2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Lowering with GT500 strut mounts = FAIL? Opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/15 | 07:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm doing GT500 mounts on my new setup. Reasoning is simple. 05-10 shocks/struts are cheaper than 11-14. 05-10 camber plates are cheaper than 11-14. GT500 mounts get the job done with a minimal outlay, and if I feel the need for camber plates down the road, I can still do them and sell the GT500's, because the GT500's come out without falling to pieces like the stock 11-14 mounts, and I'll still come out ahead.

As for the need for camber plates, don't listen to the people who say it's "doing it right the first time." That's a more-money-than-brains approach. Camber plates are for people who track their car regularly and need to dial in aggressive alignment settings, and then return them to street settings when the day's over. For a street car (like mine), you set your alignment, and then you get another one in a year or so (or if you hit a pothole...shame on you ) and another one a year after that...just to maintain factory settings and make the car easier to drive on rutted crappy streets. With all the common springs out there that lower in the 1.0 to 1.5" territory, your GT500's will get you into stock alignment territory, and if you reverse them (discussed above) you even get some breathing room.

Save your money on camber plates, spend it on some shocks/struts, because that IS necessary to do it right the first time. The rear shocks are so badly underdamped (at least for my taste) it's comical. Increasing the spring rate further? At the very least, get some shocks for the rear.
Old 3/8/15 | 08:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

/\ What he said /\ times 450
Old 3/8/15 | 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

Nice! Well thanks to all your help I did it and it's done.. The car looks sick dropped, handles better and I did try two methods of taking fronts off... With spring compressor it was scary and intimidating... Worked much better and did not cause the strut to fall a part.... The other tire I tried the latemodelrestoration way by using the lift as the decompressor tool under the front a arm... I did bust that mount... Lucky no bearings fell... But it did split up.. So I called AM and placed an order on all 4 corners... 05-10 koni yellows coming my way... Sad part I'll do it,again lol when my factory dampeners go. Storing the konis in the box should not cause it to fail? Lol esp until I mount them... My axle on the back did go maybe 1/8-1/4 of an inch, however I am getting the adjustable panhard bar so should be ok. Thanks again for all your help guys!
Attached Thumbnails Lowering with GT500 strut mounts = FAIL? Opinions wanted-image.jpg  

Last edited by GBStang13; 3/8/15 at 10:26 AM.
Old 3/8/15 | 11:19 AM
Bullitt Member

To anybody else out there trying to do something silly that could potentially get very painful (literally!!): Get a spring compressor !!
You can get borrow/rent them at any auto parts store. Or you can buy them at HarborFreight tools for just a few bucks.
http://www.harborfreight.com/macpher...set-61654.html

These should last to be able to do at least one car !!
Old 3/8/15 | 11:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GBStang13
Nice! Well thanks to all your help I did it and it's done.. The car looks sick dropped, handles better and I did try two methods of taking fronts off... With spring compressor it was scary and intimidating... Worked much better and did not cause the strut to fall a part.... The other tire I tried the latemodelrestoration way by using the lift as the decompressor tool under the front a arm... I did bust that mount... Lucky no bearings fell... But it did split up.. So I called AM and placed an order on all 4 corners... 05-10 koni yellows coming my way... Sad part I'll do it,again lol when my factory dampeners go. Storing the konis in the box should not cause it to fail? Lol esp until I mount them... My axle on the back did go maybe 1/8-1/4 of an inch, however I am getting the adjustable panhard bar so should be ok. Thanks again for all your help guys!

I like how it looks !
Old 3/8/15 | 08:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Plim
To anybody else out there trying to do something silly that could potentially get very painful (literally!!): Get a spring compressor !!
You can get borrow/rent them at any auto parts store. Or you can buy them at HarborFreight tools for just a few bucks.
http://www.harborfreight.com/macpher...set-61654.html

These should last to be able to do at least one car !!

Thx buddy it's how they should of been out of factory if you ask me... I owned a 2001 GT, I still own a 97 and this 2013 and I got to amdit on all of them springs are the one thing tou should get no matter what... Improves the car and day...

