2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

i can't seem to find exact oil used for MT82 and rear end, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/12, 06:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i can't seem to find exact oil used for MT82 and rear end, please help.

first i looked all over the manual and couldn't find those fluids.

as for the engine on the track pack its full synthetic 5-50 i think 8.5 quarts to be exact due to the oil cooler?

so then i went to the dealer to get my info, they were not able to find the info for me a few days ago and told me they will look it up and call me back. I asked them to tell me exactly the name and weight that was used...

so i got a call back to day and they left me a message and said for the transmission you buy "manual transmission synthetic fluid"

and on the rear end you need "75-140 synthetic"

ill try to give them a call to get more specific details, like the weight for the trans and how many quarts, and the brand for the rear end, cuz their info is not helping all that much.

i also asked one of the dealers about if i change the MT82 fluid to another fluid would that void the warranty in case something goes and they will see the fluid is different... they said yes... then i went to another dealer and asked the same question and they said most likely not, but they will have to see what new fluid is in there and if thats what caused the issues... etc
Old 6/11/12, 08:05 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why are you worried about this now?

The transmission and rear axle fluids don't need to be changed for quite a while.

And as far as what brand, Ford will always recommend Motorcraft, you can use anything that matches the Ford spec.

And I'd read the manual again, fluid requirements are listed.
Old 6/11/12, 08:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Why are you worried about this now?

The transmission and rear axle fluids don't need to be changed for quite a while.

And as far as what brand, Ford will always recommend Motorcraft, you can use anything that matches the Ford spec.

And I'd read the manual again, fluid requirements are listed.
couldn't find it in my 2013 manual, maybe getting old and blind, now can't find my manual LOL

I want to upgrade my MT82 fluid to something better and 2,000 is enough miles to get some break in metal shavings in the transmission and the rear end, so its best to drain and replace, but not required, personal preference. Plus i gotta do some rear end repairs so its a benefit for me to do so.
Old 6/11/12, 08:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I can give you the part numbers for the repairs I had done and the fluids Ford replaced when completed: Fluids are all Motorcraft:

1- Rear Axle ( Oil - Rear AXL: XY-75W140-QL)

2- MT-82 (Fluid- TRANSM: XT-11-QDC)

Hope this helps. Info is listed as it appeared on my repair order.
Old 6/11/12, 11:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
The problem is that there is very little out there that claims to match the ford spec for the MT-82. (either one of them) The only 3rd party product I could find that even sells in the USA has very limited distribution. Motorcraft is the only widely available choice.

Sure there are various brands that have said one of their products is acceptable for the MT-82, but they don't say they match the ford spec. Probably because they don't or didn't test to see if they did.

Hopefully the choices will expand as time goes on.

QS is ford spec WSD-M2C200-C
QDC is ford spec WSS–M2C200-D2

Ford changed to QDC for the MT-82 in late july of last year. As far as I know, no changes since. Check your owners manual or the docs on the motorcraft website to be certain for 2013 models.

blusynthetic makes a product that claims to meet WSD-M2C200-C http://blusynthetic.com/product/75w-...eries-mtf-fs-0

Only thing google is turning up in the USA that meets WSS–M2C200-D2 and not motorcraft is a volvo fluid which is probably the motorcraft in a different bottle.

Last edited by 97GT12; 6/11/12 at 11:29 PM.
Old 6/12/12, 03:19 AM
Bullitt Member

come to find out, the rear end axles can't be pulled out unless i drain the housing and remove the pumpkin cover, for the rear end ill probably pick up some redline 75 140 synthetic gear oil, or maybe mobil one, I'm just not sure if i would need limited slip additives or do some already come with limited slip additives?
Old 6/12/12, 05:17 AM
Bullitt Member

i went ahead and ordered some Royal Purple fluids, I'm sure it meets and exceeds the factory requirements.

