2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

January 2012 Mustang Sales Figures

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/12, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1992chpb4c
I really think the movie Transformers has boosted the sales more than anything. Every car show I go to has some middle aged fruitcake with a 5th Gen and bumble bee crap. They even have night rider lights on that fake scoop thing. That right there would stop me from buying a 5th gen.
It has absolutely played a role.... The first time I saw the new camaro drive in that tunnel in transformers I (and I suspect many others) I said to myself..... I must own that car. Even the song choice was brilliant.

From the outside to me the camaro is the best looking car by quite a bit (I am also in the younger demographic). The thing just oozes sexy. That said the camaro to me is skin deep.... Once you get inside it the story changes very significantly. They really did do the thing apple has captured so well in taking form over function. The sight lines in all directions are horrible in a camaro and all the other things as well. I eventually came to this realization but it really did take a very long time to get over the initial lust for the camaro. I suspect most will not have the patience to really try the other options.

Last edited by jagowar; 2/10/12 at 09:20 PM.
Old 2/10/12, 09:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The Camaro sells as well beacuse it's new and different. There really is no more reason than that. It's new, it's now, it's the Justin Beiber of the automotive world.

Mustangs are a dime a dozen. I see them everywhere I go. They've been around for a long time and the basic body style is now 7 years old. It's a hell of a great car, but asthetically, it's showing it's age.

Chrysler isn't selling well because their cars are all just 300Cs with a different body, which are bricks with wheels. I drove one and to me it felt remarkably like driving a pickup truck. Plus Chrysler has a bad reputation, and a well deserved one at that.
Old 2/14/12, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by tbi0904
Dude, don't get your panties in a bunch. I wasn't trying to be rude at all, just pointing out why some of us were discussing 1998-2002 engines, which started on page 1. This is a very friendly Mustang forum, don't take it quite so serious.
Don't worry, I'm not nearly as serious as you apparently think I am. Simply stated, I was making a point that you were complaining to me and openly insinuating that I shouldn't make any points you don't 1st understand and 2nd, have no objections with, all the while, not actually telling me what you disagreed with along the way. Struck me as kinda...

My point remains, however, on which engine is truly better. The 4.6 is stronger, overall, than the LS1(and most LS engines to date).

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
The last build date is February 27th, t-fatty.

Deysha
Why so FRIGGIN' early? Does anyone ELSE remember when the production model year ended in September, as a rule??? For some 30yrs, until June of 2002, when Ford introduced the 2003 Cobra, this stuff was all easy and well-timed. Now here we are introducing 2013 vehicles in the 1st couple months of 2011... It's nothing more than a bad joke at this point.

Originally Posted by DrDisney
Great points! Marketing matters. The Camaro is also heavily featured in Hawaii 5-0, so much so that is sometimes look like an ad for the car. GM has a done a great job with product placement and marketing even though most people believe Ford builds a better product today.
Thank you... I totally agree. I'm in and out of cars owned by other people almost daily and I see what's 'quality' based on the age of the vehicle and its current condition. I have no problem saying, GM has 2 categories. #1 is labeled Cadillac or Buick and #2 is labeled... the junk builds. I would exclude CORVETTE from that label, because it IS different than every other Chevrolet. Anyway, I can see poor interior quality in a moment and GM, while better over the past 5-10yrs, is still behind just about everything else on the road with the "#2" brands.

Originally Posted by Moustang
The Camaro sells as well beacuse it's new and different. There really is no more reason than that. It's new, it's now, it's the Justin Beiber of the automotive world.
Those are 2 of the many reasons its selling so well. People buy it for various reasons, foremost being that they know it's available. That's due to advertising. They're told how great it rides due to IRS, which is generally speaking only a crock of crapola. Anyone actually believing that IRS automatically makes the vehicle ride smooth have never ridden in a Lincoln Town Car... or a Ford Crown Victoria, for that matter. Either of them makes the Camaro feel like a tank.

Mustangs are a dime a dozen. I see them everywhere I go. They've been around for a long time and the basic body style is now 7 years old. It's a hell of a great car, but asthetically, it's showing it's age.
Plentiful, yes. Dime a dozen... if ever, not anymore. The 7yr old body style seems old... but to whom, I truly wonder? Most people can look at a 2005 Mustang and have no idea what model year it is. More people still, couldn't tell me the difference between a 1990 and 1993 Mustang. Of course, the '79-93 were so much alike, it's a wonder they sold so well...

Chrysler isn't selling well because their cars are all just 300Cs with a different body, which are bricks with wheels. I drove one and to me it felt remarkably like driving a pickup truck. Plus Chrysler has a bad reputation, and a well deserved one at that.
The Chrysler brands are selling less because they cost so much for what the buyer takes home.

Not that I think the Mustang isn't plenty expensive... the last brand new Mustang I bought was a 1991 LX 5.0L with a sticker price of just over 17k. today, the V6 cost 5k more and while it runs even better when each is stock, the '91 quickly lays waste to that upon modifications(which were also cheap). I was also able to haggle when I got the 91. I paid WELL under 17. Can't do that today. Salesman seem to think if they don't get at least sticker, they'll be eating beans & rice cooked over camp fire due to having lost their own home... I visited a dealership just yesterday and I'll just say, it wasn't the most pleasing experience. For starters, I hadn't even PARKED and a salesman was flagging me down... The Chevy dealership was EXACTLY the same, I must admit.

