2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

If you have 3.31 gears........

Search this Thread

Old 3/26/13, 06:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
Do tell me why I should change to 3.73s other than the fact that my car will turn into a living car.
Unless you are simply trying to get every last ounce of performance available from your 5.0, there is no reason to get 3.73's with the MT82 transmission.

Before changing gears, or any performance mod, you really should ask yourself what you want from your car. Decide how you use your car, how much you have to spend, what you could live with, etc...

Changing gears is not cheap change. The gear swap can also significantly change how your car drives, especially how much time you spend shifting gears. With 3.73+ gears, first gear with an MT82 is almost useless during normal driving, and will result in more tire spin too.
Old 3/26/13, 07:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by kn7671

Unless you are simply trying to get every last ounce of performance available from your 5.0, there is no reason to get 3.73's with the MT82 transmission.

Before changing gears, or any performance mod, you really should ask yourself what you want from your car. Decide how you use your car, how much you have to spend, what you could live with, etc...

Changing gears is not cheap change. The gear swap can also significantly change how your car drives, especially how much time you spend shifting gears. With 3.73+ gears, first gear with an MT82 is almost useless during normal driving, and will result in more tire spin too.
Not to mention the lower gas mileage, which doesn't matter to lots of guys on here but if it's a DD like mine is, it does.
Old 3/26/13, 09:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by modie
If you have 3.31 gears spend the money and get 3.73 gears, right now. My goodness what a waste the 3.31 gears were.
My car is alive. I had no idea what I was missing.
Just one more mod and then I will be done.....for now.
OP, it is rather presumptuous of you to issue a directive like this to owners of Mustangs with 3.31 rear ends. And it is only your opinion that 3.31's are "a waste"; you incorrectly assume that those of us who have opted for that ratio are somehow laboring under a misconception IRT the performance of our chosen ratio. We are probably as well informed as you are regarding performance issues (which entail more than just off-the-line acceleration), and have decided that the 3.31 is quite suitable for our driving styles. You prefer the 3.73? That's great... but it doesn't make you an oracle or anything. There is a reason Baskin-Robbins makes all those flavors of ice cream, and it's the same reason various differential ratios are available to car enthusiasts.
Old 3/26/13, 09:44 PM
Banned

My whole thought is why would anyone want to turn 1st gear into a totally useless gear? Unless you are heating up your tires at every light and are running slicks, I don't get it.

I think the gearing of the 3.31's is **** near perfect.
Old 3/26/13, 10:36 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruising at 80mph in 6th at 2k rpm is why I'm fine with the 3.31s. Mine is a DD
Old 3/27/13, 01:06 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I have the 3.73 gears that came in my car and 1st gear is usually useless unless I'm on a hill or catching someone off guard at a light.
Old 3/27/13, 02:04 AM

I could see the gearing to be worth it if your gaining 2-3mph in the 1/4 but this hasn't been the case. I 've ran a few with my 3.31 and the difference isn't significant. Too much of a hassle and loss of mpg for the gain.
Old 3/27/13, 04:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have the 3.55, and almost never use 1st. Also seldom use 4th, because under 'normal' conditions, it just feels like a 'longer' 3rd. So... 2-3-5-6 for me, 98% of the time.
Old 3/27/13, 04:30 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
Not to mention the lower gas mileage, which doesn't matter to lots of guys on here but if it's a DD like mine is, it does.
Amen.

Seams that whatever rear gear ratio folks go with, they defend it. So, decide what your driving preference is (off line acceleration, best gas mileage, race track, etc) and get the gear ration for that application.

Last edited by Bucko; 3/27/13 at 04:37 AM.
Old 3/27/13, 07:21 AM

Think the OP was speaking in terms of using the car as it was intended-a sports car. I have some big MT streets on mine and they hook; the 3.73's make for a lot of fun!

If you are looking to use your sports car as a commuter or hybrid, then yes, keep the 3.31's and don't be so harsh on the guy for expressing his recommendations.
Old 3/27/13, 07:32 AM
V6 Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Depwraith
Think the OP was speaking in terms of using the car as it was intended-a sports car. I have some big MT streets on mine and they hook; the 3.73's make for a lot of fun!

