2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

mobile one

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/11 | 08:45 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Sam or Liquid: If you were going to run Amsoil or Red Line in a new Boss 302 how often would you change the oil with the car driven 6,000 a year with a couple of track days thrown in? And would you change the oil upon delivery or should the stock oil be left in for a break-in period?
Old 1/21/11 | 10:16 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Sam or Liquid: If you were going to run Amsoil or Red Line in a new Boss 302 how often would you change the oil with the car driven 6,000 a year with a couple of track days thrown in? And would you change the oil upon delivery or should the stock oil be left in for a break-in period?
Unfortunately, Amsoil does not sell a 5W-50 (but a 10W-50 racing oil) to use in your Boss. Red Line does.

I really think you will be fine with 6k/year with some track use. I feel the engineers had extended track use in mind when they spec'd a 5W-50 instead of the 5W-20 used in normal Coyotes. I always encourage UOA's, though. I would definitely consider it, especially with track use to dial in a suitable OCI for how you use the car. So in all, my initial feeling is that you will be ok, but I personally would be conservative with your initial OCI.

I prefer to drop the factory oil at 1k miles. This may or may not be necessary anymore, but it certainly does offer me peace of mind.

Last edited by Liquid; 1/21/11 at 10:19 AM.
Old 1/21/11 | 10:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bert
So is that the concensous (sp?) of those in the know?

Sam, where can you get Redline; and are Amsoil and Royal Purple close?
I carry Redline... There is some shipping, but then again--no sales tax. Amsoil has local dealers here and there, but it's setup oddly--like they don't actually have to be a business. Royal Purple.... I'm not convinced of that one, I'm not even sure it's API certified, etc.
Old 1/21/11 | 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Liquid
Unfortunately, Amsoil does not sell a 5W-50 (but a 10W-50 racing oil) to use in your Boss. Red Line does.

I really think you will be fine with 6k/year with some track use. I feel the engineers had extended track use in mind when they spec'd a 5W-50 instead of the 5W-20 used in normal Coyotes. I always encourage UOA's, though. I would definitely consider it, especially with track use to dial in a suitable OCI for how you use the car. So in all, my initial feeling is that you will be ok, but I personally would be conservative with your initial OCI.

I prefer to drop the factory oil at 1k miles. This may or may not be necessary anymore, but it certainly does offer me peace of mind.
What's UOA and OCI? Oil change interval maybe but I'm not getting UOA.
Old 1/21/11 | 10:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Uoa-used oil analisis
Old 1/21/11 | 11:04 AM
GT Member

Yes, used oil analysis.
Old 1/21/11 | 11:07 AM

Yes, used oil analysis.
Thanks. I usually drop the oil after the first 1,000 miles as well thinking if there are any extra new engine particles in the oil I want them out.
Old 1/22/11 | 04:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

hmmmmm . . . so we've gone from Modil 1 is overkill to Mobil 1 isn't really all that good . . . I'm thinking I will make the switch to Amsoil or Redline, nothing is too good for my Stang.

Would there be any harm in mixing Mobil 1 and Amsoil or Redline? I need to use up these gallon jugs of Mobil 1 I have in my basement, so I was thinking 50/50 Mobil 1 / Redline or Amsoil.
Old 1/22/11 | 07:45 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

John, I'm no expert but i sure would not mix two brands of oil together unless i had to in a freak emergency.
Old 1/22/11 | 08:15 AM
Bullitt Member

mixing

Originally Posted by David Young
John, I'm no expert but i sure would not mix two brands of oil together unless i had to in a freak emergency.
John, I have to agree with David. Not sure the different addatives would work well together.
Old 1/22/11 | 06:12 PM
GT Member

Amsoil is fully compatible with all motor oils on the market. It is completely fine to mix Amsoil.

Think of it like this though, by mixing, you'll only be diluting 2 oils. You won't see much of a benefit as compared to running 100% of one oil.

Last edited by Liquid; 1/22/11 at 06:15 PM.
Old 1/23/11 | 07:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Amsoil is fully compatible with all motor oils on the market. It is completely fine to mix Amsoil.

Think of it like this though, by mixing, you'll only be diluting 2 oils. You won't see much of a benefit as compared to running 100% of one oil.
Yeah, makes sense . . . maybe I'll just use the Mobil 1 for the Camry . . .