How a 300 felt like a truck, I will not likely ever know... Flat tires? Idonno... I do know they are some of the most incredibly comfortable cars money can buy in America these days. I'm NO fan of Chrysler, but one thing they are is comfortable, even if not reliable. I won't buy one myself, but some are jaw-droppingly gorgeous and many are quite comfortable for driver and passengers.
Old 2/15/12, 02:15 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Was that Cobra 4.6 generally the first US production V8 with DOHC?
The 2nd gen ZR1 with its 5.7 DOHC LT5 predates Ford's DOHC mod motors by a few years (introduced in 1990). IIRC it prouced 400 or so hp in its final iteration. The LT5 was a precursor of sorts for Cadillac's Northstar V8s. The Northstar also predates Ford's 4 cam MOD motors by about a year as well.

However, Ford is the only domestic manufacturer to commit fully to OHC engines across the board.
Old 2/15/12, 04:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think this year 2013s will outsell camaros
Old 2/16/12, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by bob
The 2nd gen ZR1 with its 5.7 DOHC LT5 predates Ford's DOHC mod motors by a few years (introduced in 1990). IIRC it prouced 400 or so hp in its final iteration. The LT5 was a precursor of sorts for Cadillac's Northstar V8s. The Northstar also predates Ford's 4 cam MOD motors by about a year as well.

However, Ford is the only domestic manufacturer to commit fully to OHC engines across the board.
That 90-95 ZR1 was indeed a DOHC engine, but it wasn't really a US production V8, as Lotus predominantly designed, developed and tested it and Mercury Marine built it for GM, apparently by hand. At least they put it together in America.

It still qualifies for "before the Ford 4.6 DOHC," which first appeared in 1992, under the hood of the 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII.

The Northstar hit the streets in late 1992, just like the Mark VIII. Cadillac began that design in the middle 1980's(so they claim), due to the failure of its then current line of V8's(and smaller engines, for that matter). It seems as though.... Cadillac will drop their 4.6L altogether. More like, they already have, actually. It's only in 2 versions now, and neither is in a 2012 car(2011 DTS). I wonder if they'll be dropping their full size cars entirely, or switching everything over to the LQ or LS series engines... or V6 engines! The STS is almost as big as the DTS, so maybe that's their new direction, dropping the really big in favor of the semi-big. The STS only gets a (3.6L)V6 though, which happens to be more powerful than the 4.6 anyway. I'm sure it lacks a bit torque. That's about enough about GM stuff for now.
Old 2/17/12, 08:56 AM
V6 Member

Camaro has started to outsell Mustang since Ford stopped making them in bright yellow or bright orange. It's not the sheer sales numbers of those colors that make the difference, but the fact that they are attention hogging billboards on wheels. Wherever they go they grab everyone's attention. Ford is seriously stupid not to offer screaming yellow or grabber orange on regular Mustangs anymore.

Last edited by Ericc B; 2/17/12 at 08:57 AM.
Old 2/17/12, 09:13 AM
V6 Member

Wait... you are saying that Ford should make colors people want? That is the craziest **** thing I have ever heard. Ford will continue to make color choices based on focus groups and will not change colors just to drum up sales. Sure tons of people would buy a SBY V6, but Ford shall not surrender to the majority! They make their own decisions, public be damned.
Old 2/17/12, 11:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by R1V3R5
Wait... you are saying that Ford should make colors people want? That is the craziest **** thing I have ever heard. Ford will continue to make color choices based on focus groups and will not change colors just to drum up sales. Sure tons of people would buy a SBY V6, but Ford shall not surrender to the majority! They make their own decisions, public be damned.
I'm sure they wouldn't have stopped offering colors like orange or yellow if those were the ones that were selling the most. If they stopped offering those colors on certain models it was because those weren't selling well enough, they wouldn't just randomly decide to stop offering colors that "everyone wanted".
Old 2/17/12, 12:11 PM
V6 Member

I am just being a drama queen. It would be cool if certain colors were not Boss exclusive though.

Although I do love race red and grabber blue, and those are available on the V6 and GT.
Old 2/17/12, 02:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
From what I have seen, most Boss 302 Mustangs were sold with the competition orange paint. Now, why would Ford drop competition orange paint ? Why does Ford not offer CO on all Mustangs ? The color of a cars paint does increase sales.
Old 2/19/12, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
The color of a cars paint does increase sales.
Yep, which COMPLETELY explains why "white" is the most popular color among automobiles nationwide. EVERYBODY wants white!
Old 2/19/12, 07:36 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by It'llrun
Yep, which COMPLETELY explains why "white" is the most popular color among automobiles nationwide. EVERYBODY wants white!
White isn't a color
Old 2/20/12, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
White isn't a color
Tell it to the mass of manufacturers who list "white" as a COLOR " for so many models," not me. Black and white are considered neutral, but the makers call them colors in brochure after brochure.