2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

How do I get the dangling keys from hitting my legs?

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/10, 08:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
See my comments above. I am ever so helpful.
I'm going to go on a limb here and say he can't leave the work RFID tag at work. Just like I can't leave mine at work. That'd be great go through security every morning and request a temporary badge the only works on the gate outside my building then wait for someone to let me into my department only to pop on my tag when I get to my desk. I have a badge though so not on my key ring.
Old 7/13/10, 08:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam2004
Car key
House key
Mailbox key
Work RFID key
Garage door fob

Still hits my leg when driving.
The only thing you need is the car key and house key, and really don't even need the house key cause you have a garage door opener.

But i leave my mailbox key and the garage door openor in the car and the work rfid key in my laptop bar or at home.
Old 7/13/10, 09:19 AM
Cobra R Member

See my comments above. I am ever so helpful.
Indeed I don't think it matters how many keys you have attached to your key ring. If they dangle more than just a couple inches it's going to hit your knee/leg. At least in my experience.

One more reason the Mustang needs push button start. The $13,000 Fiesta has it standard.

Last edited by Adam; 7/13/10 at 09:20 AM.
Old 7/13/10, 09:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hah! Being 5'3" is nice!
Old 7/13/10, 09:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm 6' on the dot, and at first when I sat in my Mustang I though it might hit my legs too, but after I adjusted the seat and my position I found that this was not the case. Maybe it's just a holdover from my previous car also being a Mustang, I remember it was a problem with that car as well, but I eventually arranged myself and the seat to where it didn't happen.

My keys also dangle about 7 or 8 inches courtesy of a pen light the size of a crayon attached to a 2-3 inch felt thing. When I sit down next maybe I'll try to figure out where my legs sit in relation to my keys.

I personally like having a key to turn in the ignition better than a button.
Old 7/13/10, 09:53 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by csledd
Hah! Being 5'3" is nice!
Where do I go with this. . .

Old 7/13/10, 09:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 1,082 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang1979
Use a carabiner..and once in car, just un clip the Mustang key, insert into ignition and your done. Im 6-4 and find this useful.
that's a good practical suggestion

I have just two keys on my ring -- my Mustang key and my "other" car key -- and it still tickles my leg . . . maybe I just need to learn to like it . . . the only way to stop it is to completely disconnect all other keys, so you just have the Mustang key, like with the carabiner suggestion
Old 7/13/10, 12:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bert
that's a good practical suggestion

I have just two keys on my ring -- my Mustang key and my "other" car key -- and it still tickles my leg . . . maybe I just need to learn to like it . . . the only way to stop it is to completely disconnect all other keys, so you just have the Mustang key, like with the carabiner suggestion
lol. I have so many different sets of keys its annoying, but I have them all on different carabiners (hey military will teach to have lots of useful little items). I just put key in ignition, un hook caribiner and I am done. very easy and cheap.

I recommend the Niteize S-biner plastic ones, because they are plastic (lighter) and not metal, and if you ever need to really use them for something, can hold up to 10lbs, some are 25lbs. Use for camping all the time !

Last edited by mustang1979; 7/13/10 at 12:41 PM.
Old 7/13/10, 12:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by mustang1979
lol. I have so many different sets of keys its annoying, but I have them all on different carabiners (hey military will teach to have lots of useful little items). I just put key in ignition, un hook caribiner and I am done. very easy and cheap.

I recommend the Niteize S-biner plastic ones, because they are plastic (lighter) and not metal, and if you ever need to really use them for something, can hold up to 10lbs, some are 25lbs. Use for camping all the time !
And his last post will be... "I thought these 'biners were a really good deal. Going climbing tomorrow."

Old 7/13/10, 07:43 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like was said somewhere else in this thread, you shouldn't have any other keys on the ring dangling from the ignition. It's hard on the lock cylinder, wears the key out faster and they make noise as they shake over bumps. I have just my key and remote fob('04 model car), rest of my keys are on another key ring.
Old 7/13/10, 07:51 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Are you all janitors? Why so many keys?
I think the correct terms are either Custodial Services Supervisor or Environmental Superintendent
Old 7/13/10, 08:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Okay, key insert wear with more weight on the key sounds ridiculous to me. As long as you aren't a janitor you should be fine.

Anyway, I sit with my knees bent inward apparently. I figure most everyone with this problem has kinda long legs and tend to bend them outward. I think it developed out of my driving my '04 around for so many years. I remember for a while after I got it dangling keys was an annoyance with hitting my leg. I decided to learn to live with it, and, apparently, I did. I wondered why the third or fourth time I sat in my '11 the key issue seemed to suddenly be a non-issue. I guess I just naturally sit in that way now once I get comfortable, and it just transitioned over from my old car.
Old 7/13/10, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I keep my car fobs seperate from my other keys. My DD (Lincoln MKS) only has a fob that I keep in my pocket and just hit the start button. My Challenger has the same thing
Once I pick up my Shelby tomorrow it will be strange to have a key again lol

Last edited by R3troGT; 7/13/10 at 08:42 PM.
Old 7/13/10, 08:43 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Never even noticed this before.
Old 7/13/10, 09:14 PM
Cobra R Member

I guess the best way to not have dangling keys from hitting your leg is to not have dangling keys...

Plus I hear that eventually the weight of the the keys hanging from the ignition can eventually mess with it a lil bit- this may have been more prevalent in earlier cars tho. But still, I just don't like a lot of weight and bulk on my key chain. Use separate fobs I spose...

Encourages the idea to bring the Push start tho...
Old 7/13/10, 09:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Alot of weight? are you guys being serious? How big are these other keys that you are lugging around? Should I take my key chain off too?

If an ignition can't handle the weight of a couple extra keys and maybe a key chain, i think you've got bigger problems on your hands.
Old 7/13/10, 09:58 PM
GTR Member

Hell, all the door lock and trunk and alarm controls are built into the single key now, so there is NO REASON to have anything but the key in the ignition. Then there will be nothing to hang down and touch your leg or jingle. Just keep the rest of your keys in your pocket.
Old 7/13/10, 10:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Norberd
Alot of weight? are you guys being serious? How big are these other keys that you are lugging around? Should I take my key chain off too?

If an ignition can't handle the weight of a couple extra keys and maybe a key chain, i think you've got bigger problems on your hands.

..."a lot of weight" means something like the school janitor's keyring, not a typical person's keys. And yes, over time it can damage the mechanical lock you stick the key in (not necessarily the electrical ignition switch).

http://tinyurl.com/2av35b4
Old 7/13/10, 11:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Norberd

I leave a 10lb dumbbell attached to my key ring
Old 7/13/10, 11:46 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Adam2004
I leave a 10lb dumbbell attached to my key ring
Some people probably have a lot bigger dumbell attached to theirs...

Quick Reply: How do I get the dangling keys from hitting my legs?