2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Improving '11+ GT Suspension - And keeping warranty

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/10, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Improving '11+ GT Suspension - And keeping warranty

For 2011 GT/Brembo package cars, what is the warranty-safe and CORRECT way to improve the suspension with the following goals in mind:

a) Minimum 1" drop, eliminating wheel gap as much as possible while maintaining a slight rake (no "bottomed out look")

b) Make the car handle as similar to a BMW M3 as possible. This means fast damper rebounding and a ride that is not overly stiff yet communicates as much as possible to the driver.

c) Daily driver - car will never see the track.

d) Maintain Ford warranty, if possible.

I would like to be able to drive my car into a Ford dealership and have them perform all the work if possible. I am pretty certain that my goals will require springs, panhard bar, and shocks. I don't require the ability to adjust the shocks. I do not want to spend more than is necessary but I also want to do it *RIGHT*.

SO.....Sam Strano? Anyone else care to chime in? I would like to start a serious discussion about this that we can build up over time so people know what they're getting into before they start slamming their cars on cheapo springs.
Old 9/18/10, 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Subscribing. Interested what people say here, this is next years upgrades for me too.
Old 9/18/10, 11:07 AM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since I'm new to Mustangs and mods, I'd love to hear from knowledgeable people.

a) b) c) fit my situation exactly, and I'd like d) too if "reasonable" (ie not "way more money for way less product")

Shotzy installed a FRPP handling pack and said that handling was greatly improved.
Has a nice 1" drop. Might be the best solution to cover your a-d requirements?

https://themustangsource.com/f726/gr...g-pack-487391/
Old 9/18/10, 11:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

FRPP handling pack is the way to go. If a dealer installs it you will keep your warranty, it has a 1" drop, and makes it handle much better.
Old 9/18/10, 12:11 PM
GTR Member

Modifications do not automatically void your warranty.

According to the magazine tests, the brembo cars already hold the advantage over the M3 with the only exception being shock rates so install some Koni's and the FRPP 1" drop springs and you should get what you are looking for. The warranty on the shocks and springs will be with the manufacturer of each, on their own, seperate from the car warranty and wouldn't affect the original car warranty.
Old 9/18/10, 01:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

One of the The FRPP handling Pak's seems to meet your needs here given your Focus on Warranty and Dealer install. It won' be the absolute best or cheapest but it will do pretty much what you want. Do you even have a car yet? My advice is to drive it a bit before you make those decisions.
Old 9/18/10, 01:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Steeda Sport springs w/ Koni Sports. (or get the Roush Track Pack coilover kit)
Eibach swaybars & bushings.

Edit: Did not see the "keeping warranty" bit.

FRPP handling pack installed by dealer. Did this on my 06. Worked great. The suspension will be out-of-warranty by the time that stuff wears out, you can step up to some more serious stuff after that if you feel the need.

Last edited by 06GT; 9/18/10 at 05:23 PM.
Old 9/18/10, 03:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Koni shocks/struts, new swaybars, panhard bar, and whatever springs meet your criteria, although just the Koni Sports will get you most of the way there, but no drop. Call Sam Strano fr his input.
Old 9/18/10, 10:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Skullbussa
For 2011 GT/Brembo package cars, what is the warranty-safe and CORRECT way to improve the suspension with the following goals in mind:

a) Minimum 1" drop, eliminating wheel gap as much as possible while maintaining a slight rake (no "bottomed out look")

b) Make the car handle as similar to a BMW M3 as possible. This means fast damper rebounding and a ride that is not overly stiff yet communicates as much as possible to the driver.

c) Daily driver - car will never see the track.

d) Maintain Ford warranty, if possible.

I would like to be able to drive my car into a Ford dealership and have them perform all the work if possible. I am pretty certain that my goals will require springs, panhard bar, and shocks. I don't require the ability to adjust the shocks. I do not want to spend more than is necessary but I also want to do it *RIGHT*.

