Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Which hood lift kit to get?

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/10, 08:12 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grabberorange1
WHAT I DO SEE IS...your being a DICK! Since I don't have an '11 I can't see under the hood for comparison... I was just going off what their website says, and for reference for other guys with the OLD cars might like the option of these hood lift kits, since we do read these posts as well. Tony at CPC is a great guy, I'm sure they will fix this problem asap.
You are definitely misreading my intentions.

This is a 10+ forum, so I'm making sure that people with the '11 know that this kit does ot work.

If you notice I don't make any mention of not working on a '10 as i don't have one to compare. I do however have an '11.

You posted pictures and are recommended them 10+ cars by posting here, without realizing that they don't work for us with the '11. I don't expect anyone to know that they wouldn't considering that they are labeled to work.

I wasn't trying to beat a dead horse with the details either. I am pointing out the areas where it fits perfectly for earlier models, but where it differs on mine. See what I was getting at.

The post wasn't directed at you, it was directed at guys with the '11 that are considering this kit based off of recommendations like yours. Again, innocent on your part because you wouldn't know any different.

Unless of course you read my post earlier in this thread mentioning the exact same thing, just less detailed.

I only used your post for the pictures to point out the differences.

I have no issues with Cal Pony either. They assured me after seeing my pics that they do not fit and chocked it up as an oversight.

I didn't buy them direct, and the vendor I bought them from will issue me a refund as soon as they get there.

I literally found all of this it about 5 days before I posted, so its not common knowledge or anything.

Again, I think you must has misread me there.

Knk on the other hand clearly missed my point as well. Off topic, but I was pointing out that you are not going to get a positive response from them by blasting them out in public. Especially on a forum where they frequent. I even posted pics for you that you were looking for. I guess I didn't put enough sugar coating on my response for you.

Last edited by S197 GT; 12/9/10 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12/9/10, 09:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I'm curious... why did you choose to change to the MRTs? I was getting the impression that the only reason not to buy the Redlines was to avoid drilling. Since you already had them installed that wasn't an issue so what was the advantage to changing?
When the Redlines first came out (which was about 20 minutes before I bought them) the instructions had them mounted opposite of the way they do it now, so they stuck WAY out on the fender and made it difficult to get under the hood from the side. If you've seen the pictures of my engine you know I spend lots of time under the hood. The MRT's open the hood at least 6" higher than the way the Redlines used to. That might not be the case anymore. Also, I was awaiting the arrival of my SC hood, and I didn't want to drill that.

The question was also posed awhile ago about the lower mount on the MRT's rotating, and mine do. They are, however, fairly early production so they appear to have changed up the design a bit.
Old 12/10/10, 07:17 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I just received and installed the MRT set for my '11 GT/CS w/Ford hood scoop. Install was a dream as normal. Now, they do require a bit of upward lift to open the hood. It is much easier than without and they hold the hood open several inches more than the prop rod. I would rather have to gently lift the hood rather than having it open on its own. Even the hood springs on my '66 require one to "lift" the hood a certain amount. This is most likely to prevent one from being smacked in the chin when the hood opens.

I did have to relocate my sound tube...which was not mentioned in the instructions.

Last edited by AzPete; 12/10/10 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12/10/10, 09:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Pete, I'm lovin' your sig line......
Old 12/10/10, 11:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks....lol
Old 12/10/10, 12:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey S197GT I didn't ask you to sugar coat anything.I also didn't ask you for your opinion!I also didn't ask you to tell me what I should or should not post.

Your picture post does nothing for me.Understand this you do not have the 401a int upgrade.

Try to be a BULLY & tell others what they should post.

Who the HELL do you think you are?

Take your opinions & shove them where the sun don't shine!

I merely posted the truth period end of story if you or GP are offended by that it's your (their) problem not mine.

See the whole thing is they tried to sell me something that I knew looked incorrect & turns out I was 100% right.Much like the rant you posted about the CAL hood lift kit that doesn't fit the 2011's.

This maybe why they didn't answer my last e-mail because they knew I was on to the fact that the jam-nut was incorrect 401a int PERIOD!

Uh oh there he goes posting the truth again!Somebody should do something about this.Maybe I could try to flame him & he'll shut-up & go away.

WRONG AGAIN!Grabber was is also 100% correct in his assessment of you!

Last edited by knk11stang; 12/10/10 at 12:22 PM. Reason: add
Old 12/10/10, 12:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry knk11stang... if anyone comes across as a jackass in this thread, it's you. Come back and reread the thread after you've taken your medication and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 12/10/10 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12/10/10, 12:37 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Knk, PM sent, but lets keep this thread to the Hood struts and not ruin a decent thread with some good info in it.
Old 12/10/10, 12:39 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by Stinger1982
I feel the CDC kit is the best kit
Do you sell the CDC struts in black?
Old 12/10/10, 12:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Jcint
I got the Steeda hood struts ( with Steeda logo engraved) easy to install NO drilling and it comes with a kit for the 2011 to move the sound tube bracket.
Ours are also available without the Steeda logo on the bracket as well.

