Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

I am really happy with my new 2011 stang

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/10, 10:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am really happy with my new 2011 stang

Well after having it for 2 months and using it daily I am very happy with the car. Finally a mustang with a small turning radius and proper steering/suspension setup. This is useful here in Europe.

Minus the characteristics of the live axle setup (the car seems to become a bit unsettled over bumps in turns) the suspension seems well sorted out and handles quite well for a base model mustang. It turns well with no understeer. Now I do have a Kenne Bell powered 03 cobra for a thrilling ride anytime I want so I do not regret not getting the 5.0 model. The V6 actually replaces my 08 Focus which cabin tech feature wise was so far ahead of my 03 cobra. That is what I have been missing in my cobra....tech toys.

I have every option offered on the coupe except for the glass roof and 3.31 gears. I wanted fuel economy but the 3.31s are probably better suited for my driving style. The 2.73s require a lot of downshifting from 5th and 6th gear to pass or keep up with autobahn traffic between 60 and 80 MPH. I may burn even more gas that way. Who knows? When the snowfall starts I will get a set of winter tires and this setup should work well. I have driven my past cobras in winter months without traction control. So my 2011 with Advance Track/Winter tires/2.73 gears should be issue free regarding traction and vehicle control.

I am very happy and impressed with the HID lights. I actually prefer the look of the HIDs better and the light output is much better. Very impressive to me on dark roads. I have often read where people dislike the look of the HIDs but I would have it no other way!

Now if you did not get the electronics package with nav you are definately missing something. I will add my own video here soon with my review of the system's capabilities. The small portable Garmin and Tom Tom devices do not compare to the in-dash Ford unit. It is so much more than navigation. It is a complete multimedia interface with multiple ways to access and control the system.

Now more about the autobahn....it is not the fastest nor the slowest and it has a top speed limiter of around 118-120MPH which over here is wimpy but I am in no big rush to change that yet. Maybe next spring/summer. This car can easily bury the speedo past 160 if un-governed. I owned a 96 and 99 cobra over the years and this V6 is as fast as those cars (not on the take off but even faster at higher RPMs). Amazing!!!

I also have to sort out some navigation map issues and I have a good solution but I do not feel like disassembling the dash at the moment. It seems that other continents exist besides North America.....Thanks for the great system but no thanks for not working with the global Ford engineers on this and creating an easy solution for adding Austraillan, Asian, or European maps on the hard drive based system. As I understand it there are even no maps for Mexico/parts of Texas available. Cars are exported as we all know!!!!

Ford - Please add foldable mirrors soon. I would take that over the IRS

I will add a bit more of my impressions and experiences later.

Last edited by eurocobra; 9/9/10 at 02:48 AM.
Old 9/8/10, 11:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Glad your enjoying it. I bet it gets many looks over there in Germany. Love the Cobra.
Old 9/8/10, 11:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SynisterGT
Glad your enjoying it. I bet it gets many looks over there in Germany. Love the Cobra.
It is like a precious gem over here and mustangs are not extremely rare here especially near military bases. It does not blend in well but it looks really good.
Old 9/9/10, 01:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Shoulda got the Glass Roof and 3.31s...

/oblig
Old 9/9/10, 02:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Shoulda got the Glass Roof and 3.31s...

/oblig
I already paid more for this car than I paid for my cobra a few short years ago. The roof was an additional $2K.

If I could do it over again I would just get the Performance Package. It wasn't available when I ordered my car in April.
Old 9/9/10, 03:20 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plz tell use more about navigation system how you will fix it to work here in Europe. I need to know because I want Mustang with navigation system which will work here in Sweden.
Old 9/9/10, 11:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Enator
Plz tell use more about navigation system how you will fix it to work here in Europe. I need to know because I want Mustang with navigation system which will work here in Sweden.
I decided to go with a stand alone black box navigation system. It will have to be interfaced into the existing system.

Clarion NP509E, Sync Lockpick, some adapters, and some technical know-how.

http://www.clarion.com/gb/en/product...414933687.html

http://www.coastaletech.com/synclockpick.htm

You may also want to talk with these guys in Sweden: http://www.carperformance.se/index.p...&id=1&Itemid=7 - They convert Chrysler radios to Euro standard. Perhaps they can work something out for the Ford system.