Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

MGW Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 8/5/13, 11:36 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MGW Adjustment

I finally got my MGW shifter in and it shifts great in 3-4 and 5-6 but getting into 1st is sometimes impossible without first putting it in one of the higher gears. This was not a problem with the factory shifter. I guess it needs an adjustment of the detent screw. Any suggestions on which way to go - It feels like there is a slight notch to the left when going from 2nd to first so i'd imagine adjusting the screw further to the left (in) would help. Also, I guess it means taking that @#$% boot off again to get at the adjustment. My bad for not trying it before putting the boot on. I'm inclined to let it break in a little before making the adjustment.

Thanks for any tips.

Scott
Old 8/6/13, 12:46 AM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I would talk to MGW first, I have heard of the boot getting in the way of shifts if not seated right, might be worth looking at as well.
Old 8/6/13, 05:24 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Fawls
I would talk to MGW first, I have heard of the boot getting in the way of shifts if not seated right, might be worth looking at as well.
Yes I agree with this. But yes, the spring and everything else just needs some time to get loose. Mine is 2 years old now, but it started to feel "perfect" 500 miles after install. Now it's like a well oiled rifle bolt.
Old 8/6/13, 10:32 AM
MGW
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottV
I finally got my MGW shifter in and it shifts great in 3-4 and 5-6 but getting into 1st is sometimes impossible without first putting it in one of the higher gears. This was not a problem with the factory shifter. I guess it needs an adjustment of the detent screw. Any suggestions on which way to go - It feels like there is a slight notch to the left when going from 2nd to first so i'd imagine adjusting the screw further to the left (in) would help. Also, I guess it means taking that @#$% boot off again to get at the adjustment. My bad for not trying it before putting the boot on. I'm inclined to let it break in a little before making the adjustment.

Thanks for any tips.

Scott

this will not get better as it needs to be set EVERY time an install is done. these cars vary so much from the factory that i rarely get lucky when doing installs. i seem to have to adjust it 90 percent of the time.

even if it does not hang up guys , you may not realize that you are not getting a PERFECT alignment and thus not a perfect feel. get it adjusted right and its awesome.

you will NOT have to remove the boot. just snip the ziptie and push it down out of the way . the base does not need removing.

george
Old 8/6/13, 07:35 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by MGW

this will not get better as it needs to be set EVERY time an install is done. these cars vary so much from the factory that i rarely get lucky when doing installs. i seem to have to adjust it 90 percent of the time.

even if it does not hang up guys , you may not realize that you are not getting a PERFECT alignment and thus not a perfect feel. get it adjusted right and its awesome.

you will NOT have to remove the boot. just snip the ziptie and push it down out of the way . the base does not need removing.

george
George... Nice to see you actually on. You probably don't remember who I specifically am, but lets just say you helped me out a great deal 2 years ago. You answered my installation questions, and even offered up your personal cell to answer questions that I may have had during time of install. Thankfully, I didn't have to bother you in the middle of your dinner.... But regardless, it's customer service like yours that differentiates you from the competition. Not only is your product (and design) superb, but the care and attention you provide your customers is 2nd to none.

Thank you again for such a great product. Your shifter is the best mod on my car (borlas are tied). It's been a great two years... And whoever I give rides to, I tell them to shift it. Every single person says "wow....". I compare it to a well oiled rifle bolt action.

MGW ftw!!!!
Old 8/6/13, 08:17 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MGW

george
Thanks George,
Any suggestion on which way to go - in or out or should I just give you a call to get into more detail. I didn't think it was the boot because although it took me a long time to get it right - I know it is lined up correctly - it just takes patience. I'm glad i don't have to take it off again though. 3-6 already has that rifle bolt feel. It just feels like there is a V notch between 1 and 2 and when you pull it over to the left to fight the spring tension you get caught in that V. Usually if I put it in another gear and go back - it goes right in. I figured all it needed is an adjustment - I just needed some tips so i don't make it worse instead of better.

Scott
Old 8/6/13, 08:38 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
George... Nice to see you actually on. You probably don't remember who I specifically am, but lets just say you helped me out a great deal 2 years ago. You answered my installation questions, and even offered up your personal cell to answer questions that I may have had during time of install. Thankfully, I didn't have to bother you in the middle of your dinner.... But regardless, it's customer service like yours that differentiates you from the competition. Not only is your product (and design) superb, but the care and attention you provide your customers is 2nd to none.

Thank you again for such a great product. Your shifter is the best mod on my car (borlas are tied). It's been a great two years... And whoever I give rides to, I tell them to shift it. Every single person says "wow....". I compare it to a well oiled rifle bolt action.

MGW ftw!!!!
Since you mentioned Borla - did you notice a performance increase going cat back? I'm trying to decide cat back vs axle back. I waited to get the MGW in so I could get a good look at the underside of the car to see what is involved in doing the cat back. I'm leaning toward the Borla Touring setup - I wish Borla had a comparison with the stock system vs the Touring and S - I'm looking for that low rumble without the raspiness when you get on it and other that the small tips on the stock system, it doesn't sound half bad but i'm sure there is a lot of resistance built in too.

Scott
Old 8/7/13, 08:37 AM
V6 Member

I have a MGW shifter in my Mustang since Spring of 2012 - fabulous piece of hardware. Most days I wish my entire Mustang had been built by George and his crew down at MGW!
Old 8/7/13, 08:55 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Just call MGW. They are a small company and are usually willing to talk about any problems. Their customer service is top notch.
Old 8/7/13, 11:08 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Storm75
I have a MGW shifter in my Mustang since Spring of 2012 - fabulous piece of hardware. Most days I wish my entire Mustang had been built by George and his crew down at MGW!
Such a good point...
Old 8/7/13, 02:46 PM
V6 Member

Definitely contact MGW and explain your problem, they will explain how to adjust the rotational "Gate" so you can get it dead nuts on, so the 1/2 - 3/4 - 5/6 Gates are right on the money! It's the only shifter on the market that one can adjust the Rotational Gate, including the stock Ford Shifter! If you need help just send me a PM. Good Luck, once you get the Shifter adjusted you'll be amazed how great it shifts!
Old 8/10/13, 10:34 PM
V6 Member

I called George and i think I have it straightened out. I had to make a pretty large adjustment to the left until the reverse lockout wouldn't work and then I backed it off until I got reverse back plus 1/2 a turn. It seems to be smooth in the garage but i haven't given it a proper road test yet. I don't feel the bump between 1st and second anymore so hopefully that fixed it.

Scott