2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

JLT Oil separator

Search this Thread

Old 6/19/14, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JLT Oil separator

Received n installed JLT oil separator last night.
Very happy w the build quality, design, n the black finish. Extremely ez to install.... I highly recommend JLT oil separator to who ever is considering buy a oil separator/catchcan.

N w that being said. I have two question that I would like to ask....

1of2

do I need to empty the oil separator when it fills w oil or does it some how make it's ways back in to the engine/oil pan?

2of2

N it seems like the tone of the exhaust has changed slightly since I installed the oil separator, Or am I just f'in crazy? lol it might just be the weather thought. Cuz the temp in the Boston area has spiked by 20 degrees in the last couple of days.
Old 6/19/14, 08:16 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
I originally bought a jlt them returned it for a bobs. Bobs works better than a jlt. With a jlt, oil still gets in.
Old 6/19/14, 09:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I have been looking at catch cans / oil Separators What ever you want to call them. I have about 500 Miles on my new 2014 GT track car. The stock PCV hose and connector passenger side is bone dry. Not even a hint of oil. I am wondering as I have asked before if it has something to do with the weight of the oil? Track pack cars have 50W oil in them. Also on the valve cover opening I have a Black pin on the hole of the hose connector? Is this a true PCV Valve??

Well I have read all I can on Who is better. I get Bob's is the best because of how it is designed but if I have no oil anywhere not even in the hose then I am thinking any one will do the same job if any oil gets by??

Is my thinking correct? UPR makes a great one. Steeda has one that should work just like Bob's Goes in the bottom and comes out the top/// Im so lost. Im heading the way of Steeda..

Bilet tech makes a fantastic one. The challenger guys say that is the best.. You can get lost in this Catch Can Craze..

Last edited by Jazzman442; 6/19/14 at 09:29 PM.
Old 6/19/14, 09:48 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
I have been looking at catch cans / oil Separators What ever you want to call them. I have about 500 Miles on my new 2014 GT track car. The stock PCV hose and connector passenger side is bone dry. Not even a hint of oil. I am wondering as I have asked before if it has something to do with the weight of the oil? Track pack cars have 50W oil in them. Also on the valve cover opening I have a Black pin on the hole of the hose connector? Is this a true PCV Valve?? Well I have read all I can on Who is better. I get Bob's is the best because of how it is designed but if I have no oil anywhere not even in the hose then I am thinking any one will do the same job if any oil gets by?? Is my thinking correct? UPR makes a great one. Steeda has one that should work just like Bob's Goes in the bottom and comes out the top/// Im so lost. Im heading the way of Steeda.. Bilet tech makes a fantastic one. The challenger guys say that is the best.. You can get lost in this Catch Can Craze..
Steedas oil separator doesn't go through the bottom. It's inline, like JLTs, for both their plastic one and their billet one. Unless steeda came up with a new product/design.
Old 6/20/14, 12:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You should think about a higher quality catch can, like bobs.

Here is my JLT catch can after approximately 200 miles.

I empty it out every 250 miles regardless.

It seems to collect a decent amount of oil, but it definitely let some through. Notice the shine on my PCV inlet that shouldn't be there. Oil is also inside the line, and I clean each section before reinstallation.
Attached Thumbnails JLT Oil separator-image-2867041483.jpg   JLT Oil separator-image-1667463664.jpg  
Old 6/20/14, 03:37 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KushBandit
Notice the shine on my PCV inlet that shouldn't be there. Oil is also inside the line, and I clean each section before reinstallation.
That's the outlet.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/20/14 at 03:38 AM.
Old 6/20/14, 06:28 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Steedas oil separator doesn't go through the bottom. It's inline, like JLTs, for both their plastic one and their billet one. Unless steeda came up with a new product/design.

Does anyone have a picture of the inside of the Steeda Catch Can part number 555-3713 ? The picture I sw had the intake tube on one side running down toward the bottom in effect a bottom input can? I wish the Mishimoto or Radium cans where less money. I would get one of them.

Those cans are engendered to catch everything in racing applications.
Old 6/20/14, 06:33 AM
Cobra Member

You should think about a higher quality catch can, like bobs.

Here is my JLT catch can after approximately 200 miles.

I empty it out every 250 miles regardless.

It seems to collect a decent amount of oil, but it definitely let some through. Notice the shine on my PCV inlet that shouldn't be there. Oil is also inside the line, and I clean each section before reinstallation.
On your picture of the blue connector mine has a small black plastic pin sticking out of it and is movable? I'm thinking it is some kind of valve?

Does anyone else have it?

Mine is a 2014 GT
Old 6/20/14, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco

That's the outlet.
Yes, you are absolutely correct.

I guess this forum app didn't let me upload all the pictures. Tried 4 but only two went up.

Here's my actual inlet.(1st picture) *taken with a crappy iPhone camera*

Originally Posted by Jazzman442

On your picture of the blue connector mine has a small black plastic pin sticking out of it and is movable? I'm thinking it is some kind of valve?

Does anyone else have it?

Mine is a 2014 GT
Like this? (2nd picture)
Attached Thumbnails JLT Oil separator-image-1756784182.jpg   JLT Oil separator-image-3203472203.jpg  

Last edited by KushBandit; 6/20/14 at 02:48 PM.
Old 6/21/14, 08:30 AM
Cobra Member

Yes, you are absolutely correct.

I guess this forum app didn't let me upload all the pictures. Tried 4 but only two went up.

Here's my actual inlet.(1st picture) *taken with a crappy iPhone camera*

Like this? (2nd picture)
Yes that is how mine looks. I still have no oil residue or nothing in the pipe????