2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 9/19/11, 11:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake Manifold

Does anybody know if any companies are currently developing an intake manifold for the 5.0?

I have the boss now and I am not exactly impressed, I googled a little bit but so much Boss stuff pops up I couldn't find if Edelbrock or BBK or anybody had one in the works.

I sure hope they do, I feel like something can be designed that doesn't give up so much down low and still has nice gains up to around 7,200 (redline for most GT's with just a tune) rather than past 7,500 where most people don't want to rev a non Boss 5.0.

Maybe I just need to quit crying and get a dyno tune lol
Old 9/20/11, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Lol your last sentence is funny.

In my opinion, the Boss intake is an amazing piece of equipment. Does great work. If you're looking for more low end torque then you could upgrade the cams or get your heads ported or both! MMR will port your heads to stage 3 specs for under $1K plus its a 45HP gain which is always nice. Also, your heads would outflow the Boss and even the Shelby I believe. I know cams are kind of expensive but well worth it in the low end torque range. Check out CompCams.
Old 9/20/11, 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C&L says no, they can't compete with the Ford part's cost.
Old 9/20/11, 07:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blackgt87
I feel like something can be designed that doesn't give up so much down low and still has nice gains up to around 7,200 (redline for most GT's with just a tune) rather than past 7,500 where most people don't want to rev a non Boss 5.0.
Something has been designed to give that, it's called a blower
Old 9/21/11, 04:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Maybe I just need to quit crying and get a dyno tune lol
Are you running a Boss Intake on the stock Ford Tune....

You really need to run a Tune with the Boss Intake to realize any sort of gain. Steeda has claimed their Boss Intake Tune can compensate for most of the low-end torque loss, and has significant power gains starting around 5500rpm through 7200rpm.

http://www.steeda.com/store/boss-mustang-power-pak.html

Last edited by kn7671; 9/21/11 at 04:55 AM.
Old 9/21/11, 06:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kn7671
Are you running a Boss Intake on the stock Ford Tune....

You really need to run a Tune with the Boss Intake to realize any sort of gain. Steeda has claimed their Boss Intake Tune can compensate for most of the low-end torque loss, and has significant power gains starting around 5500rpm through 7200rpm.

http://www.steeda.com/store/boss-mustang-power-pak.html
I am running a mail order tune, I was referring to an actual dyno tune.

I have yet to see a tune where the increase in power gains makes up for the loss in midrange.

My cats should be deleted today, if this doesn't allow the car to breathe and pick way up I will have a boss intake for sale.
Old 9/21/11, 06:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Switching to no cat's you will loose low end torque, but you will gain power in the high end.
Old 9/21/11, 07:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Here is a quote from JJ from WMS tuning who runs one on his car on the gains of the Boss Intake

"Pretty much none below 5k rpms and some tq loss below 4k but the gains up top were amazing. 42hp at 7000rpms mostly because the stocker was falling off power and it keeps making power. I shift at 7800 and its pulling hard. Its never below 5k in between shifts. Tq gains up top were also good and we have been very happy with how its running."
Old 9/21/11, 07:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
Here is a quote from JJ from WMS tuning who runs one on his car on the gains of the Boss Intake

"Pretty much none below 5k rpms and some tq loss below 4k but the gains up top were amazing. 42hp at 7000rpms mostly because the stocker was falling off power and it keeps making power. I shift at 7800 and its pulling hard. Its never below 5k in between shifts. Tq gains up top were also good and we have been very happy with how its running."
Either there's something wrong with my car, or these people are lying.

I lost a tenth and had the same mph in colder air after switching to the boss intake. I have tried 3 different tunes (Bama, Steeda, AED) and my car still has a stumble when I shift it (which is probably costing me tenths), never did it with the stock intake...
Old 9/21/11, 08:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Here is JJ's mods and times

The results on our car speak for themselves.

11.12@122mph is our best time so far. The car has gone a best of 123mph. Here is the short list of mods.

Dynatech LT's, no cat mids
Pypese 3 inch supersystem
Boss intake
JLT CAI
Mcleod RST clutch
Metco LCA's with relocation brackets
Alum one piece DS
Stock 3:73 gears with true trac diff

Stock shock, springs, struts.

Racestar 15x10's on the rear with 28x10.5x15
Racestar 17x4's

Race weight of 3550 with driver.

Tq reduction was on in those runs and we are shooting for better times soon.
Old 9/21/11, 09:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Here is JJ's mods and times

The results on our car speak for themselves.

11.12@122mph is our best time so far. The car has gone a best of 123mph. Here is the short list of mods.

Dynatech LT's, no cat mids
Pypese 3 inch supersystem
Boss intake
JLT CAI
Mcleod RST clutch
Metco LCA's with relocation brackets
Alum one piece DS
Stock 3:73 gears with true trac diff

Stock shock, springs, struts.

