2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

High rpm lockout

Search this Thread

Old 8/21/18, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High rpm lockout

Hey guys, I have a 2013 mustang with boss manifold, JLT intake, BBK LTH and catless mid pipe with stage 3 cam and a hurst short throw shifter. After having manifold and cam installation and having it professionally tuned at a shop called Powercurve motorsports in NC, I cannot get my car into gear at high rpms. It gets stuck anywhere over the stock redline (mine is about 7500 rpm now) and it takes literally a couple of seconds to shift. Any advice on this issue? Should I go with a blowfish bracket or go back to the stock shifter?
Old 8/21/18, 09:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
If your on the stock clutch your going to have that problem in the higher RPM range.
Old 8/21/18, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by dusman59
If your on the stock clutch your going to have that problem in the higher RPM range.
i have the stock clutch. My pedal also sticks to the floor at high rpm so i was looking at hydraulic throwout bearings. Do you think replacing the clutch with maybe an exedy one with the throwout bearing should fix these issues?
Old 8/21/18, 02:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
There are plenty of people that have the same issue you have. I have read that an after market clutch can fix. Make sure you do extensive research on brands and types. Some for street driving can be over kill and cause problems like noise and vibrations. Watch your brands as some complaints have been noted. The install can be tricky. I have the stock clutch and have not had any problems up to 6k RPM's. With stock Coyote internals that is safe. Otherwise you could be dealing with a lit stick of dynamite .
Old 8/21/18, 07:54 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Have you tried taking out the clutch pedal assist spring? The spring gives too much assist in some cases causing the pedal to stick to the floor under high rpm shifts. Many have taken out the spring claiming it gives better clutch feel, others have replaced the spring with a weaker after market spring to get better feel without losing all of the assist. It is worth a try to see if it solves the pedal sticking at high rpms.
Old 8/25/18, 08:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...your going to need an after market better clutch to address the lockout. That's just the way it is with these silly oem Brazilian sourced pressure plates.
Old 10/22/18, 07:43 PM

thank you all for responding to my post I'm sorry I was late to reply. Do you have any suggestions for a specific clutch, flywheel, and throwout bearing kit? I was looking at the Mcleod street extreme clutch and exedy stage 3 clutch kit.
Old 2/3/20, 06:55 PM

South Bend Stage 3 twin disc lockout at 6000+rpm 1st into second.

Recently my friends and I installed a twin disc South bend clutch stage 3 really high quality kit. Cannot say how impressed I was with the materials and overall product. Though it seems since doing that I'm getting lock out first to second and it definitely feels clutch-related. I'm hoping it's just linkage or maybe synchros. Has anyone who has had this problem checked their synchros? I would think that could be a explanation but it's weird because when shifting it does feel like the clutch is not engaged but it's a brand new clutch and I have no problems at any other moment with the clutch other than shifting first into second at high RPM. I will probably replace the linkage in hopes of fixing the problems but will probably end up pulling the bell housing and realigning everything and checking.
Old 2/3/20, 08:00 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

A lot of the lock out problems were related the remote mounted shifter on the MT82 not the clutch. The transmission would torque under load and cause a misalignment between it and the shifter causing lock out and hard shifting. The common fixes for the issue were after market shifters, blow fish bracket and poly mount bushings. You said that you switched the clutch but did not mention any other transmission related mods. There are lots of threads on shifting issues if you search around.
Old 2/4/20, 06:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 1,020 Posts
I think it is also related to the clutch assist spring; one cure is to remove that spring or substitute a softer one, which is available from Steeda and others; if I remember correctly

try a few searches in the relevant sub-forums and hopefully you will find the previous threads with all of the details
Old 2/4/20, 07:33 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

The softer clutch spring or removing the clutch spring usually helps when the clutch sticks to the floor under high rpm shifting.
Old 2/5/20, 06:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by EF1
Have you tried taking out the clutch pedal assist spring? The spring gives too much assist in some cases causing the pedal to stick to the floor under high rpm shifts. Many have taken out the spring claiming it gives better clutch feel, others have replaced the spring with a weaker after market spring to get better feel without losing all of the assist. It is worth a try to see if it solves the pedal sticking at high rpms.
Originally Posted by EF1
The softer clutch spring or removing the clutch spring usually helps when the clutch sticks to the floor under high rpm shifting.
yep, I see you said that before, a while back . . . I didn't scroll up . . . .scrolling up is an important skill that we should all try to remember to practice, LOL
Old 2/5/20, 08:30 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

No worries, we are all just trying to help Joker.
Old 2/7/20, 08:45 AM

Thanks for all the help today we are putting long tubes on and will change tranny fluid with the dealer fluid as well as replace stock shift bushing with pedders bushing I've heard that helps. Also ordered MGW x spec flastick praying that solves shifting issues but I have a feeling it is synchro related. Im only getting locked out st around 6000 rpm and with second gear. I don't drive the car hard so id be surprised if the synchros have had wear already but I will check fluid for shavings and let everyone know. I will give the clutch spring a shot but the pedal is fine its just locking me out when shifting 1st-2nd at roughly 5500-6000 rpm and downshifting 3rd-2nd from roughly 4000 rpm. I think the fluid will help a lot. I have read about clutch lag but id be surprised if a twin disc south bend clutch with 3000 miles is already going bad. Also I highly recommend this clutch very smooth and good quality.