Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Mustang factory under tired?

Search this Thread

Old 3/12/15, 10:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon302
Certain 285's will fit 9 inch rims just fine. When you compare the Shamero 1LE with good sticky tires at 285 square the "comparable" Track Pack GT is way out gunned. I can't speak for GT Premium or any other iteration/package, but the Track Pack cars should have been 275 or better 285 square with something other than the greasy horrible Pirelli tires.
I love how everyone hates on the Pirelli tires, sure there are better tires out there but the Pirelli tires are not bad!
I actually like them!
They are very easy to drive on and give good feed back.
I have been racing all types of motor sports, professionally and recreationally for over 15 years, it has more to do with the driver than the tire!
Sorry I just had to point this out because it drives me crazy!
And yes a 275 is as wide as you can go on a 9" rim and get the most usable contact patch.
Also I do agree the mustangs are and have always been under sized from the factory when it comes to tires!
Old 3/12/15, 11:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Automatic 5.0
275 is 20 mm wider than a 255, or .787 inches. It depends a lot on compound as well. Hard compound tires get poor traction. Soft tires are much better but they wear a lot faster. I'd love to put 275's all the way around on my '14. I will have to get different rims though. Mine has the stock 18X8" on it right now. I want the GT500 5 spoke rims.
Summit Racing has them for $170 ea w/free shipping.
Old 3/13/15, 03:59 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
I love how everyone hates on the Pirelli tires, sure there are better tires out there but the Pirelli tires are not bad!
I actually like them!
I have been racing all types of motor sports, professionally and recreationally for over 15 years, it has more to do with the driver than the tire!
And yes a 275 is as wide as you can go on a 9" rim and get the most usable contact patch.
Also I do agree the mustangs are and have always been under sized from the factory when it comes to tires!
Interesting that you should bring this up last year when I bought my 2013 GT with 255/40/19 Pirelli's I drove my car down outside of Boston to show it to my uncle who for many years did lots of racing of many types including quite a bit of auto cross. Anyway we went out for a drive and he loved my car. Soon the subject turned to tires and I said many guys on the Mustang forums complain about the stock Pirelli's what do you think? He said first off most people have no idea what is a good tire or a not so good tire they just jump on the tire bandwagon on line. He felt the Pirelli's were a fine tire that gave good feedback had good grip rode no better or worse then some other summer tires he has driven on he felt the tires were fine and better then the stock GY's that came stock on his hot Supercharged Catallac "can't recall the model but it's expensive and has big HP". He did feel that my Stang was under tired and that is why I started this topic. He recommended that when I replace the stock tires to maybe go to 275/40/19 all the way around and told me to come see him and we will go tire shopping! He's a great guy by the way.
Old 3/13/15, 05:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I actually like them!
Originally Posted by Kestral
Interesting that you should bring this up last year when I bought my 2013 GT with 255/40/19 Pirelli's I drove my car down outside of Boston to show it to my uncle who for many years did lots of racing of many types including quite a bit of auto cross. Anyway we went out for a drive and he loved my car. Soon the subject turned to tires and I said many guys on the Mustang forums complain about the stock Pirelli's what do you think? He said first off most people have no idea what is a good tire or a not so good tire they just jump on the tire bandwagon on line. He felt the Pirelli's were a fine tire that gave good feedback had good grip rode no better or worse then some other summer tires he has driven on he felt the tires were fine and better then the stock GY's that came stock on his hot Supercharged Catallac "can't recall the model but it's expensive and has big HP". He did feel that my Stang was under tired and that is why I started this topic. He recommended that when I replace the stock tires to maybe go to 275/40/19 all the way around and told me to come see him and we will go tire shopping! He's a great guy by the way.
Good points in these two posts.

By OEM tire standards, the BBP/Track Pack Pirellis are **** good tires and they were widely praised when they first showed up on this package back in 2010(?).

I suspect that as time wears on, folks sour on them as they seem to have a narrow operating temp range...once you crack into the 50*F range, they become very hard/slippery and they somehow exaggerate the wheelhop tendencies of these cars, especially when cold.

They also seem to live a very short life for an OEM tire. It seems that folks (like me) who crack 20,000 miles are the lucky ones. Many guys are below 2/32" before they hit 15,000. That's a fairly short life even by "summer tire" standards.