SO.....Sam Strano? Anyone else care to chime in? I would like to start a serious discussion about this that we can build up over time so people know what they're getting into before they start slamming their cars on cheapo springs.
"Shotzy" had Rehagen Racing (send Shaun a PM - I can't recall his alias, but just look for a Rehagen Racing thread) install the FRPP handling pack on his 2011 'vert and he has told me he thinks it now handles as good or better than the 2006 M3 he used to own. He drives into Manhattan regularly and said that while the ride is firmer it's still very comfortable. I believe all warranty aspects are preserved since Rehagen is FRPP-authorized. Sounds like exactly what you are seeking.

DO a search on Shotzy's posts for more info.
Old 9/18/10, 10:56 PM

The FRPP handling pack sounds like a good bet. I do want to maintain Ford warranty on my suspension parts but not if I am seriously compromising. In other words, if there is a much better solution for the same dollar that might not be as warranty-friendly, I'd love to hear about it.

Otherwise I'm going to order this kit on Monday. I just took delivery of my car today and I love it - but this suspension is just far too floaty and vague for my tastes. And the wheel gap....eeegads!
Old 9/18/10, 11:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm in the same boat... a through c applies to me as well... but I was planning of getting the Steeda UltraLites or Sport springs installed with an Adjustable Panhard Bar. The drop will not be dramatic, getting rid of the wheel gap and Steeda will stand behind their products 100% due to the partnership with Ford.

I think I'm going Steeda on mine...
Old 9/19/10, 07:14 AM

Get the FRPP kit from CDC if they still have it. Springs, struts, shocks (made by Dynamic, btw)and a sway bar for $350... can't beat that. You'll need the 05-09 tower mounts ($30 each-ish) as well. I'd like to hear how this mod could effect the warranty on any other parts....

Old 9/19/10, 07:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by carnut
Get the FRPP kit from CDC if they still have it. Springs, struts, shocks (made by Dynamic, btw)and a sway bar for $350... can't beat that. You'll need the 05-09 tower mounts ($30 each-ish) as well. I'd like to hear how this mod could effect the warranty on any other parts....

carnut, what axle back did you get?
and can you post a pic of your car
Old 9/19/10, 07:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those are Corsa's
Old 9/19/10, 02:45 PM

Righto. I'll be happy to post a pick after I pick it up... (might be Monday).
Old 9/19/10, 02:46 PM
Cobra R Member

So what warranty is everyone afraid of voiding? Changing suspension isn't going to affect the majority of your warranty, you'll still have engine and powertrain, etc. I think many folks feel that any mod voids all your warranty, the manufacturer has to prove what you did caused the failure. People seem to worry too much.
Old 9/19/10, 02:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Does anyone thinking putting different tires on your car will void the warranty of your car? If they aren't tires supplied by Ford than they should, at least according to the fears expressed by so many.
Old 9/19/10, 02:53 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ford will not warranty any parts you change and they will not warranty anything affected by the aftermarket parts
Old 9/19/10, 03:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
ford will not warranty any parts you change and they will not warranty anything affected by the aftermarket parts
That's not totally true. Adding a CAI (for example) does not void the warranty on your engine unless Ford can show that the mod was the reason for the engine failure/problem.
Old 9/19/10, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Whammer
Does anyone thinking putting different tires on your car will void the warranty of your car? If they aren't tires supplied by Ford than they should, at least according to the fears expressed by so many.
Tires and other consumables like brake pads, wiper blades, etc are not warrantied items anyway so Ford could care less what we use.

Putting in ill-designed suspension bits could conceivably put additional wear/tear on the other factory suspension components (not saying it's likely, but it is possible).

I have fought hard in the past against other car manufacturers on warranty issues due to aftermarket parts. I was young and stupid to fight. Because you cannot and you WILL not win that battle with these guys. If you cannot afford to pay for a whole new Ford engine, you shouldn't be running an aftermarket tune. People are far too cavalier about mods, in my opinion. And because I don't want to be responsible for laying out a few grand in cash to fix some damaged control arms, bushings, etc I want a factory-approved suspension kit.

Quick Reply: Improving '11+ GT Suspension - And keeping warranty