Yeah as far as not using the compressor.... Omg thank god that arm was held in by bolts not even they helped along with that jack how much unwind force there was... Literary can take your head off!

Again thanks for all the help, I got a great deal on koni yellows so I ordered the 05-10 ones along with my gt500 mounts and a new panhard bar the car should be great... The sucky part I'll got to do all that again

This is the car before the drop.
Attached Thumbnails Lowering with GT500 strut mounts = FAIL? Opinions wanted-image.jpg  

Last edited by GBStang13; 3/8/15 at 08:48 PM.
Old 3/8/15 | 08:49 PM
GT Member

Nice! Well thanks to all your help I did it and it's done..
Looks great!
Old 3/9/15 | 06:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm extremely encourged, guys.
Thanks for all the input...

If it's warm enough to lay on the floor of my non-heated garage, my suspension will go in this weekend!
Old 3/9/15 | 06:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 3/10/15 | 12:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tom281
^ and be careful. If you need advice hit us up.
Old 3/10/15 | 06:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

^ and be careful. If you need advice hit us up.
Much obliged, guys!
It looks like a simple job but I will share the progress.

The frustrating thing is that my "no-salt-Mustang" policy means that I'll be waiting for a big rain storm to pass through before my pony gets to stretch its new legs...so a driving review may be a bit farther down the road.
Old 3/10/15 | 07:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

You and me both. I've got a ton of things to do to mine and even if I do it in the garage I won't take it out until the salt is gone lol. Springs, shocks and struts, camber plates, lca's, relo's, panhard, and hopefully intake and tune.
Old 3/10/15 | 12:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

You and me both. I've got a ton of things to do to mine and even if I do it in the garage I won't take it out until the salt is gone lol. Springs, shocks and struts, camber plates, lca's, relo's, panhard, and hopefully intake and tune.
It has been a monumntally crappy winter for us poor northerners...but I suspect you'll agree that it makes the hot weather months that much more fun. We REALLY appreciate that first hot day of summer.

It sounds like you have some stuff ahead as well. Which shocks/struts/springs did you go with?

I'm thinking about adding the LCA relocation brackets but that might wait until everything else is up and running.
Old 3/10/15 | 06:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I love living in cali, its summer year round here. I get to enjoy my horse all year.

Last edited by Wild5.0; 3/10/15 at 06:53 PM.
Old 3/10/15 | 08:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Wild5.0
I love living in cali, its summer year round here. I get to enjoy my horse all year.
Yeah today was a rough one in Northern California 75deg.
Old 3/10/15 | 09:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
Yeah today was a rough one in Northern California 75deg.
Shut up, the both of ya.

Old 3/10/15 | 11:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Shut up, the both of ya.
Lol, come on down to cali.
Old 3/11/15 | 07:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Lol, come on down to cali.
Oh yes. I have been there many times and I always find it painful and sad to leave. Aside from the traffic in/around the major cities, it's car heaven.

I remember howling the tires on the rental car for mile after mile on the Pacific Coast Highway...I never wanted to stop!

We have some good curvy country roads over here too...they're only enjoyable for 8-9 months/year.

Last edited by MRGTX; 3/13/15 at 05:53 AM.
Old 3/11/15 | 11:39 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX

I'm thinking about adding the LCA relocation brackets but that might wait until everything else is up and running.
Speaking of relocation brackets:
What's the general consensus about the drop needed to warrant LCA relocation brackets?
I have a brand new set of BMR brackets in the garage.
My pro kit drop will only be around an inch. I am replacing the LCA's with a set of GT500 arms that I also have new out in the garage.
Should I install the BMR's at the same time or is it overkill for that 1" drop?
Old 3/11/15 | 02:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

It depends on the angle of your control arms after you lower it. If they're angled down towards the front of the car you'll need them. You want them parallel or angled down towards the rear. That will depend on the rest of your suspension and what kind of tire you're running in the rear.

Quick Reply: Lowering with GT500 strut mounts = FAIL? Opinions wanted