2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

How Many miles on your 5.0?

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/15 | 12:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I don't baby mine either. I just wish I could figure out what the popping was from the front and the clang/bonk sound from the driver's rear on bumps. I checked to make sure that the shocks where bolted in and torqued down. 75 ft/lbs. Any ideas?
Old 2/24/15 | 03:16 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by 2014GHIGGT
I'm right there with you. New England is tough on roads in the winter. It'll be April before my car sees sunlight.
Yeah,.....that's a fact.
Old 2/25/15 | 08:48 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Originally Posted by Surgemaster
My 2014 GT has had a bad surge in the lower gears at low to medium speeds. I took to dealer and was told they had gotten a bulletin on this problem and had a reflash to try for a fix. Didn't make any difference. Will be taking back again as soon as weather straightens out for another try. Dealer 120 miles away. Condition VERY ANNOYING!
Hello Surgemaster,

I’d like to get this escalated for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. I’ll get the customer service manager for your area involved.

Deysha
Old 2/25/15 | 09:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by xtc.inc
But seriously though... these big v8s will go 250k miles no problem.... you guys need to actually enjoy your cars whenever possible... life is too short... what ya waitin for... the next guy to drive it once you sell it to em in mint condition? looool
I don't disagree with your sentiment but how do you figure that these motors will be good for 250k miles? Keep in mind that they have 11:1 compession and marginal cooling.

Originally Posted by 2011gt5.0
49,000 just put brakes on.
THAT must have been one hell of a ride!
Old 2/25/15 | 11:28 AM
GT Member

I got my 2014 in June brand new and have put 11k on the clock... It's my DD, haven't brought it in for anything, have done my own oil change and tire rotations. The manual trans doesn't like the cold... Outside of that, I've had a positive 9 months with the 5.0 so far.
Old 2/25/15 | 02:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

And I'm sure you will have many more.
Old 3/16/15 | 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by barebone- 5.0
The manual trans doesn't like the cold...
I hear you on that. My trans shifts like a bag of rocks until it's fully warmed up. It needs at least a half hour of driving to warm up and shift properly into second gear. I have a 15 minute drive to work so I spend most of my time shifting first to third.

I have exactly 8,000 miles on my 13 Boss 302. They are mostly junk miles trying to get the trans warmed up enough to actually enjoy driving the car. It's very disheartening to hear my wife say "crunch, crunch" every time the trans crashes gears going into second.

The trans issues have been confirmed by dealer techs and service managers at two different dealers. It's had three trans rebuilds and a trans replacement in those 8,000 miles and spent it's fair share of time in the shop. The problems started in 2012 and have plagued the car since.

I'm disappointed with the car, Ford and the dealer's actions to date. In reality, the only reason I still have this car is because the Black Book value has plummeted too far to trade it in on a Camaro or Charger. I'd sell it privately to get a better price but how do you sell a car privately that won't go into second gear on a test drive without a loud metallic crunch of gears.

I kind of feel trapped with an expensive car that I can't drive properly, can't get fixed and can't sell or trade.
Old 3/16/15 | 05:32 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Boss 0960
I hear you on that. My trans shifts like a bag of rocks until it's fully warmed up. It needs at least a half hour of driving to warm up and shift properly into second gear. I have a 15 minute drive to work so I spend most of my time shifting first to third. I have exactly 8,000 miles on my 13 Boss 302. They are mostly junk miles trying to get the trans warmed up enough to actually enjoy driving the car. It's very disheartening to hear my wife say "crunch, crunch" every time the trans crashes gears going into second. The trans issues have been confirmed by dealer techs and service managers at two different dealers. It's had three trans rebuilds and a trans replacement in those 8,000 miles and spent it's fair share of time in the shop. The problems started in 2012 and have plagued the car since. I'm disappointed with the car, Ford and the dealer's actions to date. In reality, the only reason I still have this car is because the Black Book value has plummeted too far to trade it in on a Camaro or Charger. I'd sell it privately to get a better price but how do you sell a car privately that won't go into second gear on a test drive without a loud metallic crunch of gears. I kind of feel trapped with an expensive car that I can't drive properly, can't get fixed and can't sell or trade.
That's a little extreme, and beyond "just a cold" thing. Sorry to hear ford hasn't taken much good action. Have you considered an MGW?
Old 3/16/15 | 05:32 PM
Cobra Member

