2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Hurst shifter

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/11, 11:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll admit I don't know about the stock shifter since I don't have my car yet, but I thought pushing down was the reverse lockout function of the stock shifter. Is that the case or is it just a part of the transmission itself?
Old 4/13/11, 12:25 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's pretty easy to accidentally go in to reverse in these cars because the spring resistance against pushing down is VERY light. The weight of my hand on the shifter alone is nearly enough to do the trick.

Thank God I got the back up cam. The one time I accidentally went to reverse in traffic it came on and I realized my mistake
Old 4/13/11, 02:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have a Hurst shifter. Its a preproduction unit though. The throws feel really good but for right now it doesnt have the right spring in it. You can feel 3,4,5,6 really good but R,1,2 are all really close so I have to start in 2nd until they figure out a better spring. You cant tell R from 1st. But once they get the spring issue fixed this shifter will be perfect in my opinion.

Theres no lock out so you dont have to push down. Just all the way to the left and up. I will update once I get the new spring.
Old 4/13/11, 03:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 20115.0
I have a Hurst shifter. Its a preproduction unit though. The throws feel really good but for right now it doesnt have the right spring in it. You can feel 3,4,5,6 really good but R,1,2 are all really close so I have to start in 2nd until they figure out a better spring. You cant tell R from 1st. But once they get the spring issue fixed this shifter will be perfect in my opinion.

Theres no lock out so you dont have to push down. Just all the way to the left and up. I will update once I get the new spring.
That makes sense, nice looking shifter though.
Old 4/13/11, 04:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

What does nvh mean?
Old 4/13/11, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ducky

That is exactly what he is saying. Those with the Barton will come in here now and defend it to the death. But unless they have opened their transmission up and inspected the parts, there is no way for them to confirm or deny George's opinion. And personally, I'll take the opinion of George over most of the knuckleheads on this site. He knows his stuff which is why 90% of "which shifter should I get" threads from the last decade plus have filled with "MGW".

He is almost done with the shifter, it is in production. He is about to send out 50 test units to volunteers who signed up. After a few weeks of feedback from the testers, George will make the necessary alterations and the shifter will be released.
Your post make no sense,... Your making claims that "you'll take george's word over most of the knuckleheads on here" and then you go on to say that 50 people are going to "test" his unit so he can make alterations... At this point George doesn't know if his unit causes wear, works etc... And with all do respect, you know even less. And yes I own the Barton and no "just like you and George" i have no idea if it's causing wear... But it was a good attempt at marketing George's wares and running down everybody else.
Old 4/13/11, 04:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by hahnsolo78
What does nvh mean?
noise, vibration, harshness
Old 4/14/11, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by 20115.0

Just curious... Is that Hurst actually taller than the OE shifter? I'm old-school enough that I like the idea of a Hurst in a Mustang, but I don't want the **** higher than stock.
Old 4/14/11, 09:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, its an inch maybe inch and a half taller but its not enough to tell really. When driving I didnt feel a difference after they put it in.
Old 4/14/11, 09:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what understand the Hurst shifter replaces the whole shifter assembly unlike the others that only replaces the shifter itself. So does that means you have to remove the transmission for installation? Also I still don't get the why they removed the reverse lockout since is a safety mechanism I thought no company would mess with that. Was it done for convenience (don't need to press down to shift to reverse) only or does removing the lockout provides some kind of improvement that I'm not aware of? So what prevents you from inadvertently shifting to reverse instead of first?
Old 4/14/11, 11:49 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by newpony
From what understand the Hurst shifter replaces the whole shifter assembly unlike the others that only replaces the shifter itself. So does that means you have to remove the transmission for installation? Also I still don't get the why they removed the reverse lockout since is a safety mechanism I thought no company would mess with that. Was it done for convenience (don't need to press down to shift to reverse) only or does removing the lockout provides some kind of improvement that I'm not aware of? So what prevents you from inadvertently shifting to reverse instead of first?
I havent heard that the Hurst replaces the whole assembly, the MGW will though which exactly why I am getting it. You won't need to drop your trans, but you will need to get under the car. I don't know why Hurst decided to mess with the reverse lockout either, the only thing I can think of is that the shifter has a more positive feel when shifting anywhere but into first. And it's up to the driver to keep the car out of reverse.
Old 5/17/11, 06:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jbt56
Just curious... Is that Hurst actually taller than the OE shifter? I'm old-school enough that I like the idea of a Hurst in a Mustang, but I don't want the **** higher than stock.
The short-throw Hurst shifters for the 2005-10 GT are also a little taller than stock. But believe me, the shifter feels 100% better than stock and the height is a non-issue. If anything, it's in a more perfect location if you ask me. The firmness and precision are why it feels better than the stock shifter - plus it's a shorter throw by about half.

Last but not least, it's appearance speaks for itself. Especially if you're into old school.