Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Locking Gas Cap for our 2010-2014's...

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/14, 11:47 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
What will be more interesting is to see how long it takes you before this cap gets tossed due to inconvenience

and no worries, I can take a joke.

I'm a little weary about the whole thing not having a lock on the gas door, Like I've been so accustom to having (since the 90's) but.... I'm putting some faith in this technology and hope that noone fiddles with my tank.
haha... you sound like Patrick. He texts me and tells me he lost the keys to it, had to hide it in the car, had to remove seats to get the keys. I'm like...what is this, a Supercharger install???
Old 8/19/14, 11:48 AM
I Have No Life

Here's a pic of it installed. It's actually a pretty nice piece. It seems to be a mixture of hard plastic or rubber and other materials. Turning the key moved the tab on the plug that locks it into the fuel flange opening. I'm not quite sure how robust this thing really is, because I'm sure if somebody wanted to really get in there all they have to do is pry at it really hard.

I can take a pic later when I get home to show the backside of the plug. I just ran home quickly for lunch and had time to do a quick install.

Edit: photo uploading on this stupid app is STILL not working. Come on mods, please fix that already. It's been 2 weeks or more.
Attached Thumbnails Locking Gas Cap for our 2010-2014's...-cap1.jpg   Locking Gas Cap for our 2010-2014's...-cap2.jpg   Locking Gas Cap for our 2010-2014's...-cap3.jpg  
Old 8/19/14, 12:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks good!
Old 8/19/14, 12:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do you need a locking gas cap on a toy that you never park anywhere and leave unattended?

As for the locking flap and how it works for a gas nozzle and not for a finger, I can't answer but I know for a fact fueling systems are more advanced than just a pipe - the gas pump automatically stopping when the tank is full is an application of the Bernoulli theorem.
Old 8/19/14, 12:52 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by puma1552
Why do you need a locking gas cap on a toy that you never park anywhere and leave unattended?

As for the locking flap and how it works for a gas nozzle and not for a finger, I can't answer but I know for a fact fueling systems are more advanced than just a pipe - the gas pump automatically stopping when the tank is full is an application of the Bernoulli theorem.
I wish I could stand by my car all day, all the time. But alas, reality sets and you realize when you go to a store, a car show (and walk around), dinner date with the wife, movie date with the wife, softball, or at work, yes, the car gets left "unattended". So plenty of opportunities where Murphy's Law could take effect.

As for the Bernoulli Principle, yep quite familiar with that, and that applies to how the gas fills/prevents overflow. But Joe just said the metal flap "locks" or prevents from opening by other objects...was just curious how.
Old 8/19/14, 01:02 PM
Bullitt Member

I own a 2009 Ford Flex. I recently ran out of gas. I have concerns about your "easy fuel no cap" fuel system.
Who would ever think that a special funnel is needed to add fuel from a portable tank? I tried everything I could think of to pry open or force open the little fuel door. Nothing worked.

Finally, I was able with some help to push the vehicle to a gas station and was able to fill the tank there. I later read about needing the special funnel in my owner’s manual. This is a very poor design in my opinion. Why can’t the fuel door be made so that any portable gas can will work without the need for the special funnel? People who are out of gas are frustrated enough already. This is also a safety concern; what if someone runs out of gas on a busy expressway? This would not be the time to fumble around with this trying to make it work in the middle of busy traffic. Not being able to figure it out, as was the case with me, could cause someone in this situation to try and push the vehicle in dangerous conditions and could cause someone to loose their life. Yes, I know we should all read our owner’s manuals – but having to use a special funnel is just not something most people would even think about.

Please consider changing this design so that the fuel door will work with the nozzle on any portable gas can, NOT requiring your special funnel to be used. Also, when the vehicle is very low on gas, say a ten mile range or less, could you consider having a yellow or red light go on (on the dash) to warn people (preferably flashing)? I realize it says “Fuel level low” on the dash but I never look at that display and it is not obvious because it is in the same green lettering that it uses to display other info – it is just not noticeable. You could at least make this warning flash when the range is very low, or add an additional red or yellow warning light as I am suggesting that flashes. Thanks for listening.
http://social.ford.com/your-ideas/te...dash-warnings/

Below explains how it works.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...-siphonin.html

Seems like the locking gas cap is largely unneeded unless you live in the ghetto or have a lot of semi-determined enemies

Last edited by Critical Mass; 8/19/14 at 01:13 PM.
Old 8/19/14, 01:49 PM
I Have No Life

^ very very interesting. So it looks like I have "extra" protection with the locking gas cap. lol.

Is the special "funnel" something that's already in our cars/spare tire area, or do we have to buy?
Old 8/19/14, 01:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
^ very very interesting. So it looks like I have "extra" protection with the locking gas cap. lol. Is the special "funnel" something that's already in our cars/spare tire area, or do we have to buy?
It's in your trunk with the tire inflator...
Old 8/19/14, 02:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just picked it up. Smaller than I thought!!! 25 for this. What is this world coming to
Burton, good choice on the locking gas cap. While the capless design prevents gas theft, it does nothing to prevent deliberate vandalism or sabotage. Any scumbag with the OEM white plastic funnel can quickly circumvent the gas tank locking flap mechanism and insert their mayhem. That’s where a locking gas cap provides a visual deterrent and a layer of security. Conventional wisdom says you're better off with a locking gas cap than without one. Me thinks.
Old 8/19/14, 03:38 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by silverstate777
Burton, good choice on the locking gas cap. While the capless design prevents gas theft, it does nothing to prevent deliberate vandalism or sabotage. Any scumbag with the OEM white plastic funnel can quickly circumvent the gas tank locking flap mechanism and insert their mayhem. That’s where a locking gas cap provides a visual deterrent and a layer of security. Conventional wisdom says you're better off with a locking gas cap than without one. Me thinks.
I agree 100%, John. So right now, I'm $24.99 short, but I have gained a wee bit of peace of mind. With the investment of both time and money (and dedication) I already put into Marilyn, $24.99 is a steal
Old 8/19/14, 04:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
You guys are way too paranoid. I bet there hasn't been 50 Mustangs in the last 10 years that this has happened to. Do you buy special high strength locking valve stems to make sure no one can break them off?

