Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

If you've ever wondered 'what if'...

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/13, 02:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you've ever wondered 'what if'...

... as in, 'what if I was parked much too closely to a solidly upright pole... mistakenly put the car in REVERSE instead of 1st... and then cut the wheels before taking off and realizing I was in reverse... what might happen'?

Well what would happen is the unyielding pole will firmly impact the quarter panel. And then, depending on whether or not you were to PANIC (as I did), it will then catch the edge of the front fascia and RIP THE fascia and grille OFF THE CAR. Breaking every possible piece of plastic that holds everything together. Jeezus.

By the time got my head outta my *** and STOPPED, the fascia was hanging by one screw at the drivers front corner. Jeezus. I wanted to puke. Still do.

Interesting to see what State Farm does to me next renewal. This will be my first claim in like 18 years (and that one wasn't my fault). I almost wish someone had clobbered me instead. It was such a completely bonehead thing that you couldn't even DREAM it.

Buddy of mine turned into a post at a gas pump one time and I had quite the laugh over the story. It's not so funny anymore.

I still fee like a complete IDIOT... but already shifting gears into worry mode over whether or not they'll be able to match/blend the lava red.
Old 5/10/13, 02:15 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh ****!!! Pics?
Old 5/10/13, 02:15 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 5/10/13, 02:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Mines at the body shop right now as well, hoping the GHIG gets matched spot on. I would think your insurance will take care of you If you haven't had a claim in that long. Good luck with it all, I know how it is, I've been sick to my stomach knowing my stang is outside wrecked even though It wasn't even my fault and is being paid for. But your situation will be all be resolved soon
Old 5/10/13, 02:32 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Wow! That is sickening.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how you could have possibly hit the quarter panel, and then the whole front end as well without stopping. How did you miss the door and fender but catch the front end?

And I fear that you're going to have serious problems with the Lava paint getting matched up.
Old 5/10/13, 02:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pics required
Old 5/10/13, 02:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Well, on a good note, you'll NEVER EVER EVER go into reverse accidentally again

Sorry for the accident, it sounds like the time I cut the wheel too fast on my first car while backing out of my parent's garage and bashed into the garage so hard it stopped me dead in my tracks. Garage was amazingly left with minimal damage. Not so lucky on for the car... I never have backed out of a garage quickly again (and that was like 13ish years ago)
Old 5/10/13, 03:32 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by wannabe

Buddy of mine turned into a post at a gas pump one time and I had quite the laugh over the story. It's not so funny anymore.

I still fee like a complete IDIOT... but already shifting gears into worry mode over whether or not they'll be able to match/blend the lava red.
Oh man have I done this before, so I know your pain. That said I was only 17 at the time so I think that's a good enough excuse...
Old 5/10/13, 03:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Ouch....sorry to hear. Don't worry, I am evidence that you are not the only one that can get out of hand sometimes. Good luck with the insurance.
Old 5/10/13, 06:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Wow! That is sickening.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how you could have possibly hit the quarter panel, and then the whole front end as well without stopping. How did you miss the door and fender but catch the front end?

And I fear that you're going to have serious problems with the Lava paint getting matched up.
Yeah... like I said, you couldn't even think of how to do it on purpose.

I'm calling the front side a quarter panel... maybe that's wrong?

Anyhoo, I was parked and the pole was probably just in front of the mirror. I had the wheels cut to the left, so when I backed up the front quarter was into the pole, right about the middle of the wheel well. And caught the fascia. And I freaked out like a spazoid teenager in a bad movie taking a driving test and didn't stop until it was over. I still can't really believe it happened to me.
Old 5/10/13, 07:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Thats why I LOVE my back up cam!!!!!! Even if they do an excellent job paint matching, YOU'LL know and you will look hard trying to see if you can see the flaws. I had my Kona blue hood dented and found a donor hood but in red. The paint shop did an excellent job matching BUT If i look hard i can see ( mybe it's just me) a slight color variation. No one else sees it. LOL
Old 5/11/13, 02:24 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by wannabe
Yeah... like I said, you couldn't even think of how to do it on purpose.

I'm calling the front side a quarter panel... maybe that's wrong?

Anyhoo, I was parked and the pole was probably just in front of the mirror. I had the wheels cut to the left, so when I backed up the front quarter was into the pole, right about the middle of the wheel well. And caught the fascia. And I freaked out like a spazoid teenager in a bad movie taking a driving test and didn't stop until it was over. I still can't really believe it happened to me.
Ohh, I take it you mean the fender. A quarter panel is over the rear wheel, sorry, I was confused about that. You meant the front fender and the front clip/bumper. I was wondering how you hit the quarter panel and the front end without tearing up the door as well.

Sorry about that, I was confused. Need pics of the damage if you have them.
Old 5/11/13, 06:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Ohh, I take it you mean the fender. A quarter panel is over the rear wheel, sorry, I was confused about that. You meant the front fender and the front clip/bumper. I was wondering how you hit the quarter panel and the front end without tearing up the door as well.

Sorry about that, I was confused. Need pics of the damage if you have them.
I guess I always thought 'quarter panel' had some connection to four parts.
Old 5/11/13, 04:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Get some pics up so we can see.
Old 5/12/13, 08:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Oh ok fender. This whole time reading the thread I'm wondering how can one panic so much as to scrape the whole length of the car? But now its more believeable. Sorry to hear! We learn from our mistakes. Curious to see pics too
Old 5/12/13, 12:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
well if your not going to post pics of said damage at least post a picture of the pole
Old 5/13/13, 04:37 AM
Cobra Member

Not sure I would have admitted to doing this. There are some things I do that I just keep to myself.
Old 5/13/13, 12:15 PM
GT Member

Man...a couple weeks ago I would've scoffed at the notion of mistakenly putting the car into reverse.

Since I put a ball shift **** in though I have done it twice!
Luckily I haven't hit anything!

Hope your car gets fixed properly without too bad of an insurance hike!
Old 5/14/13, 04:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Don't feel bad, I've done it a ton of times, especially when my MGW shifter was new. Luckily I've never hit anything. I usually go easy anyway so that's probably why.

The other day someone was backing up right towards my car. When I noticed them I went to put it in reverse quickly. Well of course I ended up being in first, and i wasnt so easy taking off that time. Talk about close call lol

Good luck with everything. I'd be freaking out too, but don't drive yourself nuts over something you have no control over. When its out check the car over and go from there.
Old 5/14/13, 10:29 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear that! I did the same thing as your buddy, except when I was leaving the gas station the stupid pole jump into the side of my previous truck! Stupid pole... Two of the side panels were severly dented and it shifted the bed to 1" offset.. Truck was never the same

Quick Reply: If you've ever wondered 'what if'...