2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

It's refreshing...

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/12, 10:30 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's refreshing...

It's good to see our Mustangs are built good enough that all we have to complain about is sun visor stickers, rear license plates, and if we drive the car during a rain shower. The last few weeks have brought up some posts that I thought of as "why are these even being posted?"

Then I realized that it's the quality of the car. On an F150 forum I frequent, there are lots of complaints, and valid too. Spark plug issues, cam phaser noise (early pre-2006 models). Here, I don't see many engine/drivetrain complaints.

Good to see.

Last edited by Bucko; 8/27/12 at 10:50 AM.
Old 8/27/12, 11:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucko
It's good to see our Mustangs are built good enough that all we have to complain about is sun visor stickers, rear license plates, and if we drive the car during a rain shower. The last few weeks have brought up some posts that I thought of as "why are these even being posted?"

Then I realized that it's the quality of the car. On an F150 forum I frequent, there are lots of complaints, and valid too. Spark plug issues, cam phaser noise (early pre-2006 models). Here, I don't see many engine/drivetrain complaints.

Good to see.
Look in the warranty issues sub forum, that's where you'll find the bad stuff. People talk so bad about the mt-82 manual transmission that I'm actually a bit scared of mine now since this will be my first manual car.
Old 8/27/12, 11:55 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
90% of the crying is people that do not know how to use this type of trans. Its not like the old easy to use tremec but it's a good unit
Old 8/27/12, 12:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
90% of the crying is people that do not know how to use this type of trans. Its not like the old easy to use tremec but it's a good unit
I am beginning to believe this is the case. I currently have over 2k miles on mine so far and it refuses to act up on me- no grinds, no misshifts, no lockouts. I love it.
Old 8/27/12, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Exactly. This isnt same old tried and true Borg Warner t45, I'd spend time really paying attention to my hand and shifter and getting to know the very narrow shift gates.
Old 8/27/12, 12:23 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 8/27/12, 01:25 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We went through this in 2011 when the sky was falling in regards to the MT-82. Now, you barely hear issues with them. Keep in mind, enthusiast sites like this magnify problems more than normal.
Old 8/27/12, 10:38 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
We went through this in 2011 when the sky was falling in regards to the MT-82. Now, you barely hear issues with them. Keep in mind, enthusiast sites like this magnify problems more than normal.
it makes those new (like me) wonder if there are problems.... I know I have the normal issues of driving a manual, I've had them for the last 25 years, I'm not perfect, but my car never skip shifts, always goes into gear, and is the best manual transmission I've ever driven. I think most people are not used to driving a manual with 400+ horses, it took me some time to get used to it as I've never owned a manual v8 before.

I love the transmission, I love the car, I think my 13 is the *****. I'll pay this off and buy another mustang, I'm gonna be a collector :P
Old 8/27/12, 11:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Xar
it makes those new (like me) wonder if there are problems.... I know I have the normal issues of driving a manual, I've had them for the last 25 years, I'm not perfect, but my car never skip shifts, always goes into gear, and is the best manual transmission I've ever driven. I think most people are not used to driving a manual with 400+ horses, it took me some time to get used to it as I've never owned a manual v8 before.

I love the transmission, I love the car, I think my 13 is the *****. I'll pay this off and buy another mustang, I'm gonna be a collector :P
This clutch/transmission does have a lockout problem at high RPM's. Even ford ever so slightly acknowledges it in their report to the NHTSA. It's not imaginary. Read their report. You'll see that they admit to a high RPM problem. But they pretty much sweep it away as not a problem for the average driver who never really pushes the car very hard.
Old 8/28/12, 02:33 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by db2797
This clutch/transmission does have a lockout problem at high RPM's. Even ford ever so slightly acknowledges it in their report to the NHTSA. It's not imaginary. Read their report. You'll see that they admit to a high RPM problem. But they pretty much sweep it away as not a problem for the average driver who never really pushes the car very hard.
maybe it wasnt a big issue because this isnt a race car and thats not normal operation of a street car. Want a race ready stang.. open up that wallet
Old 8/28/12, 02:43 AM
Cobra R Member

maybe it wasnt a big issue because this isnt a race car and thats not normal operation of a street car. Want a race ready stang.. open up that wallet
True in most cases, but the Boss is made for high RPM shifts. I corrected mine with shifter.
In most cases its the shifter for high RPM lockout.
I have read about pressure plate, pedals, return springs? LOL
Old 8/28/12, 04:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

What's the track pack for? To look pretty in the garage?
Old 8/28/12, 05:55 AM
Cobra Member

It's for guys like me who always buy used. I look for those "garage queen vehicles", buy them, then drive off, hopefully while its raining...
Old 8/28/12, 09:50 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
You don't honestly think that makes a GT race-ready...do you?
Old 8/28/12, 10:08 AM
GT Member

I ordered the track pack for the torsen limited slip differential. I've had too many RWD vehicles w/o limited slip, and tired of that inside wheel just spinning and not able to accelerate out of a turn.
The Brembo brakes are a welcome perk , so is the extra coolers.
Old 8/28/12, 11:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
You don't honestly think that makes a GT race-ready...do you?
About as much as I think revving it up to 6700 rpm's and expecting it to shift consistently. Or do only race cars shift consistently?
Old 8/28/12, 11:49 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well....at just over 15,000 on my '11 GT/CS manual...(built 6/25/10, purchased 11/30/10)...the car shifts great. I have the opportunity to test the high speed shifting as I leave my house area....never any issues at all. Usually test up to 5th gear at least twice a week......such fun. Car is stock except for mufflers
Old 8/28/12, 12:58 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

About as much as I think revving it up to 6700 rpm's and expecting it to shift consistently. Or do only race cars shift consistently?
my car has never had the issue and I tested it a couple time with the manager at my dealer on the back lot.
Old 8/28/12, 01:02 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

has this happened to you?
Old 8/28/12, 01:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I recall correctly wasn't a poster that just like Flagstang kept saying there was nothing wrong with this transmission, people don't know how drive, best transmission ever, smooth a butter even after 20k miles, overreacting, etc... Then a few weeks ago posted he was having problem with his MT82 and pretty much was complaining about the same thing. Can't remember the name right now. I'll see if I can find the post. But moral of the story. Just because you don't have a problem with you car doesn't mean everybody else is wrong or stupid and that your car won't develop the same problems. I'm pretty sure I can find a Yugo owner that never had problem with his car, does that means Yugo is a reliable car?