Royal Purple Max Gear 75w140 Gear Oil
Royal Purple Synchromax Manual Transmission Fluid

i hope I'm not making a mistake here, but I'm really worried about metal shavings after new break in. and with these fluids things should run and shift smoother and maybe with more protection.
Old 6/12/12, 10:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BOSS302R
i went ahead and ordered some Royal Purple fluids, I'm sure it meets and exceeds the factory requirements.

i hope I'm not making a mistake here, but I'm really worried about metal shavings after new break in. and with these fluids things should run and shift smoother and maybe with more protection.
Don't know about the rear end, however Royal purple makes no claims of meeting the relevant ford specs for the MT-82. They state that synchromax is for MT's that specify ATF or motor oil. This is not MT-82.
Old 6/13/12, 03:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 97GT12
Don't know about the rear end, however Royal purple makes no claims of meeting the relevant ford specs for the MT-82. They state that synchromax is for MT's that specify ATF or motor oil. This is not MT-82.
any suggestions on a good replacement for the factory MT82 fluids? i know it needs to be a full synthetic MT fluid
Old 6/13/12, 07:37 AM
Cobra Member

any suggestions on a good replacement for the factory MT82 fluids? i know it needs to be a full synthetic MT fluid
A lot of Boss guys are using redline MTL. I plan on doing the swap after every 12 hours of track time.
Old 6/13/12, 08:14 AM
GT Member

Not sure about your MT82 fluid...

You got the right stuff for your rear diff but you will also need friction modifier (pretty much a requirement for the limited slip) or you will have some problems. Even if the Royal Purple 75w140 says you don't need it, you do.

Last edited by Forkmachine; 6/13/12 at 08:15 AM.
Old 6/13/12, 11:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Forkmachine
Not sure about your MT82 fluid...

You got the right stuff for your rear diff but you will also need friction modifier (pretty much a requirement for the limited slip) or you will have some problems. Even if the Royal Purple 75w140 says you don't need it, you do.
i got the rear end fluid from AM and it says it comes with friction modifier so thats good
Old 6/13/12, 11:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jza1736
A lot of Boss guys are using redline MTL. I plan on doing the swap after every 12 hours of track time.
thanks, ill look into that
Old 6/13/12, 12:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I changed to Red Line MTL with good results and a lot of guys recommend Amsoil MTG for the MT82.
Old 6/13/12, 12:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am not sure why so many people are down on Fords' brand, Motorcraft. The car is under warranty for 5 yrs/60,000 miles, so use the Ford brand fluids. If you have a problem they cannot void the warranty. I have the QDC in the MT-82 and it has performed, without issue for the last 12000 miles, since it was replaced under the TSB at 10000 miles. There is no noise, and it shifts smoothly and without effort. I also know that if I do have problem there will be no questions about who will fix it. Ford also replaced my differential fluid when they installed the axle vent. Again, it is a Motorcraft product, so no warranty problems should the diff fail.

I call it piece of mind. Just my .02.
Old 6/13/12, 01:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

i got the rear end fluid from AM and it says it comes with friction modifier so thats good
If you have a Torsen diff you don't need friction modifier.
Old 6/13/12, 04:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Have fun with the Synchromax. Everyone I've talked to hates it. They replaced it to either Redline or Amsoil after about 500 miles. They said the shifting went to ****
Old 6/14/12, 12:20 AM
Bullitt Member

i went ahead and went to my local ford and picked up XT-M5-QS which is the ford MT82 required fluid. i figured for 60k there is no reason to use anything else... if it fails, well ford won't blame it on me due to a different fluid. if ill have problems after 60k ill either try different fluid or change trans all together i suppose.

Originally Posted by Fat Boss
If you have a Torsen diff you don't need friction modifier.
are you sure? why is that? i thought a friction modifiers have to be used in ALL limited slip diffs?

Last edited by BOSS302R; 6/14/12 at 12:22 AM.
Old 6/14/12, 08:08 AM
GT Member

What I was trying to tell you in my previous post is that the RP rear diff fluid claims to have friction modifier in it but if you do a search on other Mustang forums and possibly this one, you will find that it is not sufficient and that you should still be adding separate friction modifier regardless unless you want some pretty nasty gear noise and possible premature wear. Of course, all of that business is for my lowly regular limited slip differential, not the Torsen. You should look into the friction modifier thing for the torsen, I kind of overlooked that you had that in your car. Fat Boss knows what he is talking about I am sure. Maybe search through the Boss forum. I am sure it is discussed there.

Last edited by Forkmachine; 6/14/12 at 08:12 AM.
Old 6/14/12, 08:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

are you sure? why is that? i thought a friction modifiers have to be used in ALL limited slip diffs?
100% sure. I spoke at length about it with Mark Wilson from Ford Racing. The reason is the Torsen does not have clutches which would need f/m. The Torsen is helical gears that don't require it.

Quick Reply: i can't seem to find exact oil used for MT82 and rear end, please help.