Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Maybe you guys can help me, i cant seem to locate the problem.

Old 9/8/10, 10:20 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe you guys can help me, i cant seem to locate the problem.

When i'm driving my 2010 gt, i hear squeaking sound like ,chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, under part throttle acceleration. If i hit hard i cant hear it, and if i'm light throttle i cant hear it. It sounds like its coming from the drivers side rearend, and is most noticeable when going through 1st and 2nd gear making left turns with partial acceleration. I've been under the car multiple times had the tires off etc, but i see nothing that could cause this. I have already made the adjustment for the boom tube hanger issue which was well documented so its not that..All i can say is that its annoying , and i was hoping there was someone out there that had the same issue and fixed it. Another important point about the noise it doesn't start happening till after the car is warmed up!

Any ideas ????
Old 9/8/10, 11:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kona stang10
When i'm driving my 2010 gt, i hear squeaking sound like ,chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, under part throttle acceleration. If i hit hard i cant hear it, and if i'm light throttle i cant hear it. It sounds like its coming from the drivers side rearend, and is most noticeable when going through 1st and 2nd gear making left turns with partial acceleration. I've been under the car multiple times had the tires off etc, but i see nothing that could cause this. I have already made the adjustment for the boom tube hanger issue which was well documented so its not that..All i can say is that its annoying , and i was hoping there was someone out there that had the same issue and fixed it. Another important point about the noise it doesn't start happening till after the car is warmed up!

Any ideas ????
Could be a wheel bearing......
Old 9/8/10, 01:28 PM
Cobra R Member

did it start happening right after one of your mods?

when did it start?

because of all your mods.is taking to dealership for warranty out of the question?
Old 9/8/10, 01:33 PM

I couldn't see how the belt or idler is worn....maybe it needs an adjustment, or something is bent or defective...
Old 9/8/10, 02:14 PM
Banned

Does the chirp vary in speed? Does it do it when the car's at speed but coasting in neutral?
Old 9/8/10, 03:38 PM
GT Member

It does not squeak coasting out of gear, only under partial power thru 1st and second gear. The faster i go thru 1st and second the more it speeds up, then when i hit 3rd its gone. I don't know exactly when it started because my exhaust and stereo were always on and loud. I didn't notice till 1 day i decided to drive with no music...I don't think the dealer can fix this 1 because of all the mods i have on the car...
Old 9/8/10, 03:59 PM
Banned

It does not squeak coasting out of gear, only under partial power thru 1st and second gear. The faster i go thru 1st and second the more it speeds up, then when i hit 3rd its gone. I don't know exactly when it started because my exhaust and stereo were always on and loud. I didn't notice till 1 day i decided to drive with no music...I don't think the dealer can fix this 1 because of all the mods i have on the car...
If I was a betting man I would put money on your aluminum driveshaft/ujoints/driveshaft carrier if you've got a split driveshaft.
Old 9/8/10, 04:17 PM
GT Member

I just set an appointment with my dealer, also when i pull on my rear tire back and forth in an effort to measure play in the axle i can hear knocking in the axle. When i do the same thing to my truck it does'n't budge and no sound..so i will see what the dealer says..

Last edited by kona stang10; 9/8/10 at 04:22 PM.
Old 9/8/10, 04:24 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
If I was a betting man I would put money on your aluminum driveshaft/ujoints/driveshaft carrier if you've got a split driveshaft.
its not a split driveshaft, its a 1 piece, and i checked the driveshaft no problem there..
Old 9/8/10, 04:25 PM
Banned

If you weren't already taking it in I'd put the car on jackstands and remove the rear tires and see if the noise occurs in the speed range with the car in gear. Just please take all safety precautions and use a mechanic's stethoscope from the side rather than climbing under the car with it in gear; you don't want to wrap yourself around a moving part.
Old 9/8/10, 04:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I like that bet Sparky! Let us know what they find Kona!
Old 9/8/10, 04:30 PM
GT Member

found this tsb:

Year: 2010
Model: Mustang
Model: 09-20-4

TSB
09-20-4
AXLE WHINE
Publication Date: September 28, 2009

FORD:
2005-2010 Mustang
This article supersedes TSBs 8-21-6 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:

Some 2005-2010 Mustang vehicles may exhibit excessive axle whine noise.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

This condition may be corrected by installing tuned dampers on the rear axle assembly, if not already installed.

Check the rear axle assembly for the presence of tuned dampers. (Figures 1-2)

Figure 1 - Article 09-20-4

Figure 2 - Article 09-20-4

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If not present, then install tuned dampers. Refer to the installation instruction sheet included in the damper kit.
NOTE: NO DRILLING IS REQUIRED IF DAMPER MOUNTING HOLES ARE PRESENT. VEHICLES BUILT AFTER 11/15/2004 ALREADY HAVE THE REQUIRED DAMPER MOUNTING HOLES.
If whine noise persists, then continue with normal diagnostics per Workshop Manual, Section 205-00.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
5R3Z-3C246-A Damper Kit
WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
092004A 2005-2010 Mustang: Install Axle Damper Kit Includes Time To Drill Holes If Necessary (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.6 Hr.
DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
4010 d9

Last edited by kona stang10; 9/8/10 at 04:32 PM.
Old 9/9/10, 05:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
doesn't sound like the same problem you discribed in your first post. You hear the whine on decel mostly. I took my dampers off and I did hear the whine a little more.
Old 9/9/10, 06:41 AM
Bullitt Member

As long as the car is still under warranty, your dealer should fix the issue. The only way they will not honor your issue under warranty is if the aftermarket part you installed is causing the issue you are describing. Take it in and see what they say.
What you are describing is NOT axle whine. That is a constant "singing" coming from the rear end. If it is only happening in 1st & 2nd gear, it may be a bent shift fork. Does the chirp follow RPM's while in each of those gears?
Old 9/9/10, 07:28 AM
GT Member

Yeah, its more prevalent in 1st and 2nd gear and its loudest when making left turns...if i let off the gas in those gears it stops when re assume it starts again then when i hit 3rd gear it stops altogether...because it happens under power i'm inclined to think its a rear end issue, possible axle bearing or clutch pack issue.. we will see what the dealer says next week...