Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Just for grins...

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/10, 01:10 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just for grins...

After watching Jay Leno do a review, I went and spec'd out a 2011 BMW M3 coupe.

It's a fairly neat car, sounded killer on the Leno vid.

But...

At $69,825 there is no way that it is worth TWO 2011 Mustang GT's!

And it is a gas guzzler!

With 414 HP and only 295 TQ, why can't BMW make it get mileage as good as a new Mustang GT?

Maybe the build quality is a little better than what Ford is doing but still not a two for one exchange.

And you have to load a bunch of options on it just to get it to the level of content that the Premium 2011 Mustang GT comes with as standard.

Well, it piqued my interest but lost me very quickly too.

Guess my dreams will stay with the Mustang!
Old 8/10/10, 01:14 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh yeah, I did spec the one high dollar option that would be slick to have available on the Mustang, a double clutch manual transmission.

Leno doesn't like them but they are way cool in my opinion.
Old 8/10/10, 01:27 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just for laughs, someone with more money than sense should try swapping a TiVCT 5.0 into the BMW and see how much faster it'll go.
Old 8/10/10, 05:24 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
Just for laughs, someone with more money than sense should try swapping a TiVCT 5.0 into the BMW and see how much faster it'll go.
Old 8/10/10, 04:07 PM
GT Member

Yup i like the M3, looked at a couple of them over the years while getting my oil changed at the BMW dealer. However, pricing is up there. Nice car, but at 65k plus, thats alot. Some guys on the BMW forum are buying them with select loans. Which cost per month is about 750-800, with a ballon payment at the end of 5 years. Ronn
Old 8/10/10, 04:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Drive one and you'll understand why people love them. It's not always about numbers.

I would have purchased a 335i if I didn't win the promo for my GT.
Old 8/10/10, 04:17 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Adam2004
Drive one and you'll understand why people love them. It's not always about numbers.

I would have purchased a 335i if I didn't win the promo for my GT.
They're great cars, don't get me wrong, but I feel as though the 3-Series may be a bit overrated.
Old 8/10/10, 04:42 PM
Cobra Member

They are very nice cars and I was shopping them very seriously a year ago and was going to buy one but since then I have started a business and didn't want that kind of money wrapped up in a car not to mention the 5.0 came out and really changed my mind totally. I wouldn't buy the M3 now anyway but they certainly are a helluva car!!
Old 8/10/10, 04:46 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by todd03blown
They are very nice cars and I was shopping them very seriously a year ago and was going to buy one but since then I have started a business and didn't want that kind of money wrapped up in a car not to mention the 5.0 came out and really changed my mind totally. I wouldn't buy the M3 now anyway but they certainly are a helluva car!!
Just to clarify my statement above, I have never driven an M3, which I'm sure is an awesome ride. Hell, for $70,000 -- about 2x the cost of my nicely-equipped 2011 Mustang GT -- it had better be! I do own a 2010 335d, though, and you're right, it's a great car.
Old 8/10/10, 04:49 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
Just to clarify my statement above, I have never driven an M3, which I'm sure is an awesome ride. Hell, for $70,000 -- about 2x the cost of my nicely-equipped 2011 Mustang GT -- it had better be! I do own a 2010 335d, though, and you're right, it's a great car.
Yep I was going to do the european delivery option and all. The 335's are sweet rides as well
Old 8/10/10, 05:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The Mustang certainly is in a new class now. M3 class? Maybe not, but from a numbers game, very, very, almost too close. I'd certainly go Stang at this point and loose a little elegance that the M3 brings. Either way it's a bit of a different driving experience. The Stang is still an American pony, the BMW is a compact thrill ride. In many ways the two have indirectly competed against each other since their inception. The Mustangs and Corvettes of yester-year were a response to the European machines. Now is a testament to what these brands have accomplished.
Even still, the Mustang will remain closer to an every man's sports car. I too love the elegance our 335 delivers but the kid in me wants the Mustang. All of this is really throwing cost asside because it's absurd what the M3's cost and cost to maintain. They are very motorsport oriented and so the smaller amount of high tolerance parts are going to rack up quite a bill. The Mustang has a lot more to account for. BMW knows it won't be selling their cars to just anyone. The Mustang has sold to EVERYONE. Quite the opposite. As cars like the M3 and GTR edge toward the pinacle of on road technology, I'd like to think that the Mustang still retains a lot of it's spirit leaving the driving up to the driver.