Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

LED parking lights / front turn signals - anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/10, 06:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED parking lights / front turn signals - anyone done it?

The front turn signals that are integrated into the headlight housing use 3457 bulbs. I'd like to replace the filament bulbs with LEDs. Has anyone done this yet? I've always heard turn signals are a little tricky. I've already replaced my map lights, license plate bulbs, and trunk light with LEDs.

Last edited by Adam; 2/28/10 at 06:43 PM.
Old 2/28/10, 07:20 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing about using the LED's in a flasher is whether the flasher unit is LED rated. Most of the time you can get a replacement flasher that is LED rated. Of course just thinking about it, the tail lights are LED so the cars should already have a flasher that is LED rated so they should work just fine so long as the LED replacement bulb will fit through the opening in the housing. Some of those LED replacements are bigger diameter than the incandescent bulbs.
Old 2/28/10, 10:21 PM
Cobra R Member

I was looking into these:
LINK

May need a resistor? I'm not sure yet... plus I have the HID housing, don't know if that is any different, I would assume not tho... But I've been looking into it myself. Just not sure yet. For if it's a lot of hassle I don't mind the stock ambers.

BTW where did you get your license plate bulbs from?

Old 2/28/10, 10:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
BTW where did you get your license plate bulbs from?
3910-x6 in Natural White from here. Listed under LED Festoon Bulbs.
Old 2/28/10, 11:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Not to hijack...
But thanks Adam, Just ordered them.
Do you need a resistor?
Old 2/28/10, 11:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Not to hijack...
But thanks Adam, Just ordered them.
Do you need a resistor?
You'll love them! No resistor needed.
Old 3/1/10, 07:28 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I was researching about installing LED front turnsignal bulbs on my 2011 Mustang (if i ever get to order it). The web sites i've looked at said you 'might' have to add a resistor for each of the bulbs or you might have 'fast flashing' of the turnsignal. I'm sure someone on this forum has done this.............Do the LED front turnsignal bulbs work good on your Stang?
Old 3/1/10, 08:17 AM
Cobra R Member

As Ltngdrvr mentioned, typically you have to install a new flash module so that it doesn't "Hyper Flash". However, as he also mentioned, since our tail lights are LED perhaps this isn't needed in our case.

SuperBrightLEDs.com has a large selection of 3157 bulbs here. 3457 (listed in manual) and 3157 seem to be interchangeable. I'm tempted to try one of the bulbs below.

Does it make more sense to get White LEDs or Amber LEDs? The lenses are already amber but I'm worried white might be intense enough to create a "hot spot" in the lens that appears more white than amber.

Old 3/1/10, 08:38 AM

I read, if your lens is clear your should buy the clear bulbs and if your lens is amber you should buy the amber bulb.
Old 3/1/10, 09:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by David Young
I read, if your lens is clear your should buy the clear bulbs and if your lens is amber you should buy the amber bulb.
Then it looks like the only two bulb choices from SuperBrigtLEDs.com are below. I've ordered from them before and have nothing but good things to say. Fast and reasonable shipping plus great prices.

18-LED 16mm Wedge Base Tower bulb (Amber 3157-A18-T) $17.95 each

25-LED 16mm Wedge Base Bulb (Amber 3157-A25) $7.95 each

Last edited by Adam; 3/1/10 at 09:29 AM.
Old 3/1/10, 11:42 AM
Cobra R Member

what about the side markers and rear quarter panel lights?
would those be too much if switched over to LED?
Old 3/1/10, 11:47 AM
Cobra R Member

what about the side markers and rear quarter panel lights?
would those be too much if switched over to LED?
The front and rear side markers use 194 wedge bulbs. Definitely doable but they might be a pain to access. Edit: According to our manual, the rear side marker assemblys pop out using a flat blade screwdriver.

One issue I've seen with LED map lights and reverse lights is that the LEDs remain very dimly lit when the bulb is supposed to be OFF. I'm not sure if this would occur in the turn signals.

Last edited by Adam; 3/1/10 at 12:26 PM.
Old 3/1/10, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Adam2004
Then it looks like the only two bulb choices from SuperBrigtLEDs.com are below. I've ordered from them before and have nothing but good things to say. Fast and reasonable shipping plus great prices.

