Sponsored By:

hit a curb :(

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/11, 05:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hit a curb :(

Hey Guys,

Well I just hit a curb with my rear rim....I wasn't even expecting the car to kick out the rear like it did...its almost as if the traction control decided not to kick in...

the rim isn't bad, just a little curbage on the lip...but my rear axle is defiantly not aligned....the passenger side wheel is sitting out further than the drivers side....

how much damage could have been done? car still drives fine...but im super pissed at how stupid it looks right now...I don't car about the rim as that can be fixed...but the rear axle is freaking me out...I want to take it to the dealer but I know they won't cover it under warrenty and im scared at how much it will be to fix...I took a look under the car, and the axle still seems straight...it just seems as though it has shifted....can they realign it?

any suggestions??

Last edited by LLZuB; 8/9/11 at 05:28 PM.
Old 8/9/11, 05:48 PM

I'm pretty sure its not centered from factory.
Old 8/9/11, 05:52 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Normally one side will stick out farther from the factory. If this bugs you and you want to fix it, buy an adjustable panhard bar. If you hit hard enough to actually mess it up, you'd most likely have other issues. If it drives fine, just buy yourself the adjustable panhard bar and you'll be GTG.

Edit: here's the one I got: http://www.spohn.net/shop/2005-2008-...-Bushings.html

Last edited by 05GT-O.C.D.; 8/9/11 at 05:56 PM.
Old 8/9/11, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

no...but its very noticible...like my drivers side i can fit 3 fingers between tire and fender, while the passenger side is basically aligned with the fender...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Im hoping all I did was bend the panhard bar

Last edited by LLZuB; 8/9/11 at 06:12 PM.
Old 8/9/11, 06:11 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by LLZuB
no...but its very noticible...like my drivers side i can fit 3 fingers between tire and fender, while the passenger side is basically aligned with the fender...
Stock wheels and tires? Stock suspension?

Last edited by 05GT-O.C.D.; 8/9/11 at 06:14 PM.
Old 8/9/11, 06:13 PM
I lust for a M24

And I assume that the wheel w/ the curb rash is the wheel that's almost flush, correct?

(the opposite side is sticking out, right?)
Old 8/9/11, 06:17 PM
Bullitt Member

stock wheels, stock suspension

the wheel with the curb rash is the one thats pushed in (drivers side)

the one thats flush with the fender is the opposite side
Old 8/9/11, 06:21 PM
I lust for a M24

I see you uploaded pics. I see why you're concerned, but it's hard to tell if anything's actually damaged or knocked out of place. I still kind of doubt it, unless you know for absolutely certain that it wasn't that way before. If it was my car, I'd put an adjustable panhard bar on it, center the axle (w/ the panhard bar adjustment) and get an alignment if there was any uneven tire wear. Good luck!
Old 8/9/11, 06:24 PM
Bullitt Member

thanks man, ill try and make a trip out to steeda this weekend and grab one
Old 8/9/11, 06:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

You may have bent a LCA or something of that nature to have the body that much shifted on one side since the stock panhard rod is non-adjustable.
I would have a look under the car just to make sure you didn't damage any of the suspension gear. Keep us posted.
Old 8/9/11, 08:09 PM

Maybe drive safely within your limits? I did something like that once but it was 20 times worse. I totalled the first car I bought unfortunately while doing some "spirited" driving. Biggest mistake of my life and I lost about 5 grand in the ordeal. Needless to say I am way more careful now and drive with in my limits.

Good luck with the repairs.
Old 8/9/11, 08:40 PM
Cobra Member

How did the wheel hit the curb? I don't see any damage in the photo.
Did the car slide sideways and hit, or did it "jump" the curb?
Does it make any noise while driving?
Drive for awhile and feel if the rim is getting extremely hot.
Slide up under the rear with a flashlight and look for any obvious damage.
Old 8/9/11, 09:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Recently I was driving and made a turn and the car just lost it. The tail end came around quite fast unexpectedly. It was as if I was on oil. The road was wet but I was not speeding. I drove all winter in snow and icy roads and AdvanceTrac always worked in the background keeping things in order. I was so lucky not to hit anything.

I lost it in my V6 driving normal and I get my 03 cobra sideways often and never lost it. Yes my pride was hurt a bit but I laughed it off right away. I really think AdvanceTrac was not active although I have no indicator on the dash. I discovered that the front wheel hubs are bad due to the noise from the bearings. Also the car trammels quite extreme. This may affect the ABS sensors which works with AdvanceTrac. Going to have that services in a few hours.
Old 8/9/11, 11:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

IN a sick sort of way I still want a new Mustang. So I go to my dealer. I test drive a new Gt and it shifts as good as you could expect. No gripes here what so ever.

I pull in the service manager and he tells me the problems are due to people who dont know how to drive a manual.

I referre him to this thread. He had no idea about the investigation. Another clueless Ford dealer. This is common and not the exception. These people should be fired.
long story short I will not be buying a new one. IM angry, disappointed and just basically let down. Ford, you can do b etter than this.

Edit

I will b e keeping my old mach 1 and will drive it till it drops. The shifts are to this day preditable but not perfect. Ford had let me down and I will not touch one for sometime.

Last edited by 3Mach1; 8/9/11 at 11:18 PM.
Old 8/10/11, 04:48 AM
Bullitt Member

uhh...I dunno what this has to do with the manual tranny...but ok? lol

Honestly, I wasn't driving fast (I was stopped at a red light and then took a right turn from a dead stop)...I really think the tires were just cold, and slid more than I expected them too for that simple fact..

The damage to the rim is on the outer lip, just some curbage, no dents or scrapes anywhere else other then the edge of the lip...it wasn't that hard of a hit to be honest

The car hit the curb sidways, I didn't jump the curb of anything, more of a love tap to the curb i guess lol...I was pissed...but at the same time, I knew it could have been a lot worst...and I was able to drive away from it and get my car home...I havent heard any noises yet...but I'll take it out for a short drive after work today and see if i notice anything out of the ordinary and jack it up and take a look
Old 8/10/11, 08:38 AM
GT Member

Hey Guys,

Well I just hit a curb with my rear rim....I wasn't even expecting the car to kick out the rear like it did...its almost as if the traction control decided not to kick in...

the rim isn't bad, just a little curbage on the lip...but my rear axle is defiantly not aligned....the passenger side wheel is sitting out further than the drivers side....

how much damage could have been done? car still drives fine...but im super pissed at how stupid it looks right now...I don't car about the rim as that can be fixed...but the rear axle is freaking me out...I want to take it to the dealer but I know they won't cover it under warrenty and im scared at how much it will be to fix...I took a look under the car, and the axle still seems straight...it just seems as though it has shifted....can they realign it?

any suggestions??
It's just an alignment, your local shop will fix it for like $80?
Old 8/10/11, 08:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Was it sticking out before the curb hit? Sounds like more than a PHB. Something's not right....that's out big-time.
Old 8/10/11, 09:55 AM
Bullitt Member

on a side note...

think theres anyway to get it warrentied?
Old 8/10/11, 10:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

on a side note...

think theres anyway to get it warrentied?
Don't know about "warrentied"... but there's a 0% chance of it being warrantied.
Old 8/10/11, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

lol thanks

Quick Reply: hit a curb :(