2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Hit a Stupid Deer Tonight

Search this Thread

Old 9/13/10, 09:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
that SUCKS! I've had several close calls with squirrels out here in So Cal. The little bastard jump right into the wheels
Squirrels and rabbits here make suicidal dashes directly into your front tires around here on the East Coast all the time. Fortunately I've never sustained any damage from those Inconsiderate Bastards.
Old 9/13/10, 09:42 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Squirrels and rabbits here make suicidal dashes directly into your front tires around here on the East Coast all the time. Fortunately I've never sustained any damage from those Inconsiderate Bastards.
Yup thats what I'm talking about. Its like they time it. When its clear for them to go they're frozen stiff. As soon as you get close they make the dive. Is it a depth perception issue?
Old 9/13/10, 10:13 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Armadillos have been known to get so scared and panicked by an approaching car that they will jump straight up in the air. So instead of rolling over it with the bottom splitter or tires they end up in your grill and radiator or even worse the windshield.

I've never hit a 'stupid' deer before. I did however hit a smart one once. I could tell because he carried a slide rule in his pocket protector.

Sorry about your damage. Thankfully you were not hurt.
Old 9/13/10, 10:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Good luck with your repairs.
Old 9/13/10, 10:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Sorry about your car...did it drive ok after hit? if so then hood and fender replacement,can't be to bad...if insurance will pay

Kinda hope the deers not out there right now,hurting (if doe would be bad for her fawns)
Old 9/14/10, 06:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Yup thats what I'm talking about. Its like they time it. When its clear for them to go they're frozen stiff. As soon as you get close they make the dive. Is it a depth perception issue?
No, they are trying to make you crash. Haven't you seen the Geico commercial?
Old 9/14/10, 08:45 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. In Tennessee, we have a 'road kill' law. You can eat anything killed (animals) by your car. I don't like to eat deers but i do love to eat cows. LOL!!!

Last edited by David Young; 9/15/10 at 01:45 PM.
Old 9/14/10, 09:17 AM
Bullitt Member

I know you are anxious to start modding your car. But this is a little much dont you think

Glad it wasnt to bad an noone got hurt
Old 9/14/10, 09:23 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Question: If you had indeed taken out the deer, can you keep it and make venison?

*looks around at the disbelieving crowd*
Absolutely you can.
The problem is you have a limited ammount of time to field dress it before the meat gets tainted.

I know a lot of cops that have a quick-call list.
"call me if you get a 'deer-call"
Old 9/14/10, 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to see that happen. We had just owned our Toyota Highlander for a couple months when one jumped in front of me from a blind drop-off to my right. NO time to react. Peripheral vision didn't pick up the deer until it was too late. $3,750 worth of damage. Luckily, just body panels, grill, nothing structural. They'll do a number on your car.
Old 9/14/10, 09:41 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry man, but you're okay and ultimately thats the goal. Cars are easier to fix than humans. Deer concerns will now be on the upswing. This is the time of year they start making many more appearances than normal. We have a ton around me and this time of year I reduce the speed by at least 10 from my norm in attempt to avoid their furry asses. Your car will be fine.
Old 9/14/10, 09:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Thanks to all for your encouragement. My appointment for an estimate is tomorrow morning at 0800, and I’ll provide an update with the estimate total amount after that. The car will indeed be fine – just a flesh wound (sheet metal hood & fender, plus grille & bumper), nothing structural. Will look into adding on painted stripes whilst I am at it. J

Yes I am saddened about the deer, but there isn’t much to do about it now.

If I’d not been on alert and managed to hit the brakes & slow a little, it could have been much worse. No telling what the damage could have been if I plowed into that thing doing 40-50 with my foot on the gas.
Old 9/14/10, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

That sucks man, good luck with the estimate! I've had 2 experiences with deer and driving... thankfully got lucky both times. Had a mule deer jump right in front of me in my Thunderbird in the mountains of SoCal... breaks, car placement, and luck saved that one. Had a deer hop right in front of my Cobra and stop the day I picked it up, spotted her before she jumped so I was already slowing down.
Old 9/14/10, 11:14 AM
GT Member

Sorry to hear about this, makes me sick.

Please do keep us upadated on the estimate, I'm curious to know what they do with it.
Old 9/14/10, 01:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry about this but it could always have been worse. And at least you are helping to thin out the stupid ones from the deer gene pool. The smarter ones don't jump in front of cars.
Old 9/14/10, 01:59 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Question: If you had indeed taken out the deer, can you keep it and make venison?
*looks around at the disbelieving crowd*
What? It's a valid question, I figure.
/Venison sausage is tasty.
//Wouldn't sacrifice the car for it, though.
///Hm... maybe a "beater."
////Gives a new meaning for the term, yeah?
In my state, hitting deer and moose is quite common.
One of my co-workers hit a deer at the next town over.
It was killed.
The police got the fish and game dept. to OK his taking it home.
Old 9/14/10, 03:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Deer aren't very smart, I know people who didn't even hit the deer. The deer hit them on the driver side door. They just get panicky and do stupid stuff, not unlike people really, just with more stupid. Slowing down helps, but there will always be some risk of hitting a deer, or being hit by one.
Old 9/14/10, 04:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

When you car is fixed and like new again, you might want to think about taking an alternative route to get back home at night. I do it everytime i have to drive back home the 'Stang at night.
D'ont know if it's possible in your case though.
Old 9/14/10, 04:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Lancel
Deer aren't very smart, I know people who didn't even hit the deer. The deer hit them on the driver side door. They just get panicky and do stupid stuff, not unlike people really, just with more stupid. Slowing down helps, but there will always be some risk of hitting a deer, or being hit by one.
Know what you mean, every day on my daily commute, i see something dead lying on the side of the road, sometimes deers, skunks, racoons. Deers are you're worst enemy at night, they come out of nowhere just like Japanese Kamikasee planes.
Old 9/14/10, 05:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
When you car is fixed and like new again, you might want to think about taking an alternative route to get back home at night. I do it everytime i have to drive back home the 'Stang at night.
D'ont know if it's possible in your case though.
Oh yes, I'll be taking a slightly longer way home from now on that goes through slightly less deer. But it's all woody and swampy around here, so it's tough to completely miss them. My next-door neighbor, who also works where I do, confirmed tonight that he's hit at least 5 deer within the past 5 years (& one of those hit HIM!). With my 'vert serving as at least my fair-weather DD and working in middle of nowhere at the nuclear power station, I'd say I am likely to have another deer encounter within the next 5 yrs.

One bit of good news: my insurer has agreed to pay for OEM sheet metal replacements.

GOOD NEWS: Looked at it in the light of day today, and there's no structural damage at all. It's just the hood, the left front fender, and then everything plastic forward of the radiator (grille, bumper, trim, etc) and driver's side fog light. That's about it. I predict the worst of this will be waiting for ordered parts to come in, considering my replacement airbag module took my dealer THREE WEEKS to get.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 9/14/10 at 06:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Hit a Stupid Deer Tonight