I have no regrets about springing for the package that came with these Pirellis. They're easily the best OEM tire I've ever had on a car.
Old 3/14/15, 12:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me just be clear here. They aren't my favorite tire. Mostly because of the operating range and street capability. They aren't the best either. I'm putting them to the test at the Ring and Hockenheim when it get warmer.
Old 3/14/15, 12:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Guys, there is quite a lot of confusion as to what the actual stock tire was on the 2012-2014.
In my case, it was an ALL season Pirelli in 235/50R18. That was on a GT premium!
Those tires were not great, but certainly also not really bad. In fact I had them on another car at one time, and they were great! It's just in this application, there are better out there. If I just used the car for normal commute, these tires would be just fine! But I use the car for fun. Corner carving, road trips etc. I can only imagine that the tires that came with the track pack were significantly better than the ones I got. If only because of the size and the fact that they were summer tires.

When I changed wheels (bigger, wider, staggered) I put summer tires on them. For me (I live in California, and I only use the car when it's dry), that was a huge improvement..... But then again: I don't think the way I use the car is considered normal.

What about the tires on the Boss or GT500? Do you feel Ford cut corners there as well?
Old 3/14/15, 01:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

The Pirelli Corsa that comes on the BOSS is a great tire.
Old 3/14/15, 05:54 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Great is a relative term. I haven't been impressed with them!
Old 3/14/15, 06:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
I think that is also a little bit of a problem with this entire thread.

Most of the thread seems to be generalizing quite a bit. And I've tried to show that "stock" is not the same as "stock". That's on the one hand the beauty of Mustang: so many combinations. But on the other hand general discussions like these are never comparing apples to apples. One needs to become very specific about his experience. Just saying the stock Pirellis are useless is not clear: which ones? What size, all season/summer, etc. what were you expecting of them? Daily commuter car, with no mods? Or heavily modified with super charger and 650+hp and only track use.

Just trying to make sense and learn from your input guys.
Old 3/14/15, 06:17 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Originally Posted by Plim
I think that is also a little bit of a problem with this entire thread. Most of the thread seems to be generalizing quite a bit. And I've tried to show that "stock" is not the same as "stock". That's on the one hand the beauty of Mustang: so many combinations. But on the other hand general discussions like these are never comparing apples to apples. One needs to become very specific about his experience. Just saying the stock Pirellis are useless is not clear: which ones? What size, all season/summer, etc. what were you expecting of them? Daily commuter car, with no mods? Or heavily modified with super charger and 650+hp and only track use. Just trying to make sense and learn from your input guys.
Bought stock and they are just noisy and the grip was good initially but has trailed off considerably and I've only got 10k on them!
Old 3/14/15, 06:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Bought stock and they are just noisy and the grip was good initially but has trailed off considerably and I've only got 10k on them!
which ones?
What is stock for you?
Old 3/14/15, 09:43 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

2013 Boss 302 MustangOEM Pirelli P Zero Tire Set 2x 255/40 ZR19; 2x 285/35 ZR19
Old 3/14/15, 10:35 PM
Bullitt Member

2013 Boss 302 MustangOEM Pirelli P Zero Tire Set 2x 255/40 ZR19; 2x 285/35 ZR19
Wow, these are summer tires right? So what did you replace them with? Are you happy with the replacement?
Old 3/15/15, 04:09 AM
Banned

My base model came from the factory under tired, under dampend, and under braked! Im running 275/45/19 square right now with no rubbing at all, i still have about 1" between my Koni sports and the inside of my tire. I will be going with 285/40/19 square on the next set of tires.
Old 3/15/15, 03:33 PM
V6 Member

I am about to order some bfg g force sport comp 2 275/40/19 for my track pack wheels. Any opinions on these tires?
Old 3/15/15, 07:44 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Originally Posted by Plim
Wow, these are summer tires right? So what did you replace them with? Are you happy with the replacement?
No replacements yet but would go with Michelin if they make the size? :-)
Old 3/17/15, 05:21 AM
GT Member

Me too, after 11k miles they have a lovely HOWL. Grip is OK, really like the Michelin PS 2's on my cousin's "VETTE better, just not enthused with the price! It's going to take a lot of research to get a great tire at a reasonable price.
Old 3/17/15, 07:13 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Not on the 19s. If you looks at the recommended width range on 285s it states 9.5 to 11, and measurements for contact patch are given on 10" wide rims.

Can you fit 285s on 19x9? Sure, but it won't ride as intended.

I have 275s on 9.5" wire rims per tire manufacturer's recommendations for track days. Much better grip than 255s
The only reason I went with 285's on a 9 inch is because that is the minimum recommended width for the Conti DWS, otherwise I would have put a smaller tire on there.
Old 3/17/15, 07:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
The Corsa's are supposed to be good but those only came on the LS.

I actually like them!
Have you tracked the Pirelli's though? They get greasy once they get hot and end up not sticking as well as when they were cooler.
Old 3/17/15, 07:35 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If i recall i think my GT has 245's in the rear which is super crappy

Quick Reply: Mustang factory under tired?