2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Locking Gas Cap for our 2010-2014's...

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/14, 11:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had the Ford locking plug on my car since the first week I had it and it's been just over a year since I bought the car. This is the first car I've owned without a gas cap so the plug was just a piece of mind thing. It has held up fine.

I keep the key for it on the ring with my car keys and when I take it off, I stick the whole thing in my pocket since it's not very big.

Wayne
Old 8/20/14, 05:00 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Cdvision
I've had the locking plug on my GT500 since the day I bought it. My wife's 2014 GT also has the locking plug. Cheap piece of mind.
Originally Posted by 70monte
I've had the Ford locking plug on my car since the first week I had it and it's been just over a year since I bought the car. This is the first car I've owned without a gas cap so the plug was just a piece of mind thing. It has held up fine. I keep the key for it on the ring with my car keys and when I take it off, I stick the whole thing in my pocket since it's not very big. Wayne
Thanks for the chime in guys. Glad to know there's a "few" of us with the locking has caps. Apparently we are crazy for having them . $24.99 crazy!!! Lol
Old 8/20/14, 06:07 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Now you made me paranoid about this you bastard!!
Old 8/20/14, 06:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by puma1552
As a fellow 100% swirl-free paint owner and serious detailer, I worry infinitely about someone dinging/scratching/keying/brushing up against my car. Someone pouring crap in the gas tank is so far off my radar of worry it isn't even funny. In fact, I'd be more worried that they scratched the gas door or something during the act of vandalism, lol.

Who goes around with a bucket of crap looking for a nice car to pour it in? The only cases I've ever heard of this happening where cases in which someone had a personal vendetta against someone.

On that note, I was under the impression this was strictly a Friday night cruising toy, not a toy you leave in parking lots unattended.
ONE HUNDRED percent swirl free? I'd love to see that!!
What, does the car have 10 miles on it and never gets driven or washed, and stays in a plastic bag all it's life? No car is 100% swirl free. Even with with most careful washing, you can still get a few marks here and there over time. And also driving the car will put little marks here and there from dust/debris in the air.
Swirl marks are inevitable!!
Old 8/20/14, 08:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For 2010-2014 Mustang owners that are missing their OEM gas funnel, they can be had from your Ford dealer or eBay under part no: 8U5Z-17B068-B

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Ford-Capless-Fuel-Fill-Funnel-Gas-Filler-Spout-Adapter-Lincoln-/271398758142?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AMustang&hash=item3f30a066fe&vxp=mtr
This is a public service announcement.
Old 8/20/14, 08:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
ONE HUNDRED percent swirl free? I'd love to see that!! What, does the car have 10 miles on it and never gets driven or washed, and stays in a plastic bag all it's life? No car is 100% swirl free. Even with with most careful washing, you can still get a few marks here and there over time. And also driving the car will put little marks here and there from dust/debris in the air. Swirl marks are inevitable!!
Yeah you don't know Burton...
Old 8/20/14, 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

I have one on my car. It is made by Stant, and aside from the key, it looks exactly like the Ford cap. I put it on because when I fill up, I want to keep an eye on the guy pumping the gas that he is careful. Not having a cap allowed them to start fueling too quickly. By having the cap on there, I have to remove the cap for them to start putting gas in it, and I can keep an eye on things. I guess I am being paranoid, but just one of those piece of mind things.
Old 8/20/14, 09:11 AM
I Have No Life

Now you made me paranoid about this you bastard!!
You're welcome!!!

ONE HUNDRED percent swirl free? I'd love to see that!!
What, does the car have 10 miles on it and never gets driven or washed, and stays in a plastic bag all it's life? No car is 100% swirl free. Even with with most careful washing, you can still get a few marks here and there over time. And also driving the car will put little marks here and there from dust/debris in the air.
Swirl marks are inevitable!!
Originally Posted by laserred38
Yeah you don't know Burton...
LOL LOL LOL

I was JUST going to say this, Patrick. Thanks for filling him in.

Yeah, Coyote 5-0, you are a newer member on this forum, so I won't give you too much grief. Other folks on here know me quite well. Let's just say, 100% is probably close to accurate. I won't go into extensive detail, but let's just say, every night, I inspect my car with my halogens, flourescents, and xenon lighting to make sure that no swirls, scratches, marrs, marks, etc...ANYthing is on my car from the day. She gets detailed everyday, the least of which being a good detail spray down. I used to own/run my own prof. detailing biz on the side for a number of years. When you invest over 10k in detailing equipment, you better use it, I say.

Originally Posted by silverstate777
For 2010-2014 Mustang owners that are missing their OEM gas funnel, they can be had from your Ford dealer or eBay under part no: 8U5Z-17B068-B

New Ford Capless Fuel Fill Funnel Gas Filler Spout Adapter Lincoln | eBay

This is a public service announcement.
Thanks John! Now I have to check if my car has it... lol

Originally Posted by 88lx50
I have one on my car. It is made by Stant, and aside from the key, it looks exactly like the Ford cap. I put it on because when I fill up, I want to keep an eye on the guy pumping the gas that he is careful. Not having a cap allowed them to start fueling too quickly. By having the cap on there, I have to remove the cap for them to start putting gas in it, and I can keep an eye on things. I guess I am being paranoid, but just one of those piece of mind things.
I'm so glad there's at least 5 or 6 of you on this thread who have chimed in and noted that you too, have this locking cap. I'm not the ONLY crazy one on here then getting grief from other "normal" folk... haha...

