Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Mustang...to refined?

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/10, 10:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by monkeystash
Less refined, and I wouldn't have bought one. This is a premium car in all respects, and that is what sold me.

Same here.... For $30K+++ I expect a quality product.

Unrefined POS's won't sell in today's market.
Old 9/12/10, 02:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by David Young
When you buy a Mustang, its only the starting point. Don't like the exhaust sound? Change it. Don't like the ride quality, too soft? Change the suspension. You want cams? Buy some.
Not happy with the new Mustang? Buy an old one.

I'm just saying, you can turn your Mustang into anything you want.

replace the parts that you don't like make it your own.
Old 9/12/10, 03:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Clino
So it's too refined but you're buying one anyways????

Although I do agree, it so happens that the Mustang is forced to be a lot of things to a lot of people these days. It's being stretched across a lot of different segments. Is it a muscle car, sports car, sporty coupe, luxury performance coupe etc????

I understand why, and that this has kept the Mustang alive and competitive all these years, but it's why I will keep buying the older ones when they were more in line with my particular idea of what the Mustang has traditionally been.

I can appreciate the new models, but their not really what a Mustang is to me. I prefer a car that's a bit rough around the edges, and sacrifices some comforts for the sake of character that not everyone can appreciate. I want to know that I'm driving a car that "isn't for everyone". I like that my Mom was a little scared to drive in my last car ('90 5.0). That's the way it should be.

That's just me, and I can understand that everyone is different, but that's just what the Mustang has always been for me, and it always will be. That's what makes them so much fun.
I completely agree with you. I like it a little rough around the edges. Sure changing the exhaust and cams out will make this car louder but at the same time unless I remove some sound deadening I won't here much interior wise.

Look at the Boss 302 as aperfect example. They took out 11lbs of sound deadening and started with a Base GT because Ford wanted to make the Boss more traditional to its heritage. That's all I'm stating as my opinion, I just wanted to know what other peoples opinion of this car is that is all. I am not taking anything away from Ford with what they have done with the new mustang. It is just interesting to see what direction they are taking for the future, that's all.

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
I've yet to drive one, but I think I'd be somewhat disappointed by the quietness. I love hearing all the creaks and rattles in my '02. I've listened to sound clips and videos of different exhausts on the new 5.0, and it just sounds too electronic for me. Not sure why that is, but I wish it had more of the raw sound of my GT.
It is very quiet, why do you think they added a sound tube on the '10+

Originally Posted by fdjizm
weirdest complaint yet, lol throw an o/r x and some mufflers and you are good to go
Not really a complaint just my opinion.

Originally Posted by tom_vilsack
you want unrefined...sir may i take you for a test drive in one of my foxes

you can join us in our daily game of "find the noise"
I would love one. My friend had a '92 but he had to sell it bc he didn't have enough cash to restore it.

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
I do know what the OP means though. I was stunned at the refinement when I test drove the 2010. Not just the upgraded interior that feels as good as an BMW, but the ride refinement. That 2010 was on Eibachs and 20" Shelby rims, but it put my car to shame in terms of refinement. The 2011 I drove recently felt much the same............just quicker

Both test cars were autos, which takes a little of the fun out of it for me (don't hate me guys, it's only my opinion). The manual gives me the involvement I crave. My daily driver BMW is an auto, so I'm well aware of the benefits, but my Mustang is a weekend toy, so I want it alive.....and NOISY!

The aftermarket is there to make the 2010+ whatever you want it to be. All I know is that, from the factory, it's a pretty amazing car

It is a great car from the factory. I am happy that Ford has been able to come this far in the past few years. Great job Ford.

Originally Posted by Bert
I guess it depends on what you want it for . . . . my 'stang is my daily driver so I like the refinement and the fact that it is quiet during easy cruising but also sounds great at heavy throttle (though a little louder exahaust would be an improvement)

If it was a weekend toy, I'd probably want it louder, but that's an easy fix.
This car will be my DD. I currently have an 07 GT that is my DD and it is perfect. It is pretty quiet at cruiing but when I get on it comes alive.

Originally Posted by Red_Rider
One of many errors. I was going to ask his age.
21. English wasn't my strong point.

Originally Posted by monkeystash
Less refined, and I wouldn't have bought one. This is a premium car in all respects, and that is what sold me.
Let me ask what did you have before this car?

