2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

M/T Ranks "Pony" Cars

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/10 | 12:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

OMG- read the comments for the videos.
Old 5/3/10 | 12:22 PM
Bullitt Member

LOL mustang gt 5.0 gets the same milage as the gensis couple track manual.

Why do you want a v6 again?
Old 5/3/10 | 12:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Bigjohns97
LOL mustang gt 5.0 gets the same milage as the gensis couple track manual.

Why do you want a v6 again?
Insurance is cheaper. Fuel economy is better. V8 is more expensive. Don't need 400+ HP (had it, rarely used it.)

I think the Mustang V6 is easily demonstrating it's street credibility.
Old 5/3/10 | 12:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Americanboy86
I'm far from a Camaro basher, I think they're pretty sweet cars, but I have to admit that I agree with everyone who says the styling is getting old. When the Camaro first came out I thought it looked great! Now that it's been around for a year or so, I've gotten used to the lines and they haven't settled well with me. Very interesting results from all of the editors.
i agree the styling feels old, im not a hater but the car was shown back in 2006/2007 the design is 4 years old at this point bout time for a refresh even though the car is only a bit over a year old
Old 5/3/10 | 12:54 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Someone needs to post this on Camaro5 so they can start making excuses or claims that Ford paid off MT.

Comgrats Ford, sounds like the engineers really stomped the competition.
Wow!

"Camaro has all the right bits and pieces but the packaging is wrong. Styling has grown old quickly -- the car looks cartoonish. Interior looks cheap, and it has by far one of the worst steering wheels and shift ***** I have ever held; both feel terrible in your hands."
- Scott Mortara

(sorry burningman... )

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/3/10 at 12:58 PM.
Old 5/3/10 | 01:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

One word:

überpwnd.
Old 5/3/10 | 01:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
Insurance is cheaper. Fuel economy is better. V8 is more expensive. Don't need 400+ HP (had it, rarely used it.)

I think the Mustang V6 is easily demonstrating it's street credibility.

I think he means the Hyundai V6.
Old 5/3/10 | 01:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
One word:

überpwnd.
I know you're lexically well-versed, but is that REALLY a word???
Old 5/3/10 | 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Someone needs to post this on Camaro5 so they can start making excuses or claims that Ford paid off MT.
lololololololol
Old 5/3/10 | 01:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Amazing.

What's even more, is that 2nd place belongs to the genesis.
Camaro left for 5th & 6th ... ouch
Old 5/3/10 | 01:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
I know you're lexically well-versed, but is that REALLY a word???
It is now!
Old 5/3/10 | 01:55 PM
GT Member

Now it's up to Ford to stay at the top of the heap. What are they planning for 2012 to keep their edge?
Old 5/3/10 | 01:56 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Yes, I was surprized at that too! Is Hyundai even a "Pony" car?

Originally Posted by Bert
Mustang GT at the top is no surprise . . . Hyundai Genesis near the top is a big surprise!
Old 5/3/10 | 02:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Poor Challenger. I feel bad for it. Chrysler needs to either shrink it's size or cost by 15%.
Old 5/3/10 | 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Falchion
Yes, I was surprized at that too! Is Hyundai even a "Pony" car?
No, it is not. I am baffled as to why MT continues to insist that it is. It's not a "muscle car" either. Not without a V8. That's kind of the definition of a muscle car. That's why the Mustang II is not a muscle car. Just sayin'.

I would consider it a tuner car.
Old 5/3/10 | 02:35 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Skotty
Poor Challenger. I feel bad for it. Chrysler needs to either shrink it's size or cost by 15%.

If they could have just built it to 90% its current size it would be quite a car. I love the way it looks, other than it just looks too big. It's a shame that they had to put it on another cars platform instead of making its own, but for the limited numbers it sells in, there is no way it could have carried its own new platform too.

I still think its an incredibly good looking car though. Just a little over weight.

Kind of like a plus size model. If only she'd drop a few pounds.
Old 5/3/10 | 02:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Falchion
Is Hyundai even a "Pony" car?
Sure, why not? Just because it doesn't have the heritage of the others? Or maybe because it's an import? I think everyone has a different definition of "pony car". We already know Ford considers the 370Z direct competition - and the Genesis is quite similar to that.
Old 5/3/10 | 02:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Eh, you can sorta call a Genesis a pony car, though it has no V8 option. Genesis has 4 cylinder and 6 cylinders where Mustangs/Camaros/Challengers have 6 cylinders and 8 cylinders. The Hyundai just has some likable track stats and sporty handling, plus some nice interior options, which seems to make Motortrend add it for flavor/comparison/telling-the-big-three-they've-got-competition. It seems pretty good for a V6.
Old 5/3/10 | 03:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MuddyLX
Now it's up to Ford to stay at the top of the heap. What are they planning for 2012 to keep their edge?
As for Ford, here's my call: 2012, expect a few tweaks to both of the engines giving a small bump in horsepower, especially to the brand new V8. Probably more wheel options for the brembos (maybe even brembos standard on the GT). I could see them throwing on a HID Foglight option. What I'd really like to see them do though is get rid of the antennas on the back and wire them all into the body and the mirrors like the Corvette. Better aerodynamics FTW, but that probably won't happen.

Aside from a few option updates and standardizing though and maybe engine tweaks, I don't expect there to be much for the 2012 Mustang, or the 2013 Mustang, but if the grapevine has it, there could be a whole new body coming soon. Personally I think they should put off the 50th anniversary until halfway through the 2014 model year when they suddenly release the 2015 Mustangs in a new body in a limited production run: "2014 1/2 50th Anniversary Special Edition", with 2015 VINs and everything, lasting from start of production to say, April 17, 2014. Then continue with 2015s as normal.
Old 5/3/10 | 03:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Lancel
Eh, you can sorta call a Genesis a pony car, though it has no V8 option. Genesis has 4 cylinder and 6 cylinders where Mustangs/Camaros/Challengers have 6 cylinders and 8 cylinders. The Hyundai just has some likable track stats and sporty handling, plus some nice interior options, which seems to make Motortrend add it for flavor/comparison/telling-the-big-three-they've-got-competition. It seems pretty good for a V6.
Eh, I understand where MT is coming from - the same ol' mustang/camaro/challenger comparos can get a bit... stale after a while. And the Genesis is a fairly fantastic car, but I wish they wouldn't make it look like the genesis is cut from the same cloth as the 3 stalwarts; it isn't. They could just say "Here's the 3 old-time contestants, with a competitor from a different class to mix things up!"

The genesis can certainly hold its own against the pony cars (*sigh* V6 Challenger... lol my SHO gets better times on a strip than that!), and it is a pretty trick car, but it's just not in the same... spirit as the muscle cars.

I think part of the problem is that the term "pony car" engenders innately patriotic feelings; it's as American as apple pie, right? And the Hyundai is... well, a Hyundai. Sure, more of it might be built in America than the other three (don't know, won't say for sure), but it's still not an American car. Ford, Chrysler, Chevrolet, these are names that the American automotive empire were built upon, and it will always be that way. Toyotas and Hondas and Hyundays and Subarus might be 100% built in the USA with USA parts and USA labor... but they're still foreign car companies. It's the collective ethos, and no amount of marketing or manufacturing is going to change that; it's built right into their names.

So, that having been said, it shall always be in my mind, "Three American Pony cars and a fresh-faced, spritely Korean competitor that is a nice car but isn't a pony car".

Quick Reply: M/T Ranks "Pony" Cars