2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Massive 2013 GT500 Allocation Cut??

Search this Thread

Old 9/15/12, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Massive 2013 GT500 Allocation Cut??

My dealer just forwarded me an email from their zone sales rep stating that the two additional allocations the dealership had for 2013 are being taken away. The zone sales rep wrote about Ford focusing more on the producing some of their other vehicles, so the GT500 production will be closing soon) until Jan. PLUS, the zone sales rep went on tho say that when the production started up again in Jan that the cars would be the 2014 model year!?!

Has anyone else heard of this? My order has been "Locked--?" for a month, and several members here verified that means the dealership did indeed have an allocation (since it said Locked--?).

Anyone have any information to add?
Old 9/15/12, 04:38 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll chime in. I order all of our vehicles at the Ford dealer I work for. 2014 Mustang ordering does, indeed, begin in Nov (11.12.12) with '14 production starting in Jan or Feb 2013, so any GT500's ordered/scheduled during those timeframes will likely be '14's.

Our dealership was allocated just 2 '13 GT500's. Only one has come & gone (several months ago), while the 2nd is nowhere close to being scheduled. I worry now that it'll never get scheduled this model year even though it was allocated to us.

If Ford is showing your status as "Locked-In" then your car will get built for sure. If it is still showing as Material Hold (unscheduled, in essence), then be wary.
Old 9/15/12, 11:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Ok amigo, I have a build date, VIN & no window sticker. Am I getting this car built?
Old 9/16/12, 09:58 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by UOP Shadow
Ok amigo, I have a build date, VIN & no window sticker. Am I getting this car built?
You're good to go. Build date and VIN = scheduled, so you're locked in.
Old 9/16/12, 10:31 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I however am on a material hold...

If my car doesn't get built I will not leave my order in for a 14. I'll just scrap the idea all together. This has been a major PiTA as it is and I'm not gonna put up with this BS from Ford and the dealer anymore. I reckon I'll build a pool for the kids and get a sprinkler system for the yard. F this! I put money down last October on this car and was second in line and in spring the dealer was told he'd have 2 allocations. The second being mine of course.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 9/16/12 at 10:52 AM.
Old 9/16/12, 10:53 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
You're good to go. Build date and VIN = scheduled, so you're locked in.
Thanks kemosabe.
Old 9/16/12, 12:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well this isn't good to hear, was planning on putting in an order for one this week.
Old 9/16/12, 12:27 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I however am on a material hold...

If my car doesn't get built I will not leave my order in for a 14. I'll just scrap the idea all together. This has been a major PiTA as it is and I'm not gonna put up with this BS from Ford and the dealer anymore. I reckon I'll build a pool for the kids and get a sprinkler system for the yard. F this! I put money down last October on this car and was second in line and in spring the dealer was told he'd have 2 allocations. The second being mine of course.

Wow! Seriously? You put money down almost a year ago and still no sign?

However........if you do end up with a '14 (and I'd expect/want/hope your dealer to pull out all the stops to ensure you get one as soon as possible), then you'll have the last of the line, full fat, Shelby GT500. Who knows what the next flavour of SVT Mustang will be, or when we'll see it. I'm sure it'll be a killer car, but there's just something about that 650+bhp that makes me think we'll look back on this as a pinnacle of the second coming of the muscle car.
Old 9/16/12, 05:03 PM
V6 Member

I hope this helps ease the concern:

My Mustang club held its May meeting at Ford World HQ in Dearborn and a number of Ford executives spoke to us. These guys were the heavy-hitters; Dave Pericak, Mark Fields, Bill Ford and others. Several of them spoke of the 2013 Shelby GT500 and they assured our group of the following...

1) they will build every one they have an order for...

2) they will continue to build the Shelby in its present form even after the re-designed Mustang hits the world in April 2014

The Detroit press has also repeated the above two points in follow-up interviews - rest easy friends!
Old 9/16/12, 06:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Hmm soo 2014-2015 GT500 on old platform, until new GT500 released?
Old 9/16/12, 06:09 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Hmm soo 2014-2015 GT500 on old platform, until new GT500 released?
Correct sir!
Old 9/16/12, 10:11 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Storm75
2) they will continue to build the Shelby in its present form even after the re-designed Mustang hits the world in April 2014
What was the context of what they said exactly?