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-b...d-mustang.html
Old 12/10/10, 01:05 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Hey Gus, can you get them in black?

Any pics of the lower bracket?
Old 12/10/10, 02:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by S197 GT
Hey Gus, can you get them in black?

Any pics of the lower bracket?
Its only available in billet finishes.

Here is the lower bracket.

Old 12/10/10, 02:14 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Its only available in billet finishes.

Here is the lower bracket.

Thanks for the quick response. They look great, but I'm looking for something a little more subtle. If I get these, then I have to go all out with your entire billet lineup! LOL!
Old 12/10/10, 04:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Steeda has worked well for me.
Attached Thumbnails Which hood lift kit to get?-steeda-hood-strut-1.jpg  
Old 12/10/10, 05:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I cancelled my Calipony kit and ordered the MRT after I read about the 2010+ interference. MRT came today ... piece of cake to install and work perfect.

I moved my soundtube but not sure if I needed to ...

Old 12/13/10, 07:48 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the quick response. They look great, but I'm looking for something a little more subtle. If I get these, then I have to go all out with your entire billet lineup! LOL!

That's the idea isnt it? LOL
Old 1/13/11, 09:38 AM
GTR Member

I was looking at these again and I'm leaning towards the Redline kit. The Quicklift Plus is an all black kit, the Elite is a stainless version with a longer warranty. They're a bit cheaper than the CDC/MRT kits (at $85), but IMO, they look more factory than the others.

You do have to drill 3 holes on each side, but, is that really a huge deal?
Old 1/13/11, 10:07 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Originally Posted by Overboost
I was looking at these again and I'm leaning towards the Redline kit. The Quicklift Plus is an all black kit, the Elite is a stainless version with a longer warranty. They're a bit cheaper than the CDC/MRT kits (at $85), but IMO, they look more factory than the others.

You do have to drill 3 holes on each side, but, is that really a huge deal?
I feel it is a bog deal, if your conecerned about looking factory then drilling is the last think you want to do, as if and when you remove thme you now have no facotry holes, you then also open up the AL hood to corrosion (any one remember the third generation explorer hood corrosion debacle??!?!?!?!?).

For a hood strut kit I feel any "value" in the kits that require drilling (looks alittle cleaner etc) is FAR out weighed by the negatives

plus the cost is less then ~$50, thats NOTHING. The cost of hood repair (remote chance I know) is 100X what the difference in the kits cost

Last edited by Stinger1982; 1/13/11 at 10:09 AM.
Old 2/9/11, 06:50 AM

Same goes for 2010

Again, these are not made for the '11! I've not only come to this conclusion on my own, but I've also reaffirmed this with Cal Pony.

Sounds like they assumed it would fit.

Don't you see how the bracket has a "cork screw" bend that flows perfectly with your hood? That bend does not match up with underside of the hood on an '11.

Don't you see the 90* bend on the rear most section of said cork screw bend that also fits perfectly in the curvature of your hood? The hood on the '11 has a downward curve which the 90* bend digs into. This is the biggest issue with this kit on the '11.

Don't you see how flush your bracket sits against the hood? This bracket has a 1/2" gap from the point of the 90* bend all the way to the front of the bracket.

To be honest, its completely unacceptable for them to sell this kit as advertised for an '11 hood. I've not only spoken with them, but I've also emailed them and received confirmation back from them that they are mistakenly selling them as designed for an '11 hood.

These kits are obviously for sale still, so buyer beware!

Talked to Tony at CPC. Claimed my 2010 had a new hood design. Spent hours redrilling the mount to get first mount installed properly. The second was quick. Fit contour of hood perfectly. Hood closed.

NOT strong enough to hold hood up. Of course with the hood mount being moved forward almost an inch the hood didn't open far enough and the weight increased.

I liked the color match brackets.

Waiting to see if CPC does anything.
Old 2/9/11, 08:17 AM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by Bob2010Stang

Talked to Tony at CPC. Claimed my 2010 had a new hood design. Spent hours redrilling the mount to get first mount installed properly. The second was quick. Fit contour of hood perfectly. Hood closed.

NOT strong enough to hold hood up. Of course with the hood mount being moved forward almost an inch the hood didn't open far enough and the weight increased.

I liked the color match brackets.

Waiting to see if CPC does anything.
Good luck. I had to go to the guy I bought them from. CPC wouldn't do anything for me.

Quick Reply: Which hood lift kit to get?