Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

MT82 update...

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/13, 10:47 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MT82 update...

I realize this topic has been beaten to death, so don't beat ME up for bringing this up. I just wanted to know if anyone else was having the same experience.

Here's the history: When I purchased the GT new, I had no issue with the transmission. Shifts were smooth as butter. At 7,500 miles or so, I started experiencing the "notchy" shift from 1st to 2nd, especially in cold weather, and especially when the engine was cold. However, even when the weather warmed up, I still noticed it for the first couple of shifts. After that, it kind of smoothed out.

For some reason, at 10,000 miles or so, the notchiness became less noticeable and less frequent. Perhaps it's because I typically shifted from first at about 3,500 to 4,000 rpm. I don't know. But the situation now is that I have very little of the notchiness that I had before. It's not bad at all, other than the first shift from 1st to 2nd.

EXCEPT... when I shift to 2nd when I'm turning. If I'm making a left turn, or the road is curing to the left, that 1st to 2nd shift returns to its notchy nature. Is there a reason for that?
Old 9/5/13, 06:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

100% typical of this transmission, especially when the weather fluctuates. I recommend a new shift bracket, it will make all your shifts more consistent and less notchy. I went with Steeda
Old 9/5/13, 05:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Broadway
I realize this topic has been beaten to death, so don't beat ME up for bringing this up. I just wanted to know if anyone else was having the same experience.

Here's the history: When I purchased the GT new, I had no issue with the transmission. Shifts were smooth as butter. At 7,500 miles or so, I started experiencing the "notchy" shift from 1st to 2nd, especially in cold weather, and especially when the engine was cold. However, even when the weather warmed up, I still noticed it for the first couple of shifts. After that, it kind of smoothed out.

For some reason, at 10,000 miles or so, the notchiness became less noticeable and less frequent. Perhaps it's because I typically shifted from first at about 3,500 to 4,000 rpm. I don't know. But the situation now is that I have very little of the notchiness that I had before. It's not bad at all, other than the first shift from 1st to 2nd.

EXCEPT... when I shift to 2nd when I'm turning. If I'm making a left turn, or the road is curing to the left, that 1st to 2nd shift returns to its notchy nature. Is there a reason for that?
Yes, absolutely the same behavior mine has and it makes sense that when the weight of the car shifts to the side, the cheap stock bracket moves and makes the clunk. Just wish I had $500 for a MGW.
Old 9/5/13, 06:17 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,234 Posts
I think the part of the reason why it's getting better as it ages, is that you're becoming more familiar with where the shift gates are/going to be at that moment. (Not saying that you don't know how to drive a manual, but the mount brackets on the stock manuals are Chinese crap and are not "stationary", if you will.) If you can afford it, get yourself a MGW or a Barton shifter. You will notice a big difference. I am ordering a MGW real soon. You can also just purchase the brackets which are a lot cheaper.
**Do your own research. I have, and "most" of the people that have gotten both shifters seem to agree that MGW is the shifter to go with.
GOOD LUCK!!
Old 9/5/13, 07:39 PM
GT Member

Here's my take on this...the stock shifter definately leaves something to be desired. I never, ever had any issues driving any manual transmission vehicle in the past. Then I bought my 2013 Mustang, and it was as if I had to learn all over again, just couldn't get it right. Recently, in the past month, everything just sort of clicked, and I am having almost no issues, and if I do miss a gear, it is my fault due to technique. You just can't hammer through the gears on these transmissions in quite the same way you would on something older, like a T45, T5, T56, 3650, etc.

These transmissions are more about wrist action, shifting an MT82 is similar to tossing a frisbee, it just takes a certain action that's hard to describe.

With that said I will be upgrading to an MGW some time soon.
Old 9/5/13, 11:40 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a look at the first part of the video on the MGW website. They compare the stock shifter parts vs the MGW. When you see the stock rear support bracket with the zip ties holding the rubber insert, you'll understand where the slop is coming from. The MGW shifter was my first mod on my 2014 and money well spent.

Scott
Old 9/6/13, 04:21 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde

Yes, absolutely the same behavior mine has and it makes sense that when the weight of the car shifts to the side, the cheap stock bracket moves and makes the clunk. Just wish I had $500 for a MGW.
Originally Posted by Stage_3
I think the part of the reason why it's getting better as it ages, is that you're becoming more familiar with where the shift gates are/going to be at that moment. (Not saying that you don't know how to drive a manual, but the mount brackets on the stock manuals are Chinese crap and are not "stationary", if you will.) If you can afford it, get yourself a MGW or a Barton shifter. You will notice a big difference. I am ordering a MGW real soon. You can also just purchase the brackets which are a lot cheaper.
**Do your own research. I have, and "most" of the people that have gotten both shifters seem to agree that MGW is the shifter to go with.
GOOD LUCK!!
Guys... I highly highly recommend the MGW. It's probably the single best mod I have, and the best mod to do to your ponies. It's been on for 2 years now... Shifting is 2nd nature and a joy to do. With you both having such nice 5.0s, you owe it to yourself to get one
No slop
No fuss
No clunks
No oddities.
Just pure, well oiled, rifle bolt precision.
Old 9/6/13, 05:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Guys... I highly highly recommend the MGW. It's probably the single best mod I have, and the best mod to do to your ponies. It's been on for 2 years now... Shifting is 2nd nature and a joy to do. With you both having such nice 5.0s, you owe it to yourself to get one
No slop
No fuss
No clunks
No oddities.
Oh you're preaching to the choir. But this choir is buying a house and may end up murdered in his sleep if he tried to spend $500 on a car mod, especially when I probably need to spend that on getting the **** driver's side power seat track replaced.
Old 9/6/13, 04:01 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

