Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Kinda worried....

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/11, 10:36 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinda worried....

Ok so I picked up my GT yesterday (sweeeet bad a$$ machine) I'm just worried because this is my first new car and also my first time driving a manual transmission so of course I stalled a few times, had good shifts, no grinding gears or anything. My question is that after I drove it home and parked the car I smelled like burning rubber or something (I'm hoping it wasn't from me stalling out) does this mean I'm ruining my clutch?? Or was that smell from the car being new? I'm really concerned. Thanks guys.
Old 8/7/11, 10:42 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by BKStyles
Ok so I picked up my GT yesterday (sweeeet bad a$$ machine) I'm just worried because this is my first new car and also my first time driving a manual transmission so of course I stalled a few times, had good shifts, no grinding gears or anything. My question is that after I drove it home and parked the car I smelled like burning rubber or something (I'm hoping it wasn't from me stalling out) does this mean I'm ruining my clutch?? Or was that smell from the car being new? I'm really concerned. Thanks guys.
Most likely your typical new car break in smell. Don't worry about it.
Old 8/7/11, 10:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

It could be clutch although that doesn't smell like rubber. Just a thought since u sound like u were having some problems at first with the manual.
Old 8/7/11, 11:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau

Most likely your typical new car break in smell. Don't worry about it.
That.

Good choice on the car! Congrats!
Old 8/7/11, 11:15 AM
Cobra R Member

Good Luck with the new car and good luck too the car having to deal with Brooklyn Streets. Driving to work in Bklyn the streets totally destroyed my Explorer. Repairing the suspension left and right.

Im on Long Island and I should be picking mine up in a few days I hope. I also got a CS. Black/Black

Last edited by 2012GTCS; 8/7/11 at 11:18 AM.
Old 8/7/11, 01:06 PM
V6 Member

You could also be riding the clutch too much
Old 8/7/11, 01:24 PM
GT Member

Thanks guys I was really concerned about it. I really hope it's the new car settling in. What does it mean that I'm riding the clutch?

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Good Luck with the new car and good luck too the car having to deal with Brooklyn Streets. Driving to work in Bklyn the streets totally destroyed my Explorer. Repairing the suspension left and right.

Im on Long Island and I should be picking mine up in a few days I hope. I also got a CS. Black/Black
Lol we have natural speed bumps called pot holes and uncovered sewer holes. Lol I'm praying that the car handles well on these streets. Good luck to u too. You will 100% love the car.
Old 8/7/11, 01:28 PM

Riding the clutch means exactly that...driving with your foot on the clutch, when it should only touch when you're about to shift.
Old 8/7/11, 01:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by dunarze
Riding the clutch means exactly that...driving with your foot on the clutch, when it should only touch when you're about to shift.
Yes never hold your foot on the clutch pedal while driving. Only when you're shifting. In between shifts, move your foot to the left of it. Even if you don't think you're putting any pressure on the pedal, you still may be if you keep your foot on it.
Old 8/7/11, 02:05 PM
V6 Member

My auto had the same smell after the first few times I rode in it (especially if I really got on it) but it went away rather quickly. My car had a whole 1.2 miles when I bought it so I'm assuming it was just breaking in.
Old 8/7/11, 02:06 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dunarze

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau

Yes never hold your foot on the clutch pedal while driving. Only when you're shifting. In between shifts, move your foot to the left of it. Even if you don't think you're putting any pressure on the pedal, you still may be if you keep your foot on it.
Wow I was doing that too. Thanks for the heads up guys. I really appreciate it.
Old 8/7/11, 02:23 PM

More than likely the smell you're smelling is the mufflers. It usually lasts for about a week and then it will go away.

Since you're new to a manual transmission I'd recommend going to an empty parking lot and learning where the engagement point on your clutch is. Our cars have enough torque that you can slowly let the clutch out until the car starts moving without ever giving it any gas. Practice that for a bit and then start giving it a bit of gas when you hit the engagement point to get a smooth start. First gear and reverse are the toughest to learn, everything else is easy once you're moving .

Oh and the first time you find yourself at a stop on an incline, just remember that the e-brake is your best friend
Old 8/7/11, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by VA Raptor
More than likely the smell you're smelling is the mufflers. It usually lasts for about a week and then it will go away.

......Our cars have enough torque that you can slowly let the clutch out until the car starts moving without ever giving it any gas......
Every manual I have ever driven can do that... some require more delicate touch though....but if I'm not mistaken 99.999% of manual cars can do that !

Good luck with the break in BKStyles... just don't drop the clutch too fast while placing a heavy foot on the gas until you're ready... be delicate because the 5.0 is a beast !
Old 8/7/11, 08:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow I was doing that too. Thanks for the heads up guys. I really appreciate it.
Hahaha, I love your avatar
Old 8/8/11, 09:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
dont even worry about it, my car had that smell when i first got it and its an auto... just be smooth and gentle with the clutch, and follow the break in procedure and you should be fine
Old 8/8/11, 10:50 AM

I work at Honda .. I smell that all day long .. Its normal .. now if it still there after 100 miles you might want to take a look...
Old 8/8/11, 03:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Where in Brooklyn are you?? Im all around BK lately,.....
Old 8/8/11, 04:42 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by J1000
Hahaha, I love your avatar
Haha... agreed! I test drove a Lava Red GT and even the guy at the dealership had no idea it wasn't black. When he went to go get it he said, "We mistakenly have this car marked as 'red' in the system, even though it's black". It wasn't until I noticed the red flake in the direct sunlight that we figured it out.
Old 8/8/11, 05:39 PM
Bullitt Member

When I got my car home I could smell the fresh rubber and the clutch but I haven't smelt anything since. The clutch does have to break in as well as every other part that involves some sort of contact. My brakes squealed in the first couple miles and went away along with a little clutch hiss. Now shes a beast that will leave some nice fresh rubber on the ground.

You dont have to worry, shes just getting used to the new parts. This was my first manual as a regular driver and it took me about 100 miles to catch onto the way she reacts. It comes with time and as soon as your comfortable this car just becomes more and more awesome.
Old 8/8/11, 07:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yup, new car break in smell, summer more than normal also at least here in Phoenix!

Quick Reply: Kinda worried....