slight hum around 2000rpm. However, it is barely noticeable. It seems that any exhaust that has a louder, deepr sound than stock will accentuate this noise.

Thanks for reading and I hope you found it somewhat informative.
Hey man, you need to contact Borla directly and let them know your situation regarding the drone. I remember reading a post just like this awhile back; David Borla responded directly saying that there is supposed to be ZERO drone with their 2011 Mustang systems and sent the guy a new exhaust system, no questions asked (Borla has AWESOME customer service). Apparently, some systems had an issue that caused some slight drone, just like you're describing above.
Old 10/16/11, 03:46 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
Hey man, you need to contact Borla directly and let them know your situation regarding the drone.
That's an excellent idea. That will allow them to back up their claims of a drone-free exhaust.
Old 10/16/11, 08:03 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
Hey man, you need to contact Borla directly and let them know your situation regarding the drone. I remember reading a post just like this awhile back; David Borla responded directly saying that there is supposed to be ZERO drone with their 2011 Mustang systems and sent the guy a new exhaust system, no questions asked (Borla has AWESOME customer service). Apparently, some systems had an issue that caused some slight drone, just like you're describing above.
I saw that post and also David Borla's reply there. That's why they redesigned the Touring exhaust. Mine is the new design already. I wrote David Borla but have not heard anything back in almost a week.
Old 10/17/11, 10:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Have you given Corsa a try?
Old 10/17/11, 01:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Put a plug in the sound tube hole. You don't need it and it should fix your problem of power causing the sound to get worse. It's not volume that causes the issue, it's harmonics.
Old 10/17/11, 03:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Complaining about drone, or even having a name for such sound is for sissies.
Old 10/17/11, 04:38 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by wonger
Put a plug in the sound tube hole. You don't need it and it should fix your problem of power causing the sound to get worse. It's not volume that causes the issue, it's harmonics.
Maybe I can try that at some point. Just wondering if it makes much of a difference.
Old 10/17/11, 04:39 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mystickeith50
Complaining about drone, or even having a name for such sound is for sissies.
I guess I am a sissy, but I'd rather have no bleeding ears.
Old 10/17/11, 05:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Lol I was really kidding about the sissy thing, but I can't believe this noise affects you and others tonthe point you would say it makes your ears bleed....I mean really?
Old 10/17/11, 05:43 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VTXFrank
I'm telling you guys, the Flowmaster Super 44's are awesome on these 11+ 5.0's. I have a BBR O/R X-Pipe and these Flows and there is zero drone. See the vid in my sig.
Tom just watched your video and all I can say is daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnggg! that thing is MEAN!
Old 10/20/11, 04:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I understand the drone. I had it on my Shelby after installing the Ford Racing Stingers. I don't think you are over-reacting. You just need to change the harmonics.