No slop
No fuss
No clunks
No oddities.
Awesome. I didn't know you had a MGW shifter.
I hear nothing but great things about it. Waiting for my 0% interest free credit card for 18 months to come in and I'm ordering. My buddy owns an auto repair shop, so I'm golden there as well!
Old 9/6/13, 09:18 PM
I Have No Life

Awesome. I didn't know you had a MGW shifter.
I hear nothing but great things about it. Waiting for my 0% interest free credit card for 18 months to come in and I'm ordering. My buddy owns an auto repair shop, so I'm golden there as well!
Oh yeah stage... Did you check out my sig? It has all my mods listed there
Old 9/6/13, 09:27 PM
GT Member

What's up with the MGW and warranty work? I'm assuming they would try and deny right off the bat. That's really the only thing stopping me from ordering one this second.

The Barton 2 post did it's job, but wasn't that big of an improvement so I put it back to stock and took it to the dealer. They told me the car shifts fine. Of course as I'm driving out of the place I go for third and catch that little grind before the engagement. I'll probably go for the MGW. I guess warranty denial is all the more reason to do a tranny swap...

Last edited by jmaStang; 9/6/13 at 09:30 PM.
Old 9/7/13, 10:09 AM
GT Member

Has anyone just plain swapped out the MT82 for something else? Will anything else bolt up and work?
Old 9/7/13, 10:34 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Oh yeah stage... Did you check out my sig? It has all my mods listed there
Very cool.
Where's the best place to order from? I notice we don't have many sponsors here. I will do my own research, as I always do, but just want a little feedback as to where the lowest price(s) were.
Old 9/7/13, 11:57 AM
I Have No Life

Very cool.
Where's the best place to order from? I notice we don't have many sponsors here. I will do my own research, as I always do, but just want a little feedback as to where the lowest price(s) were.
Straight from MGW, stage! They have one of the, if not the, best customer service around. Talk to George, the owner. A very standup guy.
Old 9/7/13, 12:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jmaStang
What's up with the MGW and warranty work? I'm assuming they would try and deny right off the bat. That's really the only thing stopping me from ordering one this second.

The Barton 2 post did it's job, but wasn't that big of an improvement so I put it back to stock and took it to the dealer. They told me the car shifts fine. Of course as I'm driving out of the place I go for third and catch that little grind before the engagement. I'll probably go for the MGW. I guess warranty denial is all the more reason to do a tranny swap...
Talk to your dealer. My dealer said that changing the shifter wouldn't affect my warranty on anything except the parts replaced.
Old 9/7/13, 01:35 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Straight from MGW, stage! They have one of the, if not the, best customer service around. Talk to George, the owner. A very standup guy.
Thank you sir.
That was pretty much the route I was originally planning on. Straight from the source.
Old 9/7/13, 09:06 PM
I Have No Life

Thank you sir.
That was pretty much the route I was originally planning on. Straight from the source.
You won't regret it.
Old 9/8/13, 11:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Earlsays
Has anyone just plain swapped out the MT82 for something else? Will anything else bolt up and work?
There's one that will - can't remember what it is. However, the MT82 isn't bad overall; it just has a weak stock shifter which is fixed with a $500 MGW shifter install. Way cheaper than a multiple-thousands of dollars new transmission.
Old 9/8/13, 11:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V

Talk to your dealer. My dealer said that changing the shifter wouldn't affect my warranty on anything except the parts replaced.
And that's exactly right. Unless your aftermarket part can be proven to cause the problem, your warranty still applies.
Old 9/9/13, 08:05 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I realize this topic has been beaten to death, so don't beat ME up for bringing this up. I just wanted to know if anyone else was having the same experience....
Bring it in to your dealer and have it looked at, Michael Broadway. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate it as well.

Originally Posted by jmaStang
What's up with the MGW and warranty work? I'm assuming they would try and deny right off the bat. That's really the only thing stopping me from ordering one this second...
Aftermarket parts will not void “all” of your warranties, jmaStang. However, if they cause a concern, that specific repair will not be covered. You can refer to your Warranty Guide on page 13 for further info. This is why I recommend speaking with your servicing dealer (service manager) before installing any aftermarket parts to your vehicle, because some of them are very strict.

Ford Racing Parts come with their own warranty and if your dealer is a FRPP dealer, they will only honor those aftermarket mods. You can locate one of our FRPP authorized dealers here.

Deysha

Quick Reply: MT82 update...