2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Which hood lift kit to get?

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/10, 10:33 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Had MRT's on our '07 GT Vert with no issues. Just ordered a set of them for my '11 GT/CS. As said, easy install and no issues to remove when we sold the '07.
Old 12/7/10, 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcarames
Mod-shack does the bottom bracket move around any? I remember reading some people had some play with the bottom bracket. I don't know whether it wasnt sitting flush or what.
Mine doesn't. Solid as can be..

Old 12/7/10, 11:22 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MRT/CDC (which are the same) or Redline quick lifts (which require drilling).
Old 12/7/10, 01:35 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mdun6
i have the Redlines. Drilling is no big deal as long as your careful and take your time. Install only took abou a half hour.
I agree. Looks factory and really is not that hard to install. Did I say it looks factoy? The brackets you have to put on, well, not.
Old 12/7/10, 01:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The Redline Tuning site has some video clips showing what they call poorly designed lift kits - they don't seem to have enough support. The "poorly designed" kits look suspiciously like the CDC kit. Are they really that loosely supporting the hood? I think I would prefer something that I had to push to lower - just to be sure it wouldn't come down unless I wanted it to.
Old 12/7/10, 01:50 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The Redline Tuning site has some video clips showing what they call poorly designed lift kits - they don't seem to have enough support. The "poorly designed" kits look suspiciously like the CDC kit. Are they really that loosely supporting the hood? I think I would prefer something that I had to push to lower - just to be sure it wouldn't come down unless I wanted it to.
I've seen the CDC kit on several cars, and it supports the hood fine. Call it marketing hoopla. The Redline kit is a good choice as well. I've used them on previous cars with good luck. If you're competent with tools, you can do it no problem.
Old 12/7/10, 02:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The MRT's I had on my '07 were there for 36,000 miles, removed them and installed on a friends '05 GT about a year ago. Never any problems, even at car shows with some wind blowing. If I had a problem, I would not be re-ordering from them. As to the look......they look like they came with the car if someone was not familiar with the car to begin with. I like the bolt on feature.

In the end, it is your decision.
Old 12/7/10, 03:41 PM
GT Member

I want the lifts to work as a lift. From the vids I've seen the MRT's look like you need to get the hood 75% open before they lift. I'll just use the hood prop for that. The Redlines assist and hold the hood as they were designed to do.
Old 12/7/10, 04:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Thank you guys for posting the pics and input. I watched the redline comparison videos and the guy lifting the hood on the gt500 that looks like it's on a dyno with their own redline tuning kit helps the hood up about 75% before letting go and giving it the momentum it needed. When they tested what clearly said mrt hood lift kit the guy stopped helping the hood up much sooner at about 30% killing the momentum.
Old 12/7/10, 04:50 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by erickburke
I want the lifts to work as a lift. From the vids I've seen the MRT's look like you need to get the hood 75% open before they lift. I'll just use the hood prop for that. The Redlines assist and hold the hood as they were designed to do.
This is not the case with the MRTs. You barely open the hood and these will lift it and lift it very high I might add.

Very convenient for wrenching.
Old 12/7/10, 05:34 PM
GT Member

I like my NXT Generation lift from Cal Pony Cars, to me they look like they belong on the car, not a piece of angle iron holding the hood up....Their website says they fit '05-'11's. NO drill, 10 minute install.
http://www.calponycars.com/prodDetail.php?prodId=842

Pic of mine

Last edited by grabberorange1; 12/7/10 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12/7/10, 07:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by S197 GT
This is not the case with the MRTs. You barely open the hood and these will lift it and lift it very high I might add.

Very convenient for wrenching.
This is what I was getting at, it seems to me the comparison wasnt exactly fair since the guy was helping up the redline kitted hood but not so much the mrt one.
Old 12/7/10, 07:50 PM
GT Member

After reviewing the vids again, you guys are right. It does seem like an unfair test. My bad!
Old 12/7/10, 08:48 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by grabberorange1
I like my NXT Generation lift from Cal Pony Cars, to me they look like they belong on the car, not a piece of angle iron holding the hood up....Their website says they fit '05-'11's. NO drill, 10 minute install.
Again, these are not made for the '11! I've not only come to this conclusion on my own, but I've also reaffirmed this with Cal Pony.