Originally Posted by crescent_wrench
I think I understand what he is saying. Just add some aggressive axle-backs and you're good to go from there.
Will defintly add an exhaust to wake it up. That's all I wanted to see, if anybody agreed or had any opinions about this car. Nothing wrong IMO with the way the new 5.0 is, it just seems Ford is trying to go up one market and attract some BMW drivers as well as other people looking for a luxury sport coupe.

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
Because of the refinement the car is much more pleasurable to drive. I live driving this car way more than my 08 GT. I think when people put the louder exhausts on this car it ruins its character as the 05-09 could get away with this because of its rawness. The loud exhaust just does not fit this cars character at all. I think this is one Mustang they got perfect in stock form. The only thing i can see this car needs is a tune and maybe a CAI if you have the money to throw around. All the exterior add ons do not do justice to this car either as they did enhance the 05-09. Even some of the aftermarket wheels do not look good with this body style.
This Mustang is a grown ups Mustang. Let the teenagers and 20yr old punks have their loud, raw 09's and below.
Your right about that. This car has a completely different character then the 05-09s. The 1st gen S197 was a raw muscle car and Ford has gone the opposite but in a good way with the 2nd gens.

Im 21 and am certianly not a punk, as you put it.

Originally Posted by fdjizm
Mustangs are one of the most customizable cars on earth!, everything you want to change they have a part for, back seat bothering you? delete it. what's that? it's too quiet? choose from hundreds of exhaust setups.

that is the beauty of the mustang, unless your lame and keep it stock
My 07 is stock and I don't think its lame, but your are right the aftermarket for this car is amazing.

I was not trying to offend anyone. Sorry if I did, just trying to see what everybodies opinion with the direction Ford has gone with is. Ford really steped up the game, but in a different direction.
Old 9/12/10, 03:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I kind of see what you mean, but from a sound point I have to disagree. From the factory, sure they aren't that loud, but you can change that. There's a guy here on base that has a new 5.0 and he's already got an exhaust on it. Man, that thing sounds downright mean, and it's very loud too.

Check this video out of an 05, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNEeBPadQiQ&NR=1

If that's not loud or muscular sounding, I don't know what is? Sure it doesn't sound like an old pushrod, but that's because it isn't. New technology new sound, just a different type of muscle.
Old 9/12/10, 04:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

I know. I really meant just overall refinement, not just the exhaust. This car is awesome. I will be getting one but it is just so different then the previous mustang.
Old 9/12/10, 04:05 PM
Cobra R Member

No it's not TOO refined. In fact I think I am going TO buy TWO of them!
Old 9/12/10, 04:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Let me ask everyone this: Is the Boss not refined enough?
Old 9/12/10, 05:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

The improvements you mention that you think has led to the mustang being too refined are some of the reasons I bought a mustang. Take those refinememts away and I would have looked elsewhere.
Old 9/12/10, 05:46 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCCqhUbx3jk

3v Hotrod cams and full exhaust would do the trick.
Old 9/12/10, 05:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

I hope so, that sounds amazing.
Old 9/12/10, 10:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I definitely understand the point of "too refined", at least compared to previous generations of Mustangs. I thought my '07 GT was "rough" in comparison to my '10 GT. It's amazing what some good NVH work (sound deadening, tighter seams) and suspension tuning did to this V8 car's character. For a daily driver and for that "feeling of quality", the updates have definitely changed the "raw factor". However, when I compared my '07 GT to my '03 Mach 1, I was amazed at how "rough" the SN-95 car felt comparatively. I have driven a couple of Fox body GTs and thought how "rough" those felt compared to the Mach.

Given the price point now of the entry-level V8 car, my guess would be (and empirically confirmed by a few posts here) is that the target customer does NOT want something that would be deemed as "unrefined". The competitive landscape changed dramatically when the Camaro and Challenger came out.

By the way, I think the new standard Boss 302 might still be considered too cushy by some folks and more edgy by others, depending on how much high performance driving exposure one has.
Old 9/13/10, 01:05 AM
Cobra Member

It is quite easy to make a car feel less refined. It is MUCH more difficult to make it feel more refined. Good job Ford for building higher quality feeling (same as more refined) product.

And, if you think it is too refined, drive a C Class and compare the two....