Last edited by FromZto5; 8/20/14 at 09:39 AM.
Old 8/20/14, 09:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Lol hey man, I said I had them before on my previous two Mustangs. I just got tired of forgetting to grab my key every time I got gas. I just don't care if someone wants to pour sugar in my tank. That's what insurance is for. And when you deal with insurance, you CAN negotiate for an Allumniator replacement
Old 8/20/14, 11:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

And when you deal with insurance, you CAN negotiate for an Allumniator replacement
I C what U did there.
Old 8/20/14, 11:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
You're welcome!!!

LOL LOL LOL

I was JUST going to say this, Patrick. Thanks for filling him in.

Yeah, Coyote 5-0, you are a newer member on this forum, so I won't give you too much grief. Other folks on here know me quite well. Let's just say, 100% is probably close to accurate. I won't go into extensive detail, but let's just say, every night, I inspect my car with my halogens, flourescents, and xenon lighting to make sure that no swirls, scratches, marrs, marks, etc...ANYthing is on my car from the day. She gets detailed everyday, the least of which being a good detail spray down. I used to own/run my own prof. detailing biz on the side for a number of years. When you invest over 10k in detailing equipment, you better use it, I say.

Thanks John! Now I have to check if my car has it... lol

I'm so glad there's at least 5 or 6 of you on this thread who have chimed in and noted that you too, have this locking cap. I'm not the ONLY crazy one on here then getting grief from other "normal" folk... haha...
I also bought one for a friend of mine before he picked up his 2014 GT/CS last year. He still thanks me for getting it for him as he is even more paranoid than I am. Lol
Old 8/20/14, 12:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being next to a car 100% of the time is unrealistic for any enthusiast.
Not at all. My summer toy Camaro has not been left unattended in probably 10+ years...literally. I cruise it aimlessly on God's perfect days/nights, and that's really it. No way would I leave that car in a lot for a movie night etc.

Either way, at $25 you can't go wrong with the OEM cap; just sucks there's nowhere to put it when fueling up.
Old 8/20/14, 01:16 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Cdvision
I also bought one for a friend of mine before he picked up his 2014 GT/CS last year. He still thanks me for getting it for him as he is even more paranoid than I am. Lol
Man... what is with all of you buying stuff for friends. I must either be a bad friend or have bad friends, because I've never bought anything for, or received anything car related to/from my friends. HAHA.

Originally Posted by puma1552
Not at all. My summer toy Camaro has not been left unattended in probably 10+ years...literally. I cruise it aimlessly on God's perfect days/nights, and that's really it. No way would I leave that car in a lot for a movie night etc.

Either way, at $25 you can't go wrong with the OEM cap; just sucks there's nowhere to put it when fueling up.
Ah, I see... yeah, I take mine to work even, if weather is perfect. So yeah, she gets left unattended. And when gramma comes over to sit, it's my chance to take the wifey out on a date
Old 8/20/14, 01:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Just a heads up for you guys. The Stant cap is 12 bucks and appears to be the exact same cap as the Ford cap. My guess is that Stant manufactures it for Ford and sells it under their own label as well.
Here is a link to an Ebay auction.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stant-10524-...bd517b&vxp=mtr
Old 8/20/14, 01:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just a heads up for you guys. The Stant cap is 12 bucks and appears to be the exact same cap as the Ford cap. My guess is that Stant manufactures it for Ford and sells it under their own label as well. Here is a link to an Ebay auction. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stant-10524-...bd517b&vxp=mtr
Ugh I hate seeing those keys lol

And yeah Burton, my bday is 9/21...just sayin...
Old 8/20/14, 01:59 PM
I Have No Life

Just a heads up for you guys. The Stant cap is 12 bucks and appears to be the exact same cap as the Ford cap. My guess is that Stant manufactures it for Ford and sells it under their own label as well.
Here is a link to an Ebay auction.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stant-10524-...bd517b&vxp=mtr
DANGIT Vincent... now you just made me realize I spent 10 bucks too many!!! UGH. Oh well, at least I supported my local Dealership (ugh, I can't stand them though)

Ugh I hate seeing those keys lol

And yeah Burton, my bday is 9/21...just sayin...
What's with you and those keys? I just drove her today to the gym, and the keys are in the armrest storage, never to be seen by anyone, except by me, 1x or 2x a month when I take it out for 10 seconds to open the gas cap. Then I store it again in the armrest, never to be seen until the next fill up. It doesn't stay in my key ring or in my pocket or in my visor. LOL.

As to your birthday, sounds like you can apply for your Driver's License now?
Old 8/20/14, 03:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

DANGIT Vincent... now you just made me realize I spent 10 bucks too many!!! UGH. Oh well, at least I supported my local Dealership (ugh, I can't stand them though) What's with you and those keys? I just drove her today to the gym, and the keys are in the armrest storage, never to be seen by anyone, except by me, 1x or 2x a month when I take it out for 10 seconds to open the gas cap. Then I store it again in the armrest, never to be seen until the next fill up. It doesn't stay in my key ring or in my pocket or in my visor. LOL. As to your birthday, sounds like you can apply for your Driver's License now?
Lol because the key and lock sucked to operate. So finicky. I must have gotten the crappy ones. And no what are you getting me??
Old 8/20/14, 03:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lol because the key and lock sucked to operate. So finicky. I must have gotten the crappy ones.

TWICE!
Old 8/20/14, 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

The OEM Ford locking cap comes with a two-year warranty, what about the Stant?

(This could be important for those owners who are having difficulty with their crappy caps. )
Attached Thumbnails Locking Gas Cap for our 2010-2014's...-t2ec16f-efiplz2p48bs-vpt1-iq-60_57.jpg  
Old 8/20/14, 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I can't say I am really concerned with the warranty on a 12 dollar part. But since it appears to be the same cap, I think it will last for me with the limited use the car sees.

Quick Reply: Locking Gas Cap for our 2010-2014's...