Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

I need help with reading the oil level on my 5.0?

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/11, 09:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GT
Hey Slidejob, How often do you change you mobil 1 in your 05 GT? I change it every 10k in my wife's Camery and my 4runner(with256,000 mi). Haven't decided how I'm going to do it on my 5.0 yet. I just changed it at 1,000 miles after seating the rings driving it like i stole it.

ttt
Old 5/30/11, 09:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GT
Hey Slidejob, How often do you change you mobil 1 in your 05 GT? I change it every 10k in my wife's Camery and my 4runner(with256,000 mi). Haven't decided how I'm going to do it on my 5.0 yet. I just changed it at 1,000 miles after seating the rings driving it like i stole it.
Every 7K I give my car a full service.

Oil, OF
Rotate tires
Bleed brakes
Inspect all wear items & under chassis for any needed repairs.
Car has been one of the best cars I have ever owned, real low maintenance.

You did the right thing changing the 5.0 at 1K, that is what I do on all my new cars. I plan on a 5.0 soon, I would most likely go 8K between changes as it has a higher capacity then the 4.6.

Last edited by slidejob; 5/30/11 at 09:49 PM.
Old 5/30/11, 09:42 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 622 Likes on 447 Posts
There's no way that car was full of oil when you bought it if you have added 2 quarts already and its still not on the stick. If it was full when you got it and has went down that much in that short of a time, it would have an obvious leak, or it would be smoking like a broken toaster.
Old 5/30/11, 09:57 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
What kind of noise did you hear? Oil problems will generally not make any noise until the loud clang just before the engine seizes up completely.

Under acceleration you may here a pinging or knocking noise that is usually caused by pre-ignition which can be resolved by running higher octane fuel. But if it's not too loud and only happens occasionally under heavy acceleration you can safely ignore it.
The ticking is the motor adapting to the lower octane than what the computer is tuned for but it goes away after a couple fill ups. Then everything is fine
Old 5/31/11, 12:01 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Leo93
The ticking is the motor adapting to the lower octane than what the computer is tuned for but it goes away after a couple fill ups. Then everything is fine
I disagree.
I have never heard that when changing octane - which I often do.
And mine has the Advanced Spark Ignition System that was carried forward to the 10,11,12 like the OP. The ECU reads it instantly and pulls timing accordingly. You never hear it or know it. If it took a few tanks you could easily have damage already.

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/31/11 at 12:06 AM.
Old 5/31/11, 04:01 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sam, the dealer will put Motorcraft 5w-20 syn. blend in it. I think a usual oil change at Village runs me around $40-45 IIRC.
Old 5/31/11, 06:00 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

I disagree.
I have never heard that when changing octane - which I often do.
And mine has the Advanced Spark Ignition System that was carried forward to the 10,11,12 like the OP. The ECU reads it instantly and pulls timing accordingly. You never hear it or know it. If it took a few tanks you could easily have damage already.
Well that's just what I've heard. Someone else on here was hearing a lil ticking sound after filling up with 87 octane but after a few fill-ups the tick went away. If I remember right he went to his dealer an that's what he said the problem was. (but then again how knowledgable are dealers these days) I'm new around here and not tryin to sound like a know-it-all but its just what I've read
Old 5/31/11, 07:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

I go 25k miles on my oil in my truck
The mustang is at 2500 miles and will be changing it at 3k which the break in period is about over. And since ford will give me a free one ill change the next one when it has about 8k on the odometer.

adding 2 qts of oil this early OP is nuts- that engine has a serious leak or burning problem- or it wasnt filled up properly from factory. ill be checking mine tonight just in case mine is low.
Old 5/31/11, 09:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Since I've had my car it consumed almost 3 quarts of oil. Now it seems to have stabilized at 7600 miles. Not too unusual but a bit high compared to what I'm used to.
Old 5/31/11, 10:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

I dropped all the oil out of it and put in some pennzoil 5-30 just for the 3 mile drive to the dealership. I'm at the dealership now. They said that it was probably was not filled up all the way. I asked them to put a full synthetic instead of a blend and they're doing that for me. On the paperwork I noticed "5 quarts" I told him it was 8. He said that they'll make the necessary adjustment and that I should sign anyway.

