2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

More confirmed 10' Mustang info!

Search this Thread

Old 4/9/08, 05:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've owned a variety of Ford performance vehicles over the years (yes, I'm old!) , both boosted and naturally aspirated and loved them all -- But I prefer the V8 cars for sound, power and feel. Although the SC had monster Torgue (340 lbs) and would out
pull a 5 liter mustang in 3rd gear, but it sounded like a tractor.

-- '84 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (5spd)
-- '86 Mustang SVO
-- '89 Mustang GT (5spd)
-- '91 Thunderbird SC (5spd)
-- '95 SVT Cobra
-- '99 SVT Cobra
-- '05 Mustang GT (5spd)
Old 4/9/08, 06:07 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of these new FWD Asian coupes are running low 14's. Hyundai is coming out with a 310hp RWD V6 Coupe for 2010, and its going to cost around $25k!
These are inexpensive cars with good performance. They are an inch away from our 300hp Mustang GT.

The American company's need to raise the bar with their new GDI V6's & V8's. Especially the V8's.
My source told me to wait for the 2011MY Mustang with the GDI V8, and as of right now, that is what I am going to do.

05SatinGT, that is a great list of cars!

Last edited by GTJOHN; 4/9/08 at 06:09 AM.
Old 4/9/08, 08:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Those old detuned V8's of the 1970's and early 80's are just a victim of the times when the industry wrote off performance. Fortunately, anyone can turn these vehicles into a hotrod if they want to by making the appropriate mods. However, nothing can compensate for the shortcomings of ride and handling that come with modern engineering.

As far as smaller displacement engines go, I am all for getting the most horsepower and torque out of the smallest engine possible. This is what I call efficient engineering. The things that can be done with four and six cylinder engines should not be ignored. Other specialty and sports cars for years have respected credibility for making powerful smaller displacement engines. Why shouldn't Ford?

Certainly Ford should keep the V8 as a choice for those who prefer it. I have never been a power ***** so I am quite happy with my V6 that will outperform Mustang V8's of the past. I am more of a laid back cruiser than a street racer. The Mustang V6 has adaquate power to get out of it's own way and not be a slug at the stop light. Buying the V6 Mustang does not make me feel I have made a sacrifice. I wanted my car to have affordable payments and insurance while focusing on style, comfort and good performance. Sure no holds barred I would prefer a V8 but I have many other priorities in life to consider.

Last edited by watchdevil; 4/9/08 at 08:36 AM.
Old 4/9/08, 09:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GTJOHN
A lot of these new FWD Asian coupes are running low 14's. Hyundai is coming out with a 310hp RWD V6 Coupe for 2010, and its going to cost around $25k!
These are inexpensive cars with good performance. They are an inch away from our 300hp Mustang GT.

The American company's need to raise the bar with their new GDI V6's & V8's. Especially the V8's.
My source told me to wait for the 2011MY Mustang with the GDI V8, and as of right now, that is what I am going to do.

05SatinGT, that is a great list of cars!
The trouble with a Hyundai--any Hyundai--is that if you can see yourself in a Hyundai, others probably already see you in a Hyundai...Get help.
Old 4/9/08, 09:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Twin Turbo 3.5L V6, 350hp, Shelby GT-350. It works.
Old 4/9/08, 09:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
Not sure if anyone already posted this but Ford has confirmed that A Mustang with an EcoBoost V-6 engine has been approved, although it might not be the first Ford (after the Lincoln MKS) in line. The direct-injection, turbocharged 3.5-liter V-6 in the Mustang will make more than the 4.6-liter V-8's 300 horsepower and probably get 2-mpg better EPA results. Expect the EcoBoost to follow the facelift on the '10 Mustang.
97GT03SVT: A source, please!
Old 4/9/08, 10:09 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Eights
The trouble with a Hyundai--any Hyundai--is that if you can see yourself in a Hyundai, others probably already see you in a Hyundai...Get help.
The point I was trying to make is that the cheaper Asian cars are closing the performance gap with our American V8's. Plus, they are also FWD!
I've never owned a foreign car, and I don't plan to. But, there are a lot of people who aren't loyal to the American brands. Ford, GM & Chrysler need to step it up.

Old 4/9/08, 01:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Eights
97GT03SVT: A source, please!

He posted a little excerpt from a motor trend article saying how it was approved for use. Whether or not it will be is another story. I'm still hoping the answer is no. It was on the front page of Motortrend.com as Fords way foward or something.
Old 4/9/08, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Are you kidding? That "weak" V8 - a Ward's 10 Best engine three years running, by the way - makes more torque than any of those rev-happy 6s you're talking about.

