Search this Thread

Old 8/22/14, 01:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Old 8/22/14, 01:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dmichaels
I think RX is charging along the lines of $250-300.

Based on the testing I've seen, I would never again buy a JLT, but I would have no issue buying a Bob's.

Interesting note for my car - I caught MUCH more oil (in both JLT and RX) when I was on Motorcraft 5w50 oil. It had sheared to 5w40 when I ran the testing (as shown through oil testing I performed almost immediately after that track day). The Castrol was brand spanking new and was (most likely) at 5w50 weight for the entire 230 track miles in the recent round of testing. I'm wondering if the thinner the oil gets, the more it is ventilated and caught in a good catch can?
thanks for being honest! (not to say that I don't think you have been prior to this post)

I'm pretty sure that the bob's can caught everything in the other thread by 70monte that to me is amazing especially being it at half the cost of the rx can.

The rx can, can hold more fluid believe, not sure if that justifies that additional extra $$$'s none the less.

Thanks for doing these tests and being honest
Old 8/22/14, 01:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

You're right. What we should do is pour that stuff down the drain or put it in a landfill! All in the name of saving a few tablespoons of oil from entering the combustion chamber, being burned, and converted into less harmful substances via a catalyst.
Old 8/22/14, 01:38 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
^ where is Monte's thread for the Bob's comparison? I may have missed that... anyone have a link? I want to see my Bob's perform
Old 8/22/14, 01:51 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
You're right. What we should do is pour that stuff down the drain or put it in a landfill! All in the name of saving a few tablespoons of oil from entering the combustion chamber, being burned, and converted into less harmful substances via a catalyst.
Thats not necessarily true. almost ALL shops would take any oil you have for recycling, feee. they make money on that stuff. its really no different than when you change your own oil. I would hope that you'd recycle the oil rather then tossing it to landfill.

Originally Posted by FromZto5
^ where is Monte's thread for the Bob's comparison? I may have missed that... anyone have a link? I want to see my Bob's perform

i'll see if i can find it..
Old 8/22/14, 01:55 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-phase-532175/
Old 8/22/14, 02:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
That video is FRIGGEN AWESOME!! I love the HUD overlay on the video, wow technology these days!

But anyway, what's the real point of these? Seems a bit excessive. That much oil couldn't hurt anything
The video and data overlays now are awesome. I love the iphone

The oil I captured was over 230 miles. Multiply that by 100 (23,000 miles) and that is A LOT of oil ingested. 10mL x 100 = 1000 mL which is a litre of oil. More than I want in the engine. Yes, it's over time, but I saved 10mL from going into the engine which was spinning 4000-7000 RPM for 230 miles. A couple little items like this add up!
Old 8/22/14, 02:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
thanks for being honest! (not to say that I don't think you have been prior to this post)

I'm pretty sure that the bob's can caught everything in the other thread by 70monte that to me is amazing especially being it at half the cost of the rx can.

The rx can, can hold more fluid believe, not sure if that justifies that additional extra $$$'s none the less.

That's exactly what I'm going for - completely unbiased review of a couple different products. I plan to continue testing the RX can against the JLT for another 1 or 2 track days, then switching to comparing it to the Moroso can (which was GENEROUSLY given to me from another forum member for testing purposes!!) over the remainder of this season and (if I can keep it for a while...) the beginning of next season.

Based on the info I have at this point in time, I would happily run a single RX can or a single Bob's can and feel confident I was not re-ingesting oil. I am sort of ashamed I bought a JLT can with my hard earned money. I (almost) feel bad putting it up for sale when I complete my testing!! I think it would be OK for the average daily driven car, but in the environment I run mine in it absolutely is unacceptable!
Old 8/22/14, 03:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thats not necessarily true. almost ALL shops would take any oil you have for recycling, feee. they make money on that stuff. its really no different than when you change your own oil. I would hope that you'd recycle the oil rather then tossing it to landfill.
Originally Posted by dmichaels
The oil I captured was over 230 miles. Multiply that by 100 (23,000 miles) and that is A LOT of oil ingested. 10mL x 100 = 1000 mL which is a litre of oil. More than I want in the engine. Yes, it's over time, but I saved 10mL from going into the engine which was spinning 4000-7000 RPM for 230 miles. A couple little items like this add up!

I know, I know....I was semi-trolling. Yeah all that oil isn't the greatest, but nothing a little fuel injector cleaner couldn't take care of
Old 8/22/14, 05:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The cost of the RX version that I'm using is $199. The ones that you see for around $300+ is their monster can which is quite a bit larger than the one I'm running. I think I paid about $115 for my basic Bob's can setup.

