The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   I did it...test drove the new S550, my thoughts compared to my 12 (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/i-did-test-drove-new-s550-my-thoughts-compared-my-12-a-535771/)

FromZto5 2/28/15 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by MJJ (Post 6902902)
It is all perspective. Ask a 03/04 cobra owner what he thinks of the S197 and he will tell you they are too refined.

What's up Sean? Long time. Very good point though. I have to agree with you there. However, being an S197 owner I still LOVE the 03/04 Cobras and would love to own one (i.e. Can I buy yours??? :)). I wouldn't mind going backwards in years. Something about what I test drove last week didn't sit too good with me.

We still cruising this spring? :)

KC3333 2/28/15 08:15 AM

Great review. I had a very similar experience test driving the 15 GT PP. My personal jury's still out. I do want to try the EB PP. After the drive, I got back into my '12 V6 PP and actually preferred my '12. My biggest issues:
- I really do need a rear seat. The 197's is the smallest I can go; the 550 is smaller
- While the 550 has a 'driver's' interior (very command and control-ish), it feels more closed in. Not Camaro-closed-in, but going in the wrong direction for me...
- I agree with statements like 'sports car/ vs. 'muscle car,' 'refined' vs. 'raw,' 'less hop' vs. 'more hop,' etc. I just found the 550 GT PP too floaty.
And while I admit I was coming from a '12 V6 (the Boss had just gone into storage, so I don't think I was too tainted), the '15 FELT way more heavy. It went right where I pointed it, nimbly enough, it just wasn't as fun getting there IMHO.

kylerohde 2/28/15 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by FromZto5 (Post 6901909)
P.s. For those of you that have also driven the new s550, what were your thoughts compared to the s197 you owned or drove? Same thoughts as mine? Different?

Rented one last week in Phoenix, here's my review: http://www.kylerohde.com/2015/02/27/...boost-premium/

The short verdict: I loved it.

FromZto5 3/1/15 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by kylerohde (Post 6903206)
Rented one last week in Phoenix, here's my review: http://www.kylerohde.com/2015/02/27/...boost-premium/ The short verdict: I loved it.

Way to go Kyle! You just had to throw a wrench in everything didn't ya? :). Kidding man. Let me read.

FromZto5 3/1/15 06:20 AM

Rented one last week in Phoenix, here's my review: http://www.kylerohde.com/2015/02/27/...boost-premium/ The short verdict: I loved it.

Kyle, fantastic review. Far more thought one than mine. I wrote mine with 2 kids jumping on me on our couch. Gone are the days of focus and solitude for writing, for me. Lol!

I loved your write up. Your opinions are definitely valid and each of us are entitled to. I might try driving one again and give it a more in depth test.

I had a couple comments though: the blank front end void of fog lights are only on the ecoboost and gt right? Doesn't the gt350 get fogs in those spots?

And the power torque down low you mention, I found the opposite is true. Low on power down low and very sluggish to respond, not till upper 3k rpm before things got somewhat exciting. Maybe I got a dud? :dunno:

kylerohde 3/1/15 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by FromZto5 (Post 6903256)
Kyle, fantastic review. Far more thought one than mine. I wrote mine with 2 kids jumping on me on our couch. Gone are the days of focus and solitude for writing, for me. Lol! I loved your write up. Your opinions are definitely valid and each of us are entitled to. I might try driving one again and give it a more in depth test. I had a couple comments though: the blank front end void of fog lights are only on the ecoboost and gt right? Doesn't the gt350 get fogs in those spots? And the power torque down low you mention, I found the opposite is true. Low on power down low and very sluggish to respond, not till upper 3k rpm before things got somewhat exciting. Maybe I got a dud? :dunno:

Or or you unfairly comparing it to the low-end power of your supercharged 5.0? ;) For a small motor, I thought it pulled really well even in 6th.

FromZto5 3/1/15 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by kylerohde (Post 6903283)
Or or you unfairly comparing it to the low-end power of your supercharged 5.0? ;) For a small motor, I thought it pulled really well even in 6th.

Lol that's what I thought too. I mean for sure there's some bias towards power there, even though I try not to let it influence. I can't help it :( but still, I just know from a pure isolation standpoint, I felt like it was more vanilla flavored and generic than other mustangs of yore that I've been. That rawness at least for me, is what made it fun. This one was void of that. But I think I will give it another chance and will drive it again.

kylerohde 3/2/15 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by FromZto5 (Post 6903365)
Lol that's what I thought too. I mean for sure there's some bias towards power there, even though I try not to let it influence. I can't help it :( but still, I just know from a pure isolation standpoint, I felt like it was more vanilla flavored and generic than other mustangs of yore that I've been. That rawness at least for me, is what made it fun. This one was void of that. But I think I will give it another chance and will drive it again.