Sounds like they assumed it would fit.

Don't you see how the bracket has a "cork screw" bend that flows perfectly with your hood? That bend does not match up with underside of the hood on an '11.

Don't you see the 90* bend on the rear most section of said cork screw bend that also fits perfectly in the curvature of your hood? The hood on the '11 has a downward curve which the 90* bend digs into. This is the biggest issue with this kit on the '11.

Don't you see how flush your bracket sits against the hood? This bracket has a 1/2" gap from the point of the 90* bend all the way to the front of the bracket.

To be honest, its completely unacceptable for them to sell this kit as advertised for an '11 hood. I've not only spoken with them, but I've also emailed them and received confirmation back from them that they are mistakenly selling them as designed for an '11 hood.

These kits are obviously for sale still, so buyer beware!
Old 12/8/10, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

I've already missed the boat with these, as the prop rod has scratched the black plastic where it sits. It would look silly to have that, and no prop rod...
Old 12/8/10, 09:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Pic of my CDC's

Old 12/9/10, 09:53 AM
Bullitt Member

For what it's worth, I've got a set of Redlines sitting in my garage (polished / stainless) for $50. If interested I need to know soon as I will only be home for a couple of days at the beginning of next week. They were on the car for about 6 months before I saw the MRT's.
Old 12/9/10, 12:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dread53
For what it's worth, I've got a set of Redlines sitting in my garage (polished / stainless) for $50. If interested I need to know soon as I will only be home for a couple of days at the beginning of next week. They were on the car for about 6 months before I saw the MRT's.
I'm curious... why did you choose to change to the MRTs? I was getting the impression that the only reason not to buy the Redlines was to avoid drilling. Since you already had them installed that wasn't an issue so what was the advantage to changing?
Old 12/9/10, 06:06 PM
GT Member

Again, these are not made for the '11! I've not only come to this conclusion on my own, but I've also reaffirmed this with Cal Pony.

Don't you see how the bracket has a "cork screw" bend that flows perfectly with your hood? That bend does not match up with underside of the hood on an '11.

Don't you see the 90* bend on the rear most section of said cork screw bend that also fits perfectly in the curvature of your hood? The hood on the '11 has a downward curve which the 90* bend digs into. This is the biggest issue with this kit on the '11.

Don't you see how flush your bracket sits against the hood? This bracket has a 1/2" gap from the point of the 90* bend all the way to the front of the bracket.

To be honest, its completely unacceptable for them to sell this kit as advertised for an '11 hood. I've not only spoken with them, but I've also emailed them and received confirmation back from them that they are mistakenly selling them as designed for an '11 hood.

WHAT I DO SEE IS...your being a DICK! Since I don't have an '11 I can't see under the hood for comparison... I was just going off what their website says, and for reference for other guys with the OLD cars might like the option of these hood lift kits, since we do read these posts as well. Tony at CPC is a great guy, I'm sure they will fix this problem asap.
Old 12/9/10, 07:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grabberorange1
WHAT I DO SEE IS...your being a DICK! Since I don't have an '11 I can't see under the hood for comparison... I was just going off what their website says, and for reference for other guys with the OLD cars might like the option of these hood lift kits, since we do read these posts as well. Tony at CPC is a great guy, I'm sure they will fix this problem asap.

Hey grabber I do believe you are 100% correct!Check out my run in with this same (what you said) in this post.Seems a lttle contradictory if you ask me!
Here is a link to the post I'm referring to. https://themustangsource.com/f726/cu...489178/index3/

CHECK IT OUT!I think this guy has issues!

Quick Reply: Which hood lift kit to get?