As far as holding capacity, the Bob's can only holds 3 ounces up to the inlet connector and that is with no mesh installed. With the mesh installed I'm sure it's less than that. I believe that the basic RX can like what I have, holds about 12 ounces or more.
I'm about 465 miles into the second phase of my test with the RX can first in line. Hopefully I can get it done within the next month.
Wayne
Old 8/23/14, 05:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
not trying to hijack this thread. Just wondering if breathers really do that, then what's the point to a catch can? breathers are essentially maintenance free where as a catch can does require you to drain it...
Much easier and more effective than any fancy catch can. And cheaper.
Originally Posted by laserred38
Technically breathers aren't emissions legal. And you do need to clean/replace them every so often too (so I have read)...
Neither is running with no cats which a lot of guys do as well. Plus it takes two minutes to switch back to stock to go through emission tests.

And mine have been on for two years and I have yet to clean/replace them.
Old 8/23/14, 08:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Much easier and more effective than any fancy catch can. And cheaper. Neither is running with no cats which a lot of guys do as well. Plus it takes two minutes to switch back to stock to go through emission tests. And mine have been on for two years and I have yet to clean/replace them.
That's true, I was just starting for the masses. I have no problem removing emissions stuff. Which breathers are you running again? I'm thinking about running them (or at least the driver's side for now) since they clean up the engine bay.
Old 10/13/14, 06:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad to see people are testing products, but something is very wrong with your testing.
If we didn't test our product I'd understand, but we do and the results are no where near yours.
1) Having one unit after another can cause a high pressure draw and give false readings.
2) How was this set up done? Pictures please.

if the JLT was not set up with the oil going INTO the filter side first, you will get the results you did.

We have proven to collect as much or more than Bob's in this video:

In 500 miles we collect 9 MLs, which is way off from your testing.

Also see all the other test videos we have done that saw your test was not done right:
05-10 GT 15 mls in 1800 miles

Raptor 630 miles 20 ml

I applaud you for testing, I wish more people would do it, but you need to do it right.
The only way you could get these results is if the JLT was backwards.

So for double the money I'd rethink it...
Thanks
Jay
Old 10/13/14, 07:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

The JLT was installed correctly.
Old 10/13/14, 07:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry, than something else is skewed in your test as it doesn't match any of ours or customers results. Let's see how you set it up.
Old 10/13/14, 08:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tucker
Sorry, than something else is skewed in your test as it doesn't match any of ours or customers results. Let's see how you set it up.
Lol, how are you going to say someone else's results are skewed? Just because they don't match your results? That's the worst reasoning I have ever heard.
Old 10/13/14, 08:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Not really unless you aren't open minded.

One person tests and posts videos over and over with great results. Internet full of happy customers posting pics of oil caught in the JLT

vs
a test done where it collects nearly nothing

Hmmm, I think somethings a tad bit skewed
Old 10/13/14, 11:19 AM
I Have No Life

Not really unless you aren't open minded. One person tests and posts videos over and over with great results. Internet full of happy customers posting pics of oil caught in the JLT vs a test done where it collects nearly nothing Hmmm, I think somethings a tad bit skewed
And that's why, my good sir, you are going to continue losing business with mentalities and reasonings like that. I remember reading threads, discussions, and videos about how your product was made and tested compared with other products on the market.that's why I got rid of my JLT for a Bob's. The only thing "skewed" here is your misguided perception that your product is superior to many others on the market.

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/13/14 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10/13/14, 12:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

LOL,
For the record JLT is up 18% over last year and Oil Separator sales are up 15%.

Bob's did a video that pushed the laws of physics and I called them out.
But it enlightened us to a flaw in the design.

We developed a new filter for some models and did tons of testing, hence why I know this test was done incorrectly or in the wrong direction of flow.

We're not stupid, we've been doing this for over 10 years and grow every year.

The interweb cowboys can type what ever they want, but I and my customers know the facts. You can not run a JLT the correct way and not collect oil.

Threads like this don't bother me anymore because I have taken the time to prove how my product works.
Unlike a thread with no pictures or video of the set up, just words and a picture of oil.
Sorry guys,

That and the price will increase JLT sales. Keep talking about us, it works
Old 10/13/14, 12:54 PM
I Have No Life

LOL,
We're not stupid, we've been doing this for over 10 years and grow every year.
Neither are the manufacturers of the other oil/separator products.

Your attitude, your tone, and your views suggest you feel otherwise. Part of the reasons why you won't get my business.

Threads like this don't bother me anymore because I have taken the time to prove how my product works.
Then, why might I ask, are you on this thread? This was an independent test set up by one of our forum members. I don't recall him or any of us asking for your input. Given that, I suggest you are contradicting yourself. Not that I care, by any means, just thought I'd point that out.

Unlike a thread with no pictures or video of the set up, just words and a picture of oil.
Sorry guys,
This is one of/part of many other tests that the OP and others have run. I don't think a "video" is necessary for something as simple as an inlet and and an exit. You of all people should know that. This is thread #3 or 4 of many.

Again, the purpose of this thread is for customers/users like us to see how well a product performs.

That and the price will increase JLT sales. Keep talking about us, it works
Again, your tone and attitude precedes you. If it works for your business model, fantastic. More power to you. I sure don't run my business this way, and yes, it also "works".

Quick Reply: JLT vs RX Catch Can - Results Part 2