Well "rawness" is a different thing than a perceived lack of low-end torque from that motor. "Rawness" is a really, really difficult thing to quantify; what gives our cars that feel, to you? I would think it's the noise/power of the motor, the weight/heft of the clutch and shifter, ability to break the rear end loose, the ride being firm to harsh depending on road conditions, and perhaps some of the side-to-side jarring created by the solid rear axle? If those are the five, the 2015 has four of 'em ;)

CriticalmassGT 3/2/15 08:38 AM

I test drove one this weekend while waiting to have my oil changed. I was impressed with the toggle switches, but that's about it. I guess I'm just not a fan of it right now. maybe in a few years. The dealership really wanted my 14, but I told them they couldn't have it.

killaz05 3/3/15 06:40 AM

I watched one of American Muscle's latest videos where they put exhaust on the new ecoboost mustang and took it down the track. It sounded like a lawn mower... seriously, go watch it! I refuse to ever let my vehicle sound like that.

In another note. The ecoboost is said to handle better because of the less weight than the GT. The GT should provide the go quick feeling but you will feel the weight when turning.

The GT350 will not have fog lights in the grille from what has been seen but I think it is very similar to the new edge mustangs in that respect. Also, there is no point to the rear seats. I can fit in the 2014 rear seats but not even close in the 2015. It is an interesting car and one day I will test drive it. Just hate dealing with salespeople most of the time.

CriticalmassGT 3/3/15 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by killaz05 (Post 6903836)
I watched one of American Muscle's latest videos where they put exhaust on the new ecoboost mustang and took it down the track. It sounded like a lawn mower... seriously, go watch it! I refuse to ever let my vehicle sound like that.

In another note. The ecoboost is said to handle better because of the less weight than the GT. The GT should provide the go quick feeling but you will feel the weight when turning.

The GT350 will not have fog lights in the grille from what has been seen but I think it is very similar to the new edge mustangs in that respect. Also, there is no point to the rear seats. I can fit in the 2014 rear seats but not even close in the 2015. It is an interesting car and one day I will test drive it. Just hate dealing with salespeople most of the time.

Yes, somehow they made it smaller inside and wider outside. Go figure. When it is reviewed in Europe, I can guarantee that will be one of the complaints (it's too wide, why did they make it wider).

LivinTheStangLife 3/3/15 01:18 PM

Still waiting for the chance to go test drive one myself. I did pull into Zimmerman ford one day and have a looksie at one of the Eco boost models on the outside and I have to say i like the look of them much better in person than in pictures. I have seen a couple driving around town now and just about snap my neck trying to check it out as it goes by :lol: hopefully when it warms up a bit and they get some more on their lot I'll stop out and take one for a spin to see what I think about them. Hoping to get to see ya at a bunch of cruises and car shows this year! I was talking to the woman about going to them this year and even she wants to make sure we make it to some. I'm still bummed out I missed out on so many last year

14stangGT 3/3/15 01:44 PM

I test drove the new Eco boost and new 5.0 this past weekend in AZ. Granted I have a 14 GT Premium with VMP GEN2 SC and some other mods. First up the 5.0 I noticed you sit different it in it at least to me it seemed lower. It was nice but definitely was a harder ride then mine, I also have Mich tires which are much better then the stock ones. The power was good not really sure if it was much different then mine was stock. It also had the 3.55 like I added to mine. They redid the gauge layout but still have pretty much the same information as the 14 did. Then I drove the ecoboost... I would never buy one. I am not sure where the excitement was but I felt the v6 had a better feel/pull. I thought is was slow especially after driving the 5.0.
The good thing it made me appreciate my 14 GT Premium even more. I was getting too used to extra power, I will be keeping it for a long time.

FromZto5 3/3/15 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by LivinTheStangLife (Post 6903991)
Still waiting for the chance to go test drive one myself. I did pull into Zimmerman ford one day and have a looksie at one of the Eco boost models on the outside and I have to say i like the look of them much better in person than in pictures. I have seen a couple driving around town now and just about snap my neck trying to check it out as it goes by :lol: hopefully when it warms up a bit and they get some more on their lot I'll stop out and take one for a spin to see what I think about them. Hoping to get to see ya at a bunch of cruises and car shows this year! I was talking to the woman about going to them this year and even she wants to make sure we make it to some. I'm still bummed out I missed out on so many last year

Kyle what's up sir. Yeah hopefully I get to see you at some cruises and shows this year. As for Zimmerman, don't go there. I can't stand them. Lol.

Originally Posted by 14stangGT (Post 6904002)
I test drove the new Eco boost and new 5.0 this past weekend in AZ. Granted I have a 14 GT Premium with VMP GEN2 SC and some other mods. First up the 5.0 I noticed you sit different it in it at least to me it seemed lower. It was nice but definitely was a harder ride then mine, I also have Mich tires which are much better then the stock ones. The power was good not really sure if it was much different then mine was stock. It also had the 3.55 like I added to mine. They redid the gauge layout but still have pretty much the same information as the 14 did. Then I drove the ecoboost... I would never buy one. I am not sure where the excitement was but I felt the v6 had a better feel/pull. I thought is was slow especially after driving the 5.0. The good thing it made me appreciate my 14 GT Premium even more. I was getting too used to extra power, I will be keeping it for a long time.

Yes sir, agree with all your comments.

SONICBOOST 3/3/15 09:00 PM

Wow Kyle I just read your extensive review. Thanks for putting that together! Makes me want to test drive the S550 even more.