If I was that paranoid about my car, I couldn't drive it anywhere.
Old 8/19/14, 04:46 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by kylerohde
You guys are way too paranoid. I bet there hasn't been 50 Mustangs in the last 10 years that this has happened to. Do you buy special high strength locking valve stems to make sure no one can break them off? If I was that paranoid about my car, I couldn't drive it anywhere.
Kyle, you know that you're actually describing me, right? Lol. You're talking to the guy with OCD about detailing and mods, so yes that would definitely be me

And with my luck, I'd be idiot #51.
Old 8/19/14, 05:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I wish I could stand by my car all day, all the time. But alas, reality sets and you realize when you go to a store, a car show (and walk around), dinner date with the wife, movie date with the wife, softball, or at work, yes, the car gets left "unattended". So plenty of opportunities where Murphy's Law could take effect.
As a fellow 100% swirl-free paint owner and serious detailer, I worry infinitely about someone dinging/scratching/keying/brushing up against my car. Someone pouring crap in the gas tank is so far off my radar of worry it isn't even funny. In fact, I'd be more worried that they scratched the gas door or something during the act of vandalism, lol.

Who goes around with a bucket of crap looking for a nice car to pour it in? The only cases I've ever heard of this happening where cases in which someone had a personal vendetta against someone.

On that note, I was under the impression this was strictly a Friday night cruising toy, not a toy you leave in parking lots unattended.
Old 8/19/14, 05:51 PM
GT Member

35yrs of driving a dozen different cars & I've never had a locking cap and I've never had any problems. Maybe if someone is worried about someone contaminating their gas (very rare), then the cap may make sense. If trying to stop gas thieves, they like to just puncture the gas tanks with a screwdriver these days (very common now), so I think locking caps are about worthless.
Old 8/19/14, 06:08 PM
I Have No Life

As a fellow 100% swirl-free paint owner and serious detailer, I worry infinitely about someone dinging/scratching/keying/brushing up against my car. Someone pouring crap in the gas tank is so far off my radar of worry it isn't even funny. In fact, I'd be more worried that they scratched the gas door or something during the act of vandalism, lol. Who goes around with a bucket of crap looking for a nice car to pour it in? The only cases I've ever heard of this happening where cases in which someone had a personal vendetta against someone. On that note, I was under the impression this was strictly a Friday night cruising toy, not a toy you leave in parking lots unattended.
Yep. Overkill for sure. But I'm ok with that. Sounds like the majority of you all don't have locking caps nor do you want to. That's quite alright. I'll be in the minority of those "with" a locking cap.

As for the purpose of the car, it has 10k miles in 3 years. She gets driven on "God's perfect days" only. . So yes, she will inevitably get "left alone" at one point or another for a given amount of time during the driving event purpose for which she was driven (as I mentioned earlier, taking wife out to dinner, movie etc). Being next to a car 100% of the time is unrealistic for any enthusiast.

Originally Posted by skramblr
35yrs of driving a dozen different cars & I've never had a locking cap and I've never had any problems. Maybe if someone is worried about someone contaminating their gas (very rare), then the cap may make sense. If trying to stop gas thieves, they like to just puncture the gas tanks with a screwdriver these days (very common now), so I think locking caps are about worthless.
Old 8/19/14, 06:25 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
The EXACT reason why I will never need one.
I, like Burton, only take the green machine out only on God's perfect days.
Old 8/19/14, 06:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by laserred38
It's in your trunk with the tire inflator...
Haha that's what that thing is forguess I should read more of the owners manual.
Old 8/19/14, 07:24 PM
Cobra Member

As for the purpose of the car, it has 10k miles in 3 years.
THATS IT???

I've had mine for about 6ish weeks.... 2 of those weeks were holidays and not to mention i've been alternating weeks (carpooling) with my neighbor.

I have around 6,500KM already

this is exactly why i'm OK with driving it all year round. I'll scrap it and get a new one once this baby's done.
Old 8/19/14, 07:49 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
THATS IT??? I've had mine for about 6ish weeks.... 2 of those weeks were holidays and not to mention i've been alternating weeks (carpooling) with my neighbor. I have around 6,500KM already this is exactly why i'm OK with driving it all year round. I'll scrap it and get a new one once this baby's done.
That's actually a lot. My previous toy cars I've put 1-2k miles tops

Last edited by FromZto5; 8/19/14 at 07:50 PM.
Old 8/19/14, 10:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had the locking plug on my GT500 since the day I bought it. My wife's 2014 GT also has the locking plug. Cheap piece of mind.

Quick Reply: Locking Gas Cap for our 2010-2014's...