Here is a page from Amsoil's web site; of course it shows Amsoil to be the best in all categories, and they did not include Redline or Royal Purple. But the interesting thing to me is that the Mobil 1 is very close in all tests, so apparently it is not a huge difference.

https://www.amsoil.com/performancete...veOilTest.aspx

And yet another question about the Amsoil:

I see the "100% Synthetic" is not available in 5W-20, which is the recommended grade for my 2010 GT. (2011 GT also?)

So which one is the best one to use -- 0W-20, 5W-30 in the "100% Synthetic", or 5W-20 in the "synthetic" which apparently is not "100% synthetic"

Redline does have a 5W-20.

Last edited by Bert; 1/23/11 at 07:36 AM. Reason: more
Old 1/23/11 | 12:48 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
I have to make a slight correction to my last reply. The Boss comes with the same IOLM, correct? If so, I would suggest picking a quality synthetic and changing it based on what the IOLM tells you. Here's why:

How the IOLM works
The IOLM does not use oil quality sensors – it is entirely software-based and uses actual engine operating conditions to calculate the oil change interval by using an algorithm. This means the system must be reset after an oil change. Not doing so will result in a premature OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message.
See http://www.flmowner.com/servlet/Cont...=1239636411265

With this in mind, your car will record your engine's operating parameters, be it on the track, or driving to work, and suggest an oil change interval based on your driving style. As long as you stick to what the IOLM says, you'll be fine. Of course, UOA's are still a useful tool.
Old 1/23/11 | 01:21 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bert
Yeah, makes sense . . . maybe I'll just use the Mobil 1 for the Camry . . .

Here is a page from Amsoil's web site; of course it shows Amsoil to be the best in all categories, and they did not include Redline or Royal Purple. But the interesting thing to me is that the Mobil 1 is very close in all tests, so apparently it is not a huge difference.

https://www.amsoil.com/performancete...veOilTest.aspx

And yet another question about the Amsoil:

I see the "100% Synthetic" is not available in 5W-20, which is the recommended grade for my 2010 GT. (2011 GT also?)

So which one is the best one to use -- 0W-20, 5W-30 in the "100% Synthetic", or 5W-20 in the "synthetic" which apparently is not "100% synthetic"

Redline does have a 5W-20.
The 100% synthetic 0W-20 (ASM) and synthetic 5W-20 (XLM) will work in your car. I recommend sticking with the factory recommended viscosity, so I'd rule out the 5W-30.

Besides the obvious formulation differences between the oils (and therefore, recommended drain intervals), there is one major difference between the XLM and ASM oils. The XLM is API certified whereas the ASM is not. If you prefer to not be hassled by your dealer in regards to the vehicle's warranty, and you want to follow factory recommended maintenance, I suggest using the XLM.

Now, because the ASM oil is not API certified, does not mean its not a good oil nor will it void your vehicle's warranty (read https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2488.pdf.). In order to be API certified, Amsoil needs to pay lots of money for licensing fees, therefore, driving up product costs. Amsoil verifies that their oil meets or exceeds API requirements (after all, API certification only means you pass the minimum requirements).

In conclusion, if you wish to follow factory service intervals , I would stick with the XLM oil. It will last the 7,500 miles/6 month oil change intervals specified for the 2010 Mustang (according to the service guide).

You are more than able to use the 100% synthetic 0W-20 (ASM) if you wish. Its marketed to people who want to change their oil every 25,000 miles or 1 year (with EaO filtration). However, if you plan on sticking to what the owner's manual says, the XLM will be more than adequate.

Last edited by Liquid; 1/23/11 at 01:33 PM.
Old 1/24/11 | 04:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Castrol or Royal Purple for me

---------------- Now playing: Iron Maiden - Weekend Warrior via FoxyTunes
Old 1/24/11 | 07:48 PM
Cobra Member

For questions about oil...here is a link. This guy has an extensive web site on oil and filters, as well as other fluids.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

I also found this on Yahoo Answers, this is an extract from a long answer, but seems to support Mobil 1 being a true synthetic. The poster also listed the above link for Bob the Oil Guy.

"Here is a list of the only Oils that are true full synthetic (groups 4 or 5).
Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal purple, Redline, some Schaffers, some Motul, Valvoline synpower is a blend of goup 3 and 4, Castrol makes (1) full synthetic it is 0w-30 only and has to say made in Germany on the bottle otherwise it is group 3,the bargain oil out there is Valvoline maxlife synthetic blend which is group 4 and a group 2 blend it performs really well at a reasonable price."

Here is the link to the full answer, containing the extract listed above.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3173207AA710Ro

Draw your own conclusions.