Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Moving back to Mustang Land - Black 2012 GT

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/12, 03:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving back to Mustang Land - Black 2012 GT

"What a long, strange trip it's been." - some fat hippie.

I owned a Mustang GT from 2005-2008, when I got a Pontiac G8 GT. It was a nice car, but for some unknown reason, I became obsessed with the new 2012 SRT8 Charger, which I took delivery of in September. Anyway, this car has too much unnecessary BS on it, which in turn makes it too **** expensive for me. I can absolutely swing it, but I feel ridiculous driving around a 4300 pound sedan with heated and cooled cup holders, some silly NAV feature that I never use, etc etc etc. With how much I'm paying for this thing, I'm driving around my kid's college fund with heated and vented seats lol. I'm sure I look like the biggest douche on earth...

Anyway, I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a 2012 GT Premium in black that will make my payments much more manageable and have me back on track with my auto finance situation in a few months. I hope the Mustang gods will forgive me for straying for the past 4 years!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting back to the forum and modding a Mustang. Is Bama tunes still going strong? What mods do you guys recommend for the 5.0? I was thinking:

• Intake/Tune
  • Mufflers - what can I get without drone?
  • Springs - something with a small drop
  • X pipe
  • Hurst Short Throw
  • maybe a Strut Tower Brace
Old 3/13/12, 04:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by DW Rutledge
I owned a Mustang GT from 2005-2008, when I got a Pontiac G8 GT. It was a nice car, but for some unknown reason, I became obsessed with the new 2012 SRT8 Charger, which I took delivery of in September. Anyway, this car has too much unnecessary BS on it, which in turn makes it too **** expensive for me. I can absolutely swing it, but I feel ridiculous driving around a 4300 pound sedan with heated and cooled cup holders, some silly NAV feature that I never use, etc etc etc. With how much I'm paying for this thing, I'm driving around my kid's college fund with heated and vented seats lol. I'm sure I look like the biggest douche on earth...

Are you going to go upside down on that Charger? Unless you got a stellar deal I would guess you owe more than its worth?
Old 3/13/12, 04:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah I'll get murdered on the Charger, but I'm saving so much on the payment that I'll have made it back in a few months. It was a dumb decision to get the Charger and I gotta bite the bullet and get out of it, rather than pay for it for years to come.

Anyway, on a positive note, Mustang will be in the garage tonight, I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 3/13/12, 05:14 PM
V6 Member

Congrats on the new ride. Sorry ur getting raped on the trade in though. Roush axelbacks are my vote. Loud when u want them to be. But it depends on what ur looking for in sound. And I'm loving my steeda cai and tunes from Gus and steeda. Good luck and enjoy the new stang. Pics when u get a chance.
Old 3/13/12, 05:28 PM
GT Member

Hey - welcome back DWrutledge. I'm coming from a Pontiac G8 as well (see sig.) Loved the car but hated that it was an auto, I'll never do that agian. You'll have your new Stang before I do - congrats!
Old 3/13/12, 05:30 PM
GT Member

and...you ARE kidding about those heated/cooled cupholders, right?
Old 3/13/12, 06:00 PM
V6 Member

Love the grateful dead reference too by the way.
Old 3/13/12, 09:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by holtywsp
Congrats on the new ride. Sorry ur getting raped on the trade in though. Roush axelbacks are my vote. Loud when u want them to be. But it depends on what ur looking for in sound. And I'm loving my steeda cai and tunes from Gus and steeda. Good luck and enjoy the new stang. Pics when u get a chance.
I've done a little looking around and I'm either going Roush or SVT. Dallas Mustang is about 15 min away from my house and they have the SVTs in stock at a good price.

Originally Posted by G8toGT
Hey - welcome back DWrutledge. I'm coming from a Pontiac G8 as well (see sig.) Loved the car but hated that it was an auto, I'll never do that agian. You'll have your new Stang before I do - congrats!
The G8 is a nice car, the Charger was even nicer, but they aren't muscle cars. The auto is a big part of the reason why! As much as a pain as it is in traffic, if you enjoy driving there is no comparison.