Was it that once it was shown, they still continue building the 2014s for people who have them on order?

I highly doubt this once the 2015MY is in production.
When the 14s are done...they are done.
Old 9/17/12, 12:16 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer

I would assume at some point in late 2013, FRAP (love that.....Flat Rock Assembly Plant!) will stop production of the S197 so that the lines can be re-tooled for the S550. How long does that take? I have no idea!!

Now, I have no idea how many production lines there are in FRAP (at least two, one for Fusion, one for Mustang), but if they have more than that, then perhaps they could still build the '14 GT500 temporarily during the transition?

I'd like to think they'd ensure they fulfil all the GT500 orders during the timeline for all S197 production though.
Old 9/17/12, 01:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Detroit press has also repeated the above two points in follow-up interviews - rest easy friends!
Can you post the links to the press reports?
Old 9/17/12, 06:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
I'll chime in. I order all of our vehicles at the Ford dealer I work for. 2014 Mustang ordering does, indeed, begin in Nov (11.12.12) with '14 production starting in Jan or Feb 2013, so any GT500's ordered/scheduled during those timeframes will likely be '14's.

Our dealership was allocated just 2 '13 GT500's. Only one has come & gone (several months ago), while the 2nd is nowhere close to being scheduled. I worry now that it'll never get scheduled this model year even though it was allocated to us.

If Ford is showing your status as "Locked-In" then your car will get built for sure. If it is still showing as Material Hold (unscheduled, in essence), then be wary.
This kind of pisses me off considering I just ordered. I didn't expect 2014 orders to kick in so soon. Ford should release more details on the 2014 model if this is the case.
Old 9/17/12, 06:59 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rando
This kind of pisses me off considering I just ordered. I didn't expect 2014 orders to kick in so soon. Ford should release more details on the 2014 model if this is the case.
If you're referring to the V6 in your signature, I wouldn't worry. I don't believe you will be affected. Five Oh Brian's post was more specific to the GT500s.
Old 9/17/12, 07:02 AM

My Mustang club held its May meeting at Ford World HQ in Dearborn and a number of Ford executives spoke to us. These guys were the heavy-hitters; Dave Pericak, Mark Fields, Bill Ford and others. Several of them spoke of the 2013 Shelby GT500 and they assured our group of the following...

Storm75,

So they can change my allocation from 2013 to 2014 and still claim "well, your car was built"?

Ford simply can't claim "they will build every one they have an order for..." because if that was the case then the whole "allocation system" wouldn't exist. There are plenty of people that say they are still waiting for an allocation even they have put their order in!
Old 9/17/12, 09:28 AM
V6 Member

Hi, Reading this has helped to ease my anxiety . I just hope its for real . This whole process is a pain in the *** . I have ordered over a dozen new cars and about the same amount of motorcycles . It seems to be getting worse . I feel as though they are trying to dissuade people from special ordering .
Old 9/17/12, 09:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
What was the context of what they said exactly?

Was it that once it was shown, they still continue building the 2014s for people who have them on order?

These would be my follow up questions as well.

I think it isn't wise to consider those high-level execs comments for only face value. In the end those roles are dual operation AND marketing/PR responsibilities so I would also try to come up with a 'creative' way to break the news to a hardcore contingent of mustang owners showing up at my office for a meet that their orders could be pushed back to next model year or even cancelled all together due to the lack of manufacturing.

LIke they say on the window sticker: "Manufacturer reserves right to make changes without any notice".

I say some of those who put their orders in too late could be broken hearted and told the 2015+ are 'better' cars anyway and they should be focusing on that (not unlike the 180 Ford did with our 10 years late IRS).
Old 9/17/12, 11:01 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
FAP (snicker) can run multiple cars on the same line.
Mustang (all models) and Mazda6 are run on the same line.

Physically it is possible, it'd be running 2 completely seperate cars (2014/2015)

I think the quote could have been taken out of context though.
We don't know when the actually 'buy' date of the 2015 is.
This could be different than the current car (say mid year) as opposed to earlier in the year like the current car.
So yes the car MIGHT have been shown public, but the 2014 build out might last a bit longer until the new car is ready.

You are not going to see any current gen cars badged as 2015s and only in GT500 form.
That's why I say when 14 stops.... it stops.
15 all new.

Last edited by Boomer; 9/17/12 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Massive 2013 GT500 Allocation Cut??