I feel for you guys. I sold my soul and went Auto and couldn't be happier. 30k and going strong. The car gets stronger with every mile. .... I've had a 93 Steeda tune since 1,000 miles btw.
Old 3/16/15 | 05:34 PM
Cobra Member

Why Ford won't admit the Mt82 is trash and go Tremec is beyond me...
Old 3/16/15 | 06:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
That's a little extreme, and beyond "just a cold" thing. Sorry to hear ford hasn't taken much good action. Have you considered an MGW?
Because of the trans issues, I have installed the MGW shifter, Whiteline bushing and Blowfish Racing bracket. My dealer installed the Blowfish bracket with the "Customer Loyaly Coupon" Ford sent me after the trans replacement didn't fix the issue. I guess it's a nice gesture but what kind of Customer Loyalty are they building if they didn't fix the car?

It's funny but the only item they refuse to look at or consider is the clutch, which at this point is the only item on the trans that hasn't been rebuilt or replaced. Maybe they won't look at the clutch because they consider it an expendable? I'd have to look but I think the problems started at around 1,700 miles. The clutch remains untouched and the problem remains exactly as it was two years ago (right down to the little nibble going into third).

P.S. I meant Camaro or Challenger. Charger? Ugh. Too much ugly and too many doors.
Old 3/16/15 | 06:31 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Why consider a boringmaro, they all look the same. Challenger scat or srt8 are really nice though. I don't get how some people have problems with their trans and some don't. I hope I don't jinx my but my car shifts very smooth. 15k miles
Old 3/16/15 | 06:49 PM
I Have No Life

Because of the trans issues, I have installed the MGW shifter, Whiteline bushing and Blowfish Racing bracket. My dealer installed the Blowfish bracket with the "Customer Loyaly Coupon" Ford sent me after the trans replacement didn't fix the issue. I guess it's a nice gesture but what kind of Customer Loyalty are they building if they didn't fix the car? It's funny but the only item they refuse to look at or consider is the clutch, which at this point is the only item on the trans that hasn't been rebuilt or replaced. Maybe they won't look at the clutch because they consider it an expendable? I'd have to look but I think the problems started at around 1,700 miles. The clutch remains untouched and the problem remains exactly as it was two years ago (right down to the little nibble going into third). P.S. I meant Camaro or Challenger. Charger? Ugh. Too much ugly and too many doors.
I see. So despite all the mods to help fix the trans stuff, still having that crunch in 2nd and third huh? Sorry to hear.
Old 3/16/15 | 07:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Because of the trans issues, I have installed the MGW shifter, Whiteline bushing and Blowfish Racing bracket. My dealer installed the Blowfish bracket with the "Customer Loyaly Coupon" Ford sent me after the trans replacement didn't fix the issue. I guess it's a nice gesture but what kind of Customer Loyalty are they building if they didn't fix the car?

It's funny but the only item they refuse to look at or consider is the clutch, which at this point is the only item on the trans that hasn't been rebuilt or replaced. Maybe they won't look at the clutch because they consider it an expendable? I'd have to look but I think the problems started at around 1,700 miles. The clutch remains untouched and the problem remains exactly as it was two years ago (right down to the little nibble going into third).

P.S. I meant Camaro or Challenger. Charger? Ugh. Too much ugly and too many doors.
I don't know if this will help you, but I have a little nibble going into 2nd when it's cold (2014 GT). I have taken to double-clutching in the early mornings for second gear. Once the car warms up I can shift normally.

If you try that and it doesn't help, then perhaps you do have an issue with clutch disengagement?

Also, I didn't see braided stainless clutch lines on your mod list. If you don't have them, that's also a consideration.

Edit: To answer the original question in the thread, 5,000.