Originally Posted by G8toGT
and...you ARE kidding about those heated/cooled cupholders, right?
Ha! I wish I was but I'm dead serious. Heated AND cooled cupholders. Heated AND cooled seats. It sounds nice but if you're like me you feel kinda tool-ish getting in the car and hitting the button for a cooled drink. The SRT8 is not a proper muscle car. It's a cruiser with too much horsepower and too many luxuries.
Old 3/13/12, 09:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Without further ado, here is Francine:

Picked her up tonight and immediately hopped in for a cruise. A quick cruise around the block turned into a 2 1/2 hour drive. Me and the old lady drove down to the lake and had a milkshake, it was great.

She sounds great, and you just can't replace the feeling and the sound of dropping down a gear, hearing that roar and feeling your head jerk back as you slam on the gas. The next guy that tries to sell me on the idea of a four door auto as a muscle car is going to get a roundhouse kick to the face....

Driving around, I realized that I'm just a Mustang guy at heart. I always wanted one before I had one, and when I had my sedans they had all these great features that I never used and just detracted from the feeling of being behind the wheel of a driver's car. It's great to be back.

Last edited by DW Rutledge; 3/13/12 at 09:41 PM.
Old 3/14/12, 05:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

That's awesome man, not just get a picture posted that the link doesn't break on.
Old 3/14/12, 12:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kn7671
That's awesome man, not just get a picture posted that the link doesn't break on.
meh...here she is.
Attached Thumbnails Moving back to Mustang Land - Black 2012 GT-img_0677.jpg  

Last edited by DW Rutledge; 3/14/12 at 12:59 PM.
Old 3/14/12, 02:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Nice car. It looks like mine.
Old 3/15/12, 07:54 AM
Bullitt Member

So as I mentioned, I live close to Dallas Mustang, so I drove over there on my lunch hour yesterday to see if I could pick up a few parts for Francine. I was after the Hurst, specifically. They didn't have it, so when I got back to my desk I went to American Muscle and ordered:

• The Hurst
  • The Eleanor-style louvers (pre-painted)
  • Retro Billet Grille
I got next-day shipping so the package is out for delivery now! I'm also going to head over to NTB at lunch and get 275/40/19s slapped on the back. I've had the car for two days and I'm already doing the mod dance:

Old 3/15/12, 09:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Hell yeah! My stuff just got to the office.

One of my co-workers was kind enough to capture this footage of my reaction to the delivery:

Attached Thumbnails Moving back to Mustang Land - Black 2012 GT-img_0692-1-.jpg  

Last edited by DW Rutledge; 3/15/12 at 09:55 AM.
Old 3/15/12, 10:54 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

This is a great thread! Congrats on the mustang. Have fun with it. I can tell you already are
Old 3/15/12, 01:04 PM
Bullitt Member

So I hit the local NTB @ lunch today to get teh new rubber out back. I'm not going to track the car or anything so I opted to match the Pirellis in front with the aforementioned 275/40/19s out back.

Here's a pic of the stockers:

Instead of hanging out here:

I decided to hit the Chipotle across the street and crush a chicken burrito:

When I got back, Francine was on the lift:

That bro in the back is my new friend Chewie, filling up my tires.

Anyways, half an hour and ~$650 later here she sits:

I'm very happy with them, I don't think I'm going to lower it as I'm adding a CDC Classic and I don't want any clearance issues.
Old 3/15/12, 01:07 PM
Bullitt Member

So on my way back I stop to fill up, and this dudebro says, "Hey man, that is a SWEET ride!"

At first, I felt just like a BAWSSS:

But then he goes, "Is it a Camaro?" and I was all like:

Last edited by DW Rutledge; 3/15/12 at 02:57 PM.
Old 3/15/12, 02:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DW Rutledge
Hell yeah! My stuff just got to the office.

One of my co-workers was kind enough to capture this footage of my reaction to the delivery:

Okay, I totally LMFAO seeing this F'in thing. Thanks for the laugh and good luck with the car.
Old 3/15/12, 02:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
Okay, I totally LMFAO seeing this F'in thing. Thanks for the laugh and good luck with the car.
It's the funniest dance I've ever seen in my life. I have about twenty "favorite" parts of it...
Old 3/15/12, 02:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Sweet ride!!

Quick Reply: Moving back to Mustang Land - Black 2012 GT