2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

The Mustang Wave???

Search this Thread

Old 9/27/10 | 12:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

They're probably confused. Mustangs have a good fan base, but there's always been that part that bought one because it looks pretty. You don't really get that kind of crowd with motorcycles or Corvettes. Everyone is an enthusiast there.
Old 9/27/10 | 01:00 PM

I always wave to other snakes and moded cars, but will make an effort from now on to wave to all mustangs .
However:
1. A lot of mustangs out there and not most of them are enthusiast. Rent a car companies rent out 2010 v6's to people who could care less.

2. In the land of car to car shootings that is los angeles, a fist with a thumb sticking out, or any unique wave may be misinterpreted as a gang sign and invite a bullet from idiot gangster.

Maybe I'll stick to waving at moded / special edition mustangs only. As long as they don't have tattoos on their heads. LOL.

Last edited by GT500DAD; 9/27/10 at 01:03 PM.
Old 9/27/10 | 01:14 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by GT500DAD
2. In the land of car to car shootings that is los angeles, a fist with a thumb sticking out, or any unique wave may be misinterpreted as a gang sign and invite a bullet from idiot gangster.

Maybe I'll stick to waving at moded / special edition mustangs only. As long as they don't have tattoos on their heads. LOL.
I know LOL I even hesitate to give a friendly wave these days when someone lets you in traffic because they may mis-interpret it if they don't see all my fingers. I have an injured hand and the fingers don't extend all the way so I have to really be careful and give a sideways wave. LOL

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/27/10 at 01:15 PM.
Old 9/27/10 | 01:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I was backing out of a spot in a plaza. There were cars around me so I backed out slowly since my view was obstructed. A truck going past my rear honked, so I stepped on the brakes. Since he was behind, I raised my hand (all fingers up), as in "my bad." Then the guy gave me the middle finger. LOL. I'm assuming he thought I flipped him off first, or he's just an ***.
Old 9/27/10 | 07:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I pulled up next to a Camaro today and got a wave and then on the way home got a wave from another Camaro as we were passing. I never really think about it on the bike because its just the way it is with bikers , we always wave to each other. But coming from the Camaro drivers it just seemed like a muscle car thing. They obviously "get it".
Old 9/27/10 | 07:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SynisterGT
Here in NOLA it's more of a head nod instead of a wave. However I am nearly struck with inthusiam when I see another 'stang. I gotten props however from many different owners of different car classes.

Can't wait for the 5.0!
I have had terrible luck getting people to wave down here. I ran across one guy driving a Grabber Blue V6 on I-10 one day, and he waved back to me. Other than that, nothing.
Old 9/27/10 | 08:43 PM
Bullitt Member

My wave depends on the Mustang...I will not wave at a Mustang driver if his car looks like crap...the problem with a popular car like the Mustangs is the fact that THOUSANDS have been produced and sadly, some deserve to be put out to pasture. With women drivers, I try to see if they are even paying attention to what's coming at them. 99% of time, they are either looking straight ahead or chatting with someone on their mobile. The 1% that actually noticing another Mustang coming at them, I initiate the two finger wave with my right hand on top of the steering wheel. Some wave back, some don't.

Most Mustang GTs drivers will notice another GT coming at them...in most cases, I initiate the wave and I usually get a response. Same with Camaro drivers…If anything, they take looking at my car very seriously...as though I'm treading on their turf or something. I guess it helps that I’m the only 5.0 in town (as far as I know). It also helps that when I take my 5.0 out for a spin, she’s all dressed up and sparkling.

To show my age, I can remember driving my brand new foxbody 84 Mustang GT and vividly recall how enthusiastic we Mustang drivers were to see each other. We would wave, give thumbs up or even pull over and compare each other’s car. The 80’s was a very special time to own a Mustang GT. Hopefully with the resurrection of this new 5.0, maybe, just maybe, I can experience that camaraderie again.
I think that is what you're hoping to experience.
Old 9/27/10 | 09:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

^ hell ya, seems like the anyone with a 5.0 is very enthusiastic about it.
Old 9/28/10 | 06:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Isn't that part of the point though? The Mustang survived and thrived thru multiple oil crunches and generations in non-stop production since its introduction.

No other pony car, muscle car, or sports car from America can make that claim. Very few cars from any Country can make that claim.