Last edited by berzerk_1980; 3/16/15 at 07:05 PM.
Old 3/16/15 | 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
Why consider a boringmaro, they all look the same. Challenger scat or srt8 are really nice though.
I'm a big fan of the LS engines. I bought an LS1 Camaro SS back in 2002 and an LS3 Corvette in 2008, both new, both trouble free throughout my ownership and my local Chevy dealer is stellar. I'll have the time to give the next gen Camaro a good look before I have my current junk paid down enough to trade it in.

I like the way the Challenger looks but I'm not entirely sold on Chrysler's quality yet. Plus, it's big and heavy. I like the light nimble pony cars like the Boss. On paper, the Boss is the perfect car for me. I just need one that works.
Old 3/16/15 | 08:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
I don't know if this will help you, but I have a little nibble going into 2nd when it's cold (2014 GT). I have taken to double-clutching in the early mornings for second gear. Once the car warms up I can shift normally.

If you try that and it doesn't help, then perhaps you do have an issue with clutch disengagement?

Also, I didn't see braided stainless clutch lines on your mod list. If you don't have them, that's also a consideration.

Edit: To answer the original question in the thread, 5,000.
It's not a nibble going into second. It's a solid metal gear on gear crunch at it's worst. At it's best when cold, it's like sliding two rocks against each other. Regardless, I always flinch whenever I shift into second expecting the crunch. It's unnerving and embarrasing if I have a passenger. The nibble is going into third. It feels like a clutch disengagement issue but after three rebuilds and a new transmission, the original clutch is still in the car, untouched.

To be entirely honest, I did not want a mod list for my Boss. My intention was to keep it bone stock and drive it to work and light cruising in the summer. If I am going to be on the hook for making the trans work on my own dime, I'll do the braided line, pulse ring, etc. when the new clutch gets installed.
Old 3/16/15 | 08:14 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I'm a big fan of the LS engines. I bought an LS1 Camaro SS back in 2002 and an LS3 Corvette in 2008, both new, both trouble free throughout my ownership and my local Chevy dealer is stellar. I'll have the time to give the next gen Camaro a good look before I have my current junk paid down enough to trade it in. I like the way the Challenger looks but I'm not entirely sold on Chrysler's quality yet. Plus, it's big and heavy. I like the light nimble pony cars like the Boss. On paper, the Boss is the perfect car for me. I just need one that works.
Good point. Bought a Chevy 1500 new and sold it with 110k, it was a great truck. Never had any engine issues other than a fuel pump failure. My current Chevy 2500 has 104k and even with towing it is has been great. As much as I like Chevy trucks I could never buy a camaro although they have interested me. My love for the mustang is too strong to consider anything else. I would probably feel different if my mustang gave me issues like yours though.. Sorry to hear about your boss problems.
Old 3/16/15 | 09:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's not a nibble going into second. It's a solid metal gear on gear crunch at it's worst. At it's best when cold, it's like sliding two rocks against each other. Regardless, I always flinch whenever I shift into second expecting the crunch. It's unnerving and embarrasing if I have a passenger. The nibble is going into third. It feels like a clutch disengagement issue but after three rebuilds and a new transmission, the original clutch is still in the car, untouched.

To be entirely honest, I did not want a mod list for my Boss. My intention was to keep it bone stock and drive it to work and light cruising in the summer. If I am going to be on the hook for making the trans work on my own dime, I'll do the braided line, pulse ring, etc. when the new clutch gets installed.
Yes, I agree with not wanting a mod list. Unfortunately, I think it may be necessary in order to deal with the engineering tradeoffs involved in having such an awesome affordable car :-/
Old 3/25/15 | 06:02 PM
Bullitt Member

28483... and she's due for a visit at the dealer for rear end noise
Old 3/25/15 | 06:45 PM

Got my 2014 Shelby GT 500 in March of last year with 11 miles on it and now it has 503 miles on it . It has not ever been rained on or drove in any type of bad weather everything on is just like it was the day that I got it. It is my dream car and I plan on keeping it like new...

Quick Reply: How Many miles on your 5.0?