18-LED 16mm Wedge Base Tower bulb (Amber 3157-A18-T) $17.95 each

25-LED 16mm Wedge Base Bulb (Amber 3157-A25) $7.95 each
I don't even have a Mustang yet LOL!!! Do the base of these bulbs look right? Do you think the top 18-LED will be brighter than the bottom 25-LED bulb? I might go and order some LED front turnsignal bulbs so i'll be ready, when i get my Mustang in.
Old 3/1/10, 02:33 PM
Cobra R Member

The front and rear side markers use 194 wedge bulbs. Definitely doable but they might be a pain to access. Edit: According to our manual, the rear side marker assemblys pop out using a flat blade screwdriver.

One issue I've seen with LED map lights and reverse lights is that the LEDs remain very dimly lit when the bulb is supposed to be OFF. I'm not sure if this would occur in the turn signals.
That's good to know, I may end up trying them... the front's shouldn't be tooooo bad from reading this instructional from the 05-09. Can't be that different.

And yea, I know my map lights stay veryyyyy dimmly light, (not really noticeable...) and can't be too much of a drain, I think. My reverse lights, I mean it seems that since there's already LED bulbs in use, that there's already a resistor installed so the bulbs don't glow. Cuz I haven't noticed any...
Old 3/1/10, 02:44 PM
Cobra R Member

And yea, I know my map lights stay veryyyyy dimmly light, (not really noticeable...) and can't be too much of a drain, I think. My reverse lights, I mean it seems that since there's already LED bulbs in use, that there's already a resistor installed so the bulbs don't glow. Cuz I haven't noticed any...
Two people on another mustang forum claimed that the Lethal Performance reverse light LEDs stay dimly lit when not in reverse.
Old 3/1/10, 03:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Two people on another mustang forum claimed that the Lethal Performance reverse light LEDs stay dimly lit when not in reverse.
Hmmm, I'll take much closer look into it then.

BTW which 194 bulb would you think for the side markers both fronts and back... ?

I'm thinking to go with the WLED-x4 at a 32 degree as it's more focused? as opposed to 90 degree...
But for 79 cents each I may just buy the WLED-X at 90 degrees and compare for the hell of it.

Old 3/1/10, 03:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Hmmm, I'll take much closer look into it then.

BTW which 194 bulb would you think for the side markers both fronts and back... ?

I'm thinking to go with the WLED-x4 at a 32 degree as it's more focused? as opposed to 90 degree...
But for 79 cents each I may just buy the WLED-X at 90 degrees and compare for the hell of it.

The stock filament bulbs throw light in every direction. By nature LEDs produce very directional light. The bulbs listed above won't fully illuminate the marker enclosure as well as the OEM bulb. Because SMD LEDs aren't as directional and output more light, I would probably go with WLED-xHP or WLED-xHP5. I have the WLED-xHP5 in my map lights and I'm very happy with them. The illumination generated looks OEM but it's a brighter crisp white. However, the head of the bulb is fatter than OEM so I can't guarantee it would fit into the marker enclosure (I had this problem with my map lights, marker enclosures may or may not have a larger bulb opening). If I purchased today I would probably buy both WLED-xHP5 and WLED-xHP.

This is what I want to avoid:

Last edited by Adam; 3/1/10 at 03:26 PM.
Old 3/1/10, 03:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Ahh that's very true. Cancel my decision!
You know, nicely they have all the exact measurements of each bulb so I'll def measure the original bulb once I get around to it (plus see if there's extra room)... The xHP5's are 25.35mm the xHP's are 20.1mm.

I'm thinking the xHP's will be the safest bet... But once the original is measured, like you said, can't say for certain
Old 3/1/10, 04:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Ahh that's very true. Cancel my decision!
You know, nicely they have all the exact measurements of each bulb so I'll def measure the original bulb once I get around to it (plus see if there's extra room)... The xHP5's are 25.35mm the xHP's are 20.1mm.

I'm thinking the xHP's will be the safest bet... But once the original is measured, like you said, can't say for certain
According to their website they take returns on LED Bulbs even if the packaging is open.

RETURN POLICY

We have a 30 day return policy. Please email or call for return authorization (you do not require an RMA Number) if you need to return or exchange items. A copy of the invoice is required to return or exchange items. Please order small sample quantities of leds to test for suitability in your application before ordering large quantities. A 15% restocking fee will be charged for the return of orders totaling $100 or more. LEDS (not LED bulbs) cannot be returned if the package has been opened, LED Bulbs and other products can be.
You are responsible for return shipping and we will not refund your original shipping charge.
Old 3/1/10, 05:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Why the LED craze? Do you just prefer the way the LED lights look?

Quick Reply: LED parking lights / front turn signals - anyone done it?