Uhhh... there's the Corvette. Although there wasn't officially a 1983 model (the new C4 generation was released in March 1983 as a 1984 model), they have been in continuous production since 1953.
Old 9/28/10 | 06:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

I am used to waving on the bike but I doubt I'll wave in the Mustang unless initiated by the other car. In ten years, I've only had two Trans Am drivers wave. This is despite the fact that T/As are enthusiast cars (the body style is noticeably different from V6 "secretary" Firebirds) and they are significantly less common than Mustangs. I will usually give a thumbs up to any unusual or especially nice car - especially classic muscle cars of all makes.

Perhaps the owners of more obvious models such as the GT500 will wave to each other. Even among bikes, there are those who wave and those who don't. I never wave at a scooter unless they do first (of course, not being real bikers, they usually don't know about the wave). Sport bikes (crotch rockets) tend to wave only at other sport bikes. Some Harley riders don't wave because they are afraid of dropping their tools.
Old 9/28/10 | 07:05 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

No 'waves' where i live. I get waves and thumbs up from people in 'none' Mustangs. I've seen a couple of older 'riced out' Mustangs around that look like crap LOL!!!
Old 9/28/10 | 07:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Some Harley riders don't wave because they are afraid of dropping their tools.

or the stray/loose parts that they are hanging onto until the next stop

Just kidding Harley guys!
Old 9/28/10 | 07:56 AM
GT Member

I saw another Mustang (a vert) on the way home today and immediately thought of this thread. I gave the other driver a wave and he waved back!

From now on, all Mustangs will get a wave from me (or an engine rev).
Old 9/28/10 | 08:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Steven
. . . From now on, all Mustangs will get a wave from me (or an engine rev).
a nice 2nd gear chirp works too
Old 9/28/10 | 11:50 AM
Post *****

Uhhh... there's the Corvette. Although there wasn't officially a 1983 model (the new C4 generation was released in March 1983 as a 1984 model), they have been in continuous production since 1953.
Most will disagree with you exactly because of 1983. Corvette planners screwed up and didn't release an 83 to the public. Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

My buddy has the 84 "crossfire injection". And in spite of the challenges of the injection design, he keeps it because the 84 was the first release after the break in production.

No 1983 Corvettes were sold. Quality and production problems had delayed introduction of the new C4 generation so 1983 was passed over. 44 1983 cars were assembled. Some were used to sort out production details while others were assigned to engineering evaluation and crash testing. A few were part of a December 1982 press introduction at Riverside Raceway in California.
43 of the 44 1983 C4 Corvettes were destroyed. The one remaining car, number 23 (white), was retired to the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green KY where it is now on display. It is still owned by GM.
The C4 replacement was scheduled to be introduced in September 1983. The new design was a complete and complicated update that incorporated much new technology. Unfortunately the design team was unable to get everything ready and even though there was a desire to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Corvette with a 1983 model, they could not make it happen.

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/28/10 at 12:03 PM.
Old 9/28/10 | 01:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ah, but there is a difference between continuous release/availability and continuous production. The fact that there was a delay long enough to make GM call them 1984 models doesn't mean they weren't in production. The March 83 release could just as easily been called an 83 (or an 83.5 much like the original 64.5 Mustang). I consider this a completely different situation from something like the eight year absence of the Camaro or the 25 year gap in Challenger history.

Besides, there are some of us that would consider 1974-78 to be a gap in Mustang production.
Old 9/28/10 | 01:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Besides, there are some of us that would consider 1974-78 to be a gap in Mustang production.
Old 9/28/10 | 04:46 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Bert
I try to wave to all the pony cars if the timing works out . . . I get a response maybe 25-50% of the time.

I can usually spot the Mustang enthusiasts but sometimes too late . . . they usually wave back . . . the "secretaries" seem to think it's some kind of inappropriate behavior.
I get lots of waves and waves back.
Up here, I think a lot of the Stangs are strictly "fun" cars.
Like me, they have other vehicles for the dead of winter and day to day.
That means many of the people are truly enthusiasts and are looking for others.
Old 9/28/10 | 06:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Low key wave here. Guys usually wave back.
Old 10/3/10 | 02:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Steven
I saw another Mustang (a vert) on the way home today and immediately thought of this thread. I gave the other driver a wave and he waved back!

From now on, all Mustangs will get a wave from me (or an engine rev).
From this point forward I will wave at all stangs with the exception of riced out beaters and any MUSTANG II's. Actually I think I'd have to chase down a Mustang II and give the guy a high 5, just for ***** if nothing else.

My exception will be beaters and ricerstangs!

Quick Reply: The Mustang Wave???