2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Help me figure out my exhaust issue

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/14, 08:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Help me figure out my exhaust issue

Okay. Where do I begin?

Last year I had decided to go with a JBA h-pipe and cat delete, well long story short i didn't research to find out how crappy JBA stuff can be and the known fitment issues.

Well i had a tough time doing the install myself so i took it to a local shop where my family knew the guy, since its not a major mod i figured whatever. I guess they had some trouble with it as well but managed to get it on.

One thing i started to notice is a sound from inside the car while driving, happens more in the higher gears (since i have an auto when casually driving the car goes through the motions into 5th). I would almost call it an exhaust leak but it almost has the tone of an intake. At this point i've tried my best to seal all the joints with better clamps, but still to no avail.

I'm almost getting to the point where i should just pick up some long tubes and another x or h pipe and call it done but i would rather just figure this crap out.

I don't have any other better videos i will work on that today to help out.

this is from last year. i think before i did any of the modding of the connections.

Old 6/9/14, 08:36 AM
Cobra R Member

i should also note that it took it by a local dyno shop that does a lot of mustang work and had the guy listen to me rev it a few times and he said its not a leak. It just might be the pipes resonating....
Old 6/9/14, 09:01 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait, you had an exhaust shop install it, then had a Mustang shop look at it and tell you it isn't a leak and you don't believe them?

No way anyone here is going to be able to tell you any different by listening to a video clip.

If it is an exhaust leak then any competent exhaust shop should be able to find it and fix it.
Old 6/9/14, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
That sounds like a Collector Tick. I have had this on all of my cars that had long tube headers with smaller exhaust pipes.

Get the Ford Racing duals all the way back should fix the issue.

Last edited by Jazzman442; 6/9/14 at 09:06 AM.
Old 6/9/14, 09:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Wait, you had an exhaust shop install it, then had a Mustang shop look at it and tell you it isn't a leak and you don't believe them?

No way anyone here is going to be able to tell you any different by listening to a video clip.

If it is an exhaust leak then any competent exhaust shop should be able to find it and fix it.
wasn't an exhaust shop, just a shop that does auto work.
Old 6/9/14, 09:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
That sounds like a Collector Tick. I have had this on all of my cars that had long tube headers with smaller exhaust pipes.

Get the Ford Racing duals all the way back should fix the issue.
But i don't have long tubes, i have the stock headers.
Old 6/9/14, 09:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I wonder if the extra noise is due to exhaust gases passing by the thinner wall of the JBA H pipe. I had this issues on my GP with a downpipe.
Old 6/9/14, 09:39 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
What size of the pipes are the JBA?
Old 6/9/14, 09:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Blown CS
I wonder if the extra noise is due to exhaust gases passing by the thinner wall of the JBA H pipe. I had this issues on my GP with a downpipe.
maybe? cause everything is pretty sealed up, the only thing i haven't been able to check is the seal at the header to cat delete.

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
What size of the pipes are the JBA?
3"
Old 6/9/14, 09:54 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmurer
Okay. Where do I begin?

Last year I had decided to go with a JBA h-pipe and cat delete, well long story short i didn't research to find out how crappy JBA stuff can be and the known fitment issues.

Well i had a tough time doing the install myself so i took it to a local shop where my family knew the guy, since its not a major mod i figured whatever. I guess they had some trouble with it as well but managed to get it on.

One thing i started to notice is a sound from inside the car while driving, happens more in the higher gears (since i have an auto when casually driving the car goes through the motions into 5th). I would almost call it an exhaust leak but it almost has the tone of an intake. At this point i've tried my best to seal all the joints with better clamps, but still to no avail.

I'm almost getting to the point where i should just pick up some long tubes and another x or h pipe and call it done but i would rather just figure this crap out.

I don't have any other better videos i will work on that today to help out.

this is from last year. i think before i did any of the modding of the connections.

GOPR0003 - YouTube
the one area I would focus on IS, what did they have a hard time with as well? You mentioned that they did get it on eventually... That could be a starting point for you to diagnose and start from, if you aren't interested in replacing components of your exhaust that you had put on.

usually, bolt-on's are straight forward and just fit right into place. Maybe, this is what your problem may be.... try to figure out what it is that gave them grief. maybe the leak or resonating sound is coming from that.
Old 6/9/14, 09:59 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
the one area I would focus on IS, what did they have a hard time with as well? You mentioned that they did get it on eventually... That could be a starting point for you to diagnose and start from, if you aren't interested in replacing components of your exhaust that you had put on.

usually, bolt-on's are straight forward and just fit right into place. Maybe, this is what your problem may be.... try to figure out what it is that gave them grief. maybe the leak or resonating sound is coming from that.
I was having issues with the bolts where the headers met the cats, they are pretty tough to get too and since i was only working with jacks it was hard to get leverage to break them free. I guess they had gotten all but one that was just impossible to get for them so they took an air chisel to the bolt since it was being replaced with ones that came with the kit. I wonder if that process did something to the header flange...maybe a tiny bend? But looking at the joint it looks pretty level and sealed but i could be wrong.
Old 6/9/14, 09:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
When I had my 03, I could hear the air rushing through the pipes right under the cabin. I always thought I had an exhaust leak too but I had the car jacked up with it running and couldn't feel nor hear anything. I just learned to live with it. I had the Bassani catted X on there btw...
Old 6/9/14, 10:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was having issues with the bolts where the headers met the cats, they are pretty tough to get too and since i was only working with jacks it was hard to get leverage to break them free. I guess they had gotten all but one that was just impossible to get for them so they took an air chisel to the bolt since it was being replaced with ones that came with the kit. I wonder if that process did something to the header flange...maybe a tiny bend? But looking at the joint it looks pretty level and sealed but i could be wrong.
at least you know what they had to do to break it free. yeah, I can see how difficult it would be for you to do with just jacks.

you never know. they could be part of the issue.... it sound travels, especially when it comes with exhausts. just don't rule it out, it could be from there.

just food for thought.
Old 6/9/14, 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Blown CS
If you suspect this, a cheap test/fix would be to wrap the H pipe with header wrap/tape and see if it quiets the noise.

John
Old 6/9/14, 12:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
When I had my 03, I could hear the air rushing through the pipes right under the cabin. I always thought I had an exhaust leak too but I had the car jacked up with it running and couldn't feel nor hear anything. I just learned to live with it. I had the Bassani catted X on there btw...
this sounds more like what it could be, cause i've checked for leaks and sealed everything the best i could, its more of an air sound then what a leak normally would sound like.
Old 6/9/14, 01:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
this sounds more like what it could be, cause i've checked for leaks and sealed everything the best i could, its more of an air sound then what a leak normally would sound like.
It was more apparent at lower speeds too, when I would assume the airflow isn't as high. I'd try the header wrap on the H-Pipe
Old 6/9/14, 01:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
It was more apparent at lower speeds too, when I would assume the airflow isn't as high. I'd try the header wrap on the H-Pipe
exactly, seems lower RPMs its more noticable.