I heard my car start ( LT,x-pipe,cat backs) so I get up and watch as they're moving it over to the oils change area. 1 service guy was unable to put it up on the ramp and the other one did but it took way too long. I guess they're just being careful.

The estimate was around $50. The paperwork better say full synthetic 8 quarts or I'm not leaving. LOL.

I know the service guys here... They remember my last 10 Stang and were asking where my white stripe was.
Attached Images  
Old 5/31/11, 11:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry Off topic here.

This is a picture of my 10. I ordered my 12 to look just like it. Should I get the white stripe?

Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 5/31/11, 12:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Total: $69.30
Attached Images  
Old 5/31/11, 06:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Is Fords full synthetic any good?
Old 5/31/11, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

So this Amsoil was sub par?

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html

And your 4.6 failed why?
Cam position sensor is what was wrong with mine.
Old 5/31/11, 07:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by unas2k5
The noise I heard sounded like it came from the rear. I'm not sure.

The oil level is still right under or on that first hole after I put in 2 quarts. I don't understand.

When I first pull the dipstick after the car has been on I can see the oil. It's brown. As soon as I wipe it and dip again I don't really see any on there. It's low...still but why hasn't it grenades if it was that low?
Cam position sensor did I answer Charlie question. When I first bought my mustang there was quite a bit of cooked crap on the top of my head. Using Amsoil sso for 20k kms cleaned it up quite significantly and even turned the varnish a lighter brown colour. Is there anything else
Old 5/31/11, 07:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Betcha ya got the WRONG dip-stick. Check the part Number!!
Old 5/31/11, 07:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Everett

Cam position sensor is what was wrong with mine.
K. Ya it is. All the products we have discussed are good. I am at odds with mobil 1 simply because they advertised one thing,then changed their formulation without telling the customer. Then never changed the ad campaign. Mobil 1 lowered the quality of their product to compete with the competition but never told the customer. Then put their original formulation a new name and charge you more. I never said mobil 1 isn't good oil. I don't dig deception.
Old 5/31/11, 07:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Charlie. That Amsoil sample performed excellent. What exactly were you trying to show me
Old 5/31/11, 08:21 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Everett
Charlie. That Amsoil sample performed excellent. What exactly were you trying to show me
Not really. 5w-30 turning into maple syrup???

Re-read my post. I didn't knock it. Its the thickening that is crazy - esp when Ford specifies 5w-20 (I know your story about 5w-30). That's a big drop in fuel economy - and too thick of viscosity does not jive with cold starts. Esp where I live - moreso where you live.

And the Mobil 1 was on a new engine breaking in - whereas the engine was already loose and flushed when they ran the amsoil test.

OK - sensor explains the issue on reassembly - but why did your engine fail? I forgot.

*Amsoil is holding its own, except for viscosity. We've noted about about a 17% drop in fuel economy

*if only viscosity weren't so high! This stuff, which says 5W30 on the bottle, is now a middle 40 and is oozing its way toward 50! Bad news for engines that prefer thinner oil. Any connection to the fuel economy drop?

*Amsoil can last much longer than we initially thought possible. That is provided, of course, that you have no problem with the oil thickening way out of grade (many people don't, which is why we continued the test despite our own reservations about it now being a solid 40-weight oil).

*The main thing that stands out on this, our final Amsoil sample, is the ridiculous viscosity. This 5W30 oil has now thickened out to a 15W40 -- argue whether it matters if you like, but we believe engine builders spec an oil for a reason, and this oil is far, far thicker now than intended for the LS1. Switching to our flush Mobil 1 netted a nearly instant 10% improvement in fuel economy, and the engine runs a heckuva lot smoother too. To Amsoil's credit, wear metals remain in check, but we will soon see whether that was really thanks to the oil or just to engine break-in. We'll start posting detailed analysis in the coming weeks.
*Next up: is it true that Mobil 1 was handicapped by an engine still breaking in? We find out!

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/31/11 at 08:29 PM.
Old 5/31/11, 08:27 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by FLAstangx3
Betcha ya got the WRONG dip-stick. Check the part Number!!
Now there's an idea!

Quick Reply: I need help with reading the oil level on my 5.0?