Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Hmmm...Boss or GT Track Pack w Recaros?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12/12/12, 07:52 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm...Boss or GT Track Pack w Recaros?!?

Ok, so the new gig I had an offer from froze due to budget issues, which makes my Boss purchase a bit harder. I'm looking at all options and found a GT with Track Pack and Recaros (though they don't have the Alcantara like on the Boss) for thousands less than I could get a Boss.

I know what I want, I still want the Boss, but those of you with experience with either or both, does the GT with track pack and recaros give me 8/10 of the Boss for thousands less? May be easier to convince the wife of that.

Minus of course the legendary Boss brand, quad exhausts, and a few other intangibles.

Thoughs?

Thanks!
Old 12/12/12, 08:12 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a 2012 Boss 302. I had oil consumption issues with the car so I got rid of it. I had intended on replacing with a 2013 Boss but instead picked up a GHIG Trackpack with Recaro seats base GT. I'm loving the car!! Saved myself a ton of dough after the rebates / incentives.

That said... the wife and kids still have not forgiven me for getting rid of the Boss.
Old 12/12/12, 09:58 AM
V6 Member

I'm in the same area as you, shopping for the same car (and also drive a Scooby right now) - from what I can tell a Track Pack GT w/ Recaros can be had for almost $15k less than any local Boss. That's a lot of cash for a little more track performance and the Boss badge cache.

Ironically, a GT configured like that is actually harder to locate than a Boss around here. What other options are you looking for (base/premium int, electronics, etc)?

The TP GT already has way, way more performance potential than you can/will/should ever realize on the street. Hell, the plain Brembo GT does too, though the TP 3.73 gears make a notable difference in driving feel (more aggressive, obviously). So, as to whether the GT gives you 8/10 of a Boss? Well, by objective performance, I'm sure it certainly does - especially on the street. Subjectively? It's a lot harder to say; if you want to be able to walk around saying you drive a Boss 302, and have people notice it, then no, the GT isn't going to give you that, no matter how "close" it is.
Old 12/12/12, 10:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
My 2012 gt with brembo pkg and 3.73s is as close as I could afford to get. It's no boss but it is a **** good car. If I could have afforded the boss, I would have bought it. I don't think the performance difference is much but a boss is magic.

Last edited by Mr. V; 12/12/12 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12/12/12, 10:54 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SennaF1
I'm in the same area as you, shopping for the same car (and also drive a Scooby right now) - from what I can tell a Track Pack GT w/ Recaros can be had for almost $15k less than any local Boss. That's a lot of cash for a little more track performance and the Boss badge cache.

Ironically, a GT configured like that is actually harder to locate than a Boss around here. What other options are you looking for (base/premium int, electronics, etc)?

The TP GT already has way, way more performance potential than you can/will/should ever realize on the street. Hell, the plain Brembo GT does too, though the TP 3.73 gears make a notable difference in driving feel (more aggressive, obviously). So, as to whether the GT gives you 8/10 of a Boss? Well, by objective performance, I'm sure it certainly does - especially on the street. Subjectively? It's a lot harder to say; if you want to be able to walk around saying you drive a Boss 302, and have people notice it, then no, the GT isn't going to give you that, no matter how "close" it is.
probably this.
Old 12/12/12, 11:31 AM
Bullitt Member

If you have your heart set about the boss and could comfortably swing the monthly note, don't be a part of the regret club.

It would have been nice to have a Boss but deep down I knew the GT would ultimately be the better fit both economically and fun factor wise. It's a lot harder to 'settle' and then trade up 1-2 yrs in a 4 or 5 yr loan.
Old 12/12/12, 11:59 AM
Banned

Get a boss.

When everyone poops themselves over the 2015 stang ( I may be part of that crowd ) I'm gonna try to pick up a '13 boss and sell my car. I love the boss so much and I would choose it any day over the gt500 I like the boss so much lol

If it's not financially possible, then don't dig your own grave, but if you can manage then go for it. I got exactly what I wanted and paid a little more than I wanted but I'm 100% satisfied, so you go and do the same!
Old 12/12/12, 12:01 PM
GT Member

I'd say if you're leaving the car stock get the boss, if you're going to modify get the GT TP

Also consider how often you'll drive the car and how long you intend to own it. If your going to drive 15k/yr and sell it in 5yrs I'd say get the GT

Last edited by Tapakegovagnaps; 12/12/12 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12/12/12, 12:06 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB

That said... the wife and kids still have not forgiven me for getting rid of the Boss.
Guess they like you better as the Boss than the GrunT.

Old 12/12/12, 01:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Boss 302 is great if you are a track junkie and/or need the bragging rights. Other than that, a GT with Track Package should be more than enough.
Old 12/12/12, 01:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GRN 5OH
Boss 302 is great if you are a track junkie and/or need the bragging rights. Other than that, a GT with Track Package should be more than enough.
It is also an opportunity to get into a future collectable at the ground floor.

All depends on your situation and your outlook.
Old 12/12/12, 02:08 PM
GT Member

Hell I wish I could buy the BOSS or the Shelby GT500 on A plan but they arent offering.
Old 12/12/12, 02:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I am definately super happy with the GT T/P Recaro car. It has a lot of the same parts and is an intake tune and exhaust from being in the same performance ballpark for thousands less. I'm keeping mine forever. Keep the stickers and forged internals. I tend to put more weight on the fiscal to fun bragging rights numbers.
Old 12/12/12, 03:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was dead set on a boss. didn't look at a gt or even consider it. looking at them now it is a nice way to save some money. But i wouldn't do anything differently if i could.
Old 12/12/12, 08:33 PM
V6 Member

Thanks all, all great comments. My car nut buddies, basically said the same thing, don't regret NOT getting a Boss if I can swing it. I've been yapping about it since before it came out.

I can likely swing it, but trying to stay the responsible husband/father...though part of it is convincing the wife, lol. She knows I haven't been this obsessed with a car since the STI (which, like the STI, I plan on tracking my next car too).

I know I want the Boss, I want it for the performance and having part of that legendary brand. Though I know the Tpack with Recaros would still do wonders on the track and save me almost 10K. Decisions decisions.
Old 12/12/12, 08:52 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
As my wife (read: MY Boss!) says...'rich mans problems!'. Whatever you get, enjoy it, track it, wash it, love it. Please post up pics. Good luck!
Old 12/12/12, 10:44 PM

If the Boss is really what you want, then get the Boss. If you buy the GT with T/P and Recaros, you're probably going to wish you had gotten the Boss in the first place. If cost is your concern, you will lose money on the GT later on if you decide to trade it in for a Boss. Just get the Boss and in the long run you will have gotten what you wanted to begin with.
Old 12/13/12, 02:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Nawambo
Though I know the Tpack with Recaros would still do wonders on the track and save me almost 10K.
Just throw a Paxton s/c on the GT for 7K and you're seriously kicking the Boss's butt.
Old 12/13/12, 05:16 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

What he said^^^^^^^^.
Old 12/13/12, 05:48 AM
Cobra Member

I think you have to get what u really want unless it is gonna put u in the poor house. I came from a Sti as well, and was obsessed with the boss since it was released. For me, it was either a new boss, a used 2011-12 gt500 or wait for the new Sti. In that order. I'm soooo glad I got this car.

Quick Reply: Hmmm...Boss or GT Track Pack w Recaros?!?