And if you wanna add boost, well hey, throw a supercharger on the 4.6L and then see how fast you leave those import 6s in the dust!
"Ward's 10 Best" Why don't you check out all the 6 cylinder engines on that list that make MORE power get better mpg and have slightly less torque. Those engines are also NA. Sure you can put a supercharger on the 4.6 and it might run good for a while but it was not designed to handle boost, the engine internals are weak (not forged) and a stock 4.6 with a supercharger would still get raped by a single turbo supra or a built GN.
The point I was trying to make is that the current engine leaves a lot to be desired. A built TT 6 (with forged internals) is a much better platform for performance than the current (not forged internals) 4.6L V8. Now if they would give us forged internals like the 03/04 cobra and forced induction on the 4.6L I would say hell yeah, but the reality is thats not likely to happen. My 03 Cobra makes 448 rwhp with just a pulley/tune, CAI, and catback at a cost of less than $ 1,000 dollars. Now to make a current car have the same power cost $5,000 to $6,000 dollars and you still don't have the forged internals that the Cobra has. If you have a properly built forced induction engine 6 cylinder or 8 adding power is easy..... just turn up the boost.
Old 4/9/08, 03:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zektor
I don't buy into 'climate change', it's all a conspiracy. No one can tell me in the billions of years that this planet has been about, that the human race has in the past 100 to 200 years or so managed to destroy our environment due to industrial revolution. Our planet is naturally evolving and has been doing so for billions of years. So I don't buy into this 'green' thing at all.
Dazza
I'm with you on the "We've warmed the earth with SUV's and V8's" but what it really comes down to for me is the fact that when I had my Pontiac 400, my 1985 GT 5.0, my 1993 "notch" 5.0...etc gas prices were $1 per gallon. Today it's more about $4 gas by Summer and just plain ole "gotcha by the *****" Oil companies and the unrest it creates with middle east oil rich cartels...I mean countries. There has to be a change in MPG's...I know somewhere on a drawing board there's a 400HP 5.0 V8 that gets 35+mpg but it will never see the light of day because of bureaucratic BS. And now the same Aholes are touting Ethenol which burns up more energy than it creates. And don't get me started on the "dust bowl" it will cause and the fact that produce prices will skyrocket due to the fact that farmers are getting huge incentives to grow corn and they are forgetting about everything else. In the end, every industry has to start with a clean slate for all of us to benefit. I'm sick and tired of it falling on the automakers when other far more polluting and toxic large conglomerates get a free ticket to ride.

Last edited by Topnotch; 4/9/08 at 03:46 PM.
Old 4/9/08, 10:15 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Grey03
Sure you can put a supercharger on the 4.6 and it might run good for a while but it was not designed to handle boost, the engine internals are weak (not forged) and a stock 4.6 with a supercharger would still get raped by a single turbo supra...
You don't know what you're talking about.
Old 4/9/08, 10:18 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Topnotch
I'm sick and tired of it falling on the automakers when other far more polluting and toxic large conglomerates get a free ticket to ride.
And you know why that is, don't you? Because those conglomerates employee lobbyists who have bought and paid for your government and now dictate policy.

Meanwhile, the rest of us - meaning Joe "Little Guy" - driving our cars, get screwed. Sh*t flows downhill.
Old 4/10/08, 02:20 PM

You don't know what you're talking about.
Your the person who doesn't know what they are talking about. I can show you a number of stock block supra's that will make 600 rwhp or more. I bet you can't show me a single stock block 3v that makes over 600 rwhp. Why don't you do a little research before you open your mouth.
Old 4/10/08, 03:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Your the person who doesn't know what they are talking about. I can show you a number of stock block supra's that will make 600 rwhp or more. I bet you can't show me a single stock block 3v that makes over 600 rwhp. Why don't you do a little research before you open your mouth.
I can show you a stock block Terminator that makes over 900rwhp.
Old 4/10/08, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight
I can show you a stock block Terminator that makes over 900rwhp.

Yeah I know that... I own one.. But this guy seems to think that the stock block 3v can make the same power and still live as a forced induction engine with forged internals and he is wrong plain and simple.
Old 4/10/08, 06:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Are you kidding? That "weak" V8 - a Ward's 10 Best engine three years running, by the way - makes more torque than any of those rev-happy 6s you're talking about.

And if you wanna add boost, well hey, throw a supercharger on the 4.6L and then see how fast you leave those import 6s in the dust!
Let's really dream big. Twin turbos AND a supercharger ! I wonder what broken parts we could run over then ?
Old 4/10/08, 07:49 PM
GT Member

Any chance of Ford offering a DSG transmission in the new Mustang? Those things can shift incredibly fast and seamless, and improve the mileage.
Old 4/10/08, 09:06 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by robair
Any chance of Ford offering a DSG transmission in the new Mustang? Those things can shift incredibly fast and seamless, and improve the mileage.
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/04/v...their-own-dsg/
Ford's working on DSG. It will start appearing in Volvo and FoE units first, but could/should make its way into the Mustang for the 201X generation.
Old 4/10/08, 09:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
The reason during those slow times, was Ford didn't posses it's Electronic Fuel Injection technology, until 1987.

Although Ford began using speed density FI in 1984-86. Compression ratio's didn't really start to improve, until Ford converted over to EFI in 1987.

As I mentioned before, Ford just didn't have the technology during those slow times, to effectively overcome the federal regulation emission restrictions, during that period !
The '86 GT engine had SEFI. The only difference between '86 and '87 were the heads. They put the truck heads on in '87 and it was good for an extra 25hp. The '85 had a 4 barrel Holley 600. There were some TBI injected cars, but most of the '86GTs had SEFI.
Old 4/10/08, 11:02 PM
Bullitt Member

I dont know too much about supercharges or turbos......I'd prefer NA myself, but this is pretty impressive, stock motor and exhaust

http://www.procharger.com/2005_mustang_stock.shtml

just thought I'd share that, not that im denying the potential of turbo'd supras or the forged internals of the 04' cobra motors, but there is a lot that can be done with the stock s197 motor.

Last edited by cheech6g; 4/10/08 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply: More confirmed 10' Mustang info!