Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How to deal with a 1" scratch?

Search this Thread

Old 1/27/11, 10:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to deal with a 1" scratch?

Yesterday we had about 8 inches of snow and of course I cleaned my car carefully, making sure not to hit it with the shovel. I even cleaned two cars around me that weren't mine (just snow on the ground) just in case they don't try to shovel in between. However, this morning, I guess someone decided to leave me a present, a thank you scratch. It's about 1 inch in my black paint, shows as white line. It doesn't look THAT deep, but it is.

How would I go about trying to fix this? So **** annoying.
Old 1/27/11, 11:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
People today simply view cars as transport. As for the scratch. You can try buffing it out with a polish. If that doesn't work to your satisfaction, I would suggest Dr. ColorChip. You can order it on line. I have a complete kit, just in case. Here is alink:

http://www.drcolorchip.com/
Old 1/27/11, 11:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
What John said! Good stuff
Old 1/27/11, 11:27 AM
Banned

Do I need to buff it out or anything? Or just use that stuff? I'm not really familiar. I was going to take it to a paint shop or something so I don't mess it up. It's only 1", white.

So mad.
Old 1/27/11, 12:21 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really hard to tell what to do without seeing the scratch. Have any pics?
Old 1/27/11, 12:32 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
In the past on several of my cars i have gotten some pretty bad looking scratches. I used 3M scratch remover (clear coat safe) and it removed all of the scratches.
Old 1/27/11, 12:37 PM
Cobra Member

BTW, since it's only 1", I think any good detailer around here could completely remove it without really breaking the bank.
Old 1/27/11, 12:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
BTW, since it's only 1", I think any good detailer around here could completely remove it without really breaking the bank.
Any decent ones you would recommend? I don't want someone messing it up.
Old 1/27/11, 01:25 PM
GT Member

You should use Quixx scratch remover. It has worked wonders on my black paint on my mustang. Just be sure to follow the directons to the T. You can buy it for around 15$ at Walmart. I have tried all the other scratch removers and this worked the best out of all of them. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 1/27/11, 01:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
Any decent ones you would recommend? I don't want someone messing it up.
I'll check with a friend of mine who has had a lot of paint work done and see who he would recommend.
Old 1/27/11, 02:08 PM
GTR Member

Can you put your fingernail in the scratch? If so, don't waste your time with the polish. Go straight for touch-up.

If you can't feel any indentation where the mark is, then it should buff out with one of the aforementioned products.
Old 1/28/11, 07:22 AM
Banned

Name:  IlSlK.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  503 BytesName:  MA26k.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  547.4 KB
Old 1/28/11, 09:11 AM
GT Member

Run your fingernail over it. If you can feel it then its thru to the panel. The picture looks like its thru the paint down to the panel. If it is in fact down to the panel, buy some Ford OEM touch up paint with the roller ball tip and fill it in to level it off. You will need a garage with 65 degree temps. minimum to do it right. Now if isnt thru the panel and just a scuff then be very careful in what type of scratch remover you use and how much pressure you use when applying. Black is not forgiving at all and it will show what direction you were rubbing after you removed the damage. I recommend finding a PRO Detailer in the area to perform a proper repair. The paint code should be UA. Good luck.

Last edited by ShowCar; 1/28/11 at 09:12 AM.
Old 1/28/11, 08:09 PM

If you can feel the indentation with a fingernail you normally can't polish it out as it's too deep. One of the guys recommended Dr. Color Chip and that's a good alternative. If you take it to a body shop they'll want to paint the whole panel and tint and blend into the next panel and that's expensive. I put a scratch in my 2010 GT and a professional detailer tried to take it out and he burned through the paint with a rotary buffer and that made it worse. He said he'd make it right and called a few other professionals for recommendations. I got a quote for $175.00 to just repair the scratch and tint and blend the damaged area only from a well know shop. This was a place that specializes in this type of repair for dealers as a dealer doesn't want to spend a lot of money on a car they're selling. I don't know how good it would be or if it would last as I went to a shop I've dealt with in the past and had the whole quarter panel refinished. The detailer did pay $175.00 based on the initial quote and I paid the rest for peace of mind. Another option would be to call some of the paintless dent repair outfits as some of them do minor scratch repair. Good luck!
Old 1/29/11, 02:10 PM
V6 Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_2071wt_939

I just bought this, but haven't applied it yet on a similar scratch (which I did myself). Best price I found.
Old 1/29/11, 06:36 PM
Banned

Ya phone your insurance company and tell them someone did it to your car! If you have full coverage they will cover the repair! I have done it!
Old 1/30/11, 06:36 PM
Banned

I don't want to dish out too much money and then someone messing it up even more. It's not THAT bad, but it does bug me. I don't want to raise my insurance so thats out of question.

How is dr. color chip? I dont want it to look obvious that it was touched up. I honestly feel like a permanent black marker would fix this. Thoughts?
Old 1/30/11, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
I don't want to dish out too much money and then someone messing it up even more. It's not THAT bad, but it does bug me. I don't want to raise my insurance so thats out of question.

How is dr. color chip? I dont want it to look obvious that it was touched up. I honestly feel like a permanent black marker would fix this. Thoughts?
Why would you think it would raise your insurance?? I did it and it certainly won't raise your insurance that's why you pay insurance in the first place!! What's the point in paying in every month I'd your not going to use it???
Old 1/30/11, 07:30 PM
GT Member

Looks deep. As mentioned above. Get ford oem paint with roller ball tip. Same as a pen basically. If you dont have a steady hand tape up the areas around the scratch so you dont mess up.
Old 1/31/11, 08:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2010GT
Looks deep. As mentioned above. Get ford oem paint with roller ball tip. Same as a pen basically. If you dont have a steady hand tape up the areas around the scratch so you dont mess up.
Is this what you're talking about?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_2071wt_939

I'm debating between that one and the drchip thing.

Quick Reply: How to deal with a 1" scratch?