SONICBOOST 3/3/15 09:02 PM

Although I would like to see your guys review of the 5.0.

Varilux 3/3/15 10:35 PM

About 30 minutes after arriving home today, my neighbor stopped by to show me his brand new '15 GT and offered to take me for a ride (in his words "In the 3 years I've been in the neighborhood, I've watched you work on and wash 4 different Mustangs, so I figure you're pretty into them" ;)). Its an automatic (but I have to say that car shifts a lot quicker/better than I can with my manual- given the bumper to bumper traffic I regularly contend with, I am a bit jealous).

Allowing for the fact that the weather is miserable right now, and the roads around here are all being torn up, I'd have to say the '15 felt a bit more "grown up" than my '14. My last car was an '07 BMW Z4 coupe (awesome car), and my '14 has always felt a lot "bigger and heavier" than the Bimmer- probably because it is. The '15 felt closer to the "zippy" feel of the Z4 and just felt "lighter" on the road.

The interior is nice- but given my experience with the "soft touch" surfaces in the Saab 9-3 Aero I had before the Z4- I have grave concerns regarding the durability over time. The toggles look cool, but they remind me of a Mini Cooper's controls and are a bit "gimmicky."

The performance was good- it will get up and move (and no axle hop). However (and yes, I have made some mods on my own exhaust), it doesn't "sound" as fast as my '14. Take that however you will. It certainly didn't feel any faster than my '14- although it felt quicker during the turns.

In the end, I agree 100% with an earlier comment in this thread. To make it a world car, the mustang became a sports car. It is no longer a muscle car or a pony car which is a problem people are having with the new car.

Although I complimented him on his new purchase (it is, after all, a Mustang- and a very nice car at that), I have to say the ride was the final nail in the coffin regarding my next car. Ford wants the Mustang to be a sports car? Fine- but the problem is a lot of European manufacturers do that job a whole lot better (thinking Cayman S, BMW 3, even the new Lexus coupe). I already know I'll be trading in my '14 next November (when some stock options pay out), and right now I'm leaning towards a Lotus Evora. The end of the S197 (and the 50th anniversary) was enough to get me out of European cars and into a modern Mustang- but now Ford is walking away from what made the Mustang different from everything else- from both a performance and a cosmetic standpoint. I completely acknowledge that I'm a "First Generation" Mustang fan- so for me the "Euroization" of the Mustang is just tragic (hopefully, there will be a whole new market for the car out there). At the price they're asking for the new Mustangs, I'd rather just purchase a true Euro car that's 1-2 years old.

I'll be keeping my '65, but the '14 will succumb to the "new car itch" I get every 24 months or so. Of course, I'll keep modding the '14 right up to the time I trade her in (I do love the aftermarket these cars enjoy- although that seems to be drying up for the S197 rather rapidly). I like sports cars- but I purchased the '14 because it was a change of pace muscle car, and there are just too many better sports cars out there.

killaz05 3/4/15 06:58 AM

Noooo! why trade in that beautiful 2014 GT!? I really like your car Pete. Anyhow I think when you do get the itch to purchase another car, you might want to consider the GT350. It should be a better overall package than the GT plus I am hoping the motor will make it have that special something. You mentioned cars like the Cayman S and BMW 3 series while they are good cars, the GT350 should be well within the market you are looking at.

LivinTheStangLife 3/4/15 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by FromZto5 (Post 6904113)
Kyle what's up sir. Yeah hopefully I get to see you at some cruises and shows this year. As for Zimmerman, don't go there. I can't stand them. Lol.

Yeah I've gotten that impression from them so I probably wouldn't buy from them but I wouldn't have a problem test driving their mustangs lol

Varilux 3/4/15 11:26 AM

My thought (as a marketer myself) is the positioning of the S197 put it in the "muscle car" category- where the Mustang competes (quite well, IMO) with a very limited number of American entries:
http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/def...?itok=PUh5AY4U
http://car-pictures.cars.com/images/...300&AUTOTRIM=1
http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/d/7...aro-Z28-01.JPG

In the future- with the S550 being positioned as a "sports car," Ford will be comparing to numerous established European cars- and (as much as I love the Mustang) I'm not as confident regarding how it will fare... (I deliberately picked a 2015 Mustang photo that doesn't show the awful front end :)). My main problem (as a marketer) with the 2015 Mustang is Ford has gone "Too far, but not far enough." They've moved the product far enough to get it out of its comfortable niche as a "muscle car," but IMO have fallen way short of moving it to a point where it will truly appeal to the consumer who purchases Porsches, BMWs, and Audis. What is particularly sad is Ford already tried (and failed) to compete with these manufacturers in other segments when they owned Jaguar (I owned an X-Type... lovely car, but not as good as the MB, BMW, or Audi). Sorry, but as much as I preferred the retro look of the S197, if this was the direction Ford wanted to go, they needed a S550 that departed much farther from the previous gen.
http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/im...mited-ny-1.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....s7-detroit.jpg
https://pictures.dealer.com/jdpower/...d28bfbe83f.JPG
http://cartype.com/pics/7021/full/lo..._sport-pak.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...nSDlVPXnLZVUqA