Racestar 15x10's on the rear with 28x10.5x15
Racestar 17x4's

Race weight of 3550 with driver.

Tq reduction was on in those runs and we are shooting for better times soon.
WTF does that have to do with the boss manifold making MY car faster in the 1/4 mile?

Nothing. That's what.
Old 9/21/11, 09:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Are you shifting at 7800? Most are gaining a good tenth or so. Maybe there is something wrong with your MAF curve. Something is not right, I know others have a JLT , Boss intake and AED tune and the car runs strong?
Old 9/21/11, 09:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Are you shifting at 7800? Most are gaining a good tenth or so. Maybe there is something wrong with your MAF curve. Something is not right, I know others have a JLT , Boss intake and AED tune and the car runs strong?
I was shifting at 7600, and honestly to lose all that midrange for a tenth? Not worth it. Maybe on your car or a track only car but not mine. I was willing to trade SOME streetability and midrange away for "big" power gains up top, but thats not the case. This thing can't even make up for the midrange it loses with the "increased" power up top. I guess I got confused when i was told 50+whp after 7,000 rpm. I figured that kinda power increase for ~600 rpm then being ~600 rpm higher in the next gear after shifting would be worth a little more than a tenth. I have proof this intake manifold on a car with stock exhaust will net you a worse 1/4 mile ET. Although there is no denying that the shift stumble is hurting the ET.

Shaun said my car was the first he has seen do this, and we both believe it is in the MAF curve. The one Steeda tune I got had a MAF curve for a steeda CAI by mistake and this buzz/lag between shifts was MUCH worse. As bad as the AED tune. I might try to work with Steeda to get the stumble taken out all the way. But more than likely I will just put the stock manifold back on. I'm willing to bet with just tires,cai,tune,x pipe this car will go 12.0's. What more can you ask for?
Old 9/22/11, 04:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

What are you launching at? If you are not launching at 6K with the Boss you are going to bog.
Old 9/22/11, 05:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Either there's something wrong with my car, or these people are lying.

I lost a tenth and had the same mph in colder air after switching to the boss intake. I have tried 3 different tunes (Bama, Steeda, AED) and my car still has a stumble when I shift it (which is probably costing me tenths), never did it with the stock intake...
Question for you:

Are you just turning of the traction control off, or holding for 10 seconds disabling the Advance Trac system?

Last edited by 05-1947; 9/22/11 at 05:09 AM.
Old 9/22/11, 07:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

What are you launching at? If you are not launching at 6K with the Boss you are going to bog.
False.

That is such a narrow minded statement. There is NO way for you to know what the optimum launch RPM of a car is based only on the intake manifold. Tire size, tire compound, air pressure, gearing, vehicle weight, suspension, and track prep are all factors that play into where you need to launch the car.

I'm really sorry you guys are used to morons posting stuff, and it makes people like me who don't explain every little detail look sketchy.

The two passes I am referring to had near identical 60' times (1.73 and 1.74) so traction or bogging was not the reason for lost time. I am comparing two otherwise even passes, except the DA on the night I ran with the Boss intake was about 2000' less than when I ran with the stocker. Which makes the losses even worse. BTW my optimum launch RPM was about 5300.

Originally Posted by 05-1947
Question for you:

Are you just turning of the traction control off, or holding for 10 seconds disabling the Advance Trac system?
Holding for 10 seconds to disable advancetrac.
Old 9/22/11, 08:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Holding for 10 seconds to disable advancetrac.
Just checking. I did not do this when I went to the track and could not understand why I was getting a bog/pause after 2nd & 3rd. I only disabled the TC.
Old 9/22/11, 08:09 AM
3rd Times A Charm

You have officially shown that you have no freaking clue what you are talking about!

You either quote posts from tuners, or you post ridiculous stuff like this!

For the sake of your reputation, get off of the Internet boards and just enjoy your car.

If you must visit the boards, don't post, just lurk.

Seriously!

I'm trying to say it as nice as possible, but you have done nothing but spread stupid "facts" about these cars. You've proven yet again that you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to these cars. More than likely, cars in general. Stop posting! Please!
Old 9/22/11, 09:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05-1947
Just checking. I did not do this when I went to the track and could not understand why I was getting a bog/pause after 2nd & 3rd. I only disabled the TC.
Yeah my car will shut down hard when I shift to 5th at WOT if I only have TC off and not advancetrac off.

The hesitation my car is doing is something in the tune. It did not do it with the stock intake.

Originally Posted by S197 GT
You have officially shown that you have no freaking clue what you are talking about!

You either quote posts from tuners, or you post ridiculous stuff like this!

For the sake of your reputation, get off of the Internet boards and just enjoy your car.

If you must visit the boards, don't post, just lurk.

Seriously!

I'm trying to say it as nice as possible, but you have done nothing but spread stupid "facts" about these cars. You've proven yet again that you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to these cars. More than likely, cars in general. Stop posting! Please!
THIS