If you are looking to use your sports car as a commuter or hybrid, then yes, keep the 3.31's and don't be so harsh on the guy for expressing his recommendations.

Ya I completely agree. I definitely am glad I chose the 3.73 it makes the car feel so much more angry and powerful. Its complete preference though each has its own strengths and weakness. Like Diva said it eliminates first gear's usefulness but that's totally fine with me now I can say my car is so powerful first gear is gone in 1 second
Old 3/27/13, 07:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Well I have noticed that there is a noticeable more complaints about gear whine with 3:73 ratio. The set up is much more critical. I have 3:55's and they will be almost too tall when I go super charged.
Old 3/27/13, 07:51 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a very useful first gear, even with 4.56 gears. On the street I often start in second gear, but first is still used quite often. My car is a daily driver, but I drag race a lot at our local tracks, so the 4.56's work perfect for my car's intended use. IMO, 3.31's are not a proper gear for a musclecar. Much too mellow to match the high revving character of the Coyote 5.0L. But hey, that's just my opinion; take it or leave it.
Old 3/27/13, 04:48 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
My whole thought is why would anyone want to turn 1st gear into a totally useless gear? Unless you are heating up your tires at every light and are running slicks, I don't get it.

I think the gearing of the 3.31's is **** near perfect.
Diva, correct me if I am wrong, but don't brembo cars come only with 3.73's?
Old 3/27/13, 05:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by orpheus
Diva, correct me if I am wrong, but don't brembo cars come only with 3.73's?
I can haz convertible.
Old 3/27/13, 05:56 PM
Cobra Member

Yep, the Convertibles get stuck with the 3.31's, even with the Brembo package...

I had the 3.73's installed on my '06 'Vert (which had 3.31's stock as well) and it was awesome! Completely changed the car... It was still very drive-able around town, but a lot more fun when I was able to get on it a bit...

I am still on the fence on whether or not I'll go the same route as before, but this car pulls even harder with the 3.31's than my '06 did with the 3.73's!
Old 3/27/13, 06:39 PM
GT Member

Well I'll be dipped, I didn't realize that about the convertibles. (Btw Diva, I love your new wheels).
Old 3/27/13, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by dusman59
Well I have noticed that there is a noticeable more complaints about gear whine with 3:73 ratio. The set up is much more critical. I have 3:55's and they will be almost too tall when I go super charged.
If gears are installed correctly there won't be any whine. BTW, mine is blown and they aren't too tall.
Old 3/27/13, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mickstang
OP, it is rather presumptuous of you to issue a directive like this to owners of Mustangs with 3.31 rear ends. And it is only your opinion that 3.31's are "a waste"; you incorrectly assume that those of us who have opted for that ratio are somehow laboring under a misconception IRT the performance of our chosen ratio. We are probably as well informed as you are regarding performance issues (which entail more than just off-the-line acceleration), and have decided that the 3.31 is quite suitable for our driving styles. You prefer the 3.73? That's great... but it doesn't make you an oracle or anything. There is a reason Baskin-Robbins makes all those flavors of ice cream, and it's the same reason various differential ratios are available to car enthusiasts.

Well it wasn't meant to be "A DIRECTIVE" but rather a statement of enjoyment. Kind of like "You gotta go see that movie..." So, lighten up.
But back to my initial statement. My car is alive. Compared to the 3.73 the 3.3's1 made the car feel heavy. I did not realize that until I put the gears in.
And it's a V8, (I make this statement at the risk off offending some of you) who cares about mileage. If you need mileage buy an ecomony car not a muscle car.
Old 3/27/13, 11:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by orpheus
don't brembo cars come only with 3.73's?
No, '11-'14 Brembo GT's come standard with 3.31's, with an option for 3.55's or 3.73's in the manual transmission models. '13-'14 Brembo GT Automatics get 3.15's only.

Quick Reply: If you have 3.31 gears........