2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Help.....baby friendly?

Search this Thread

Old 8/23/10, 03:25 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I appreciate all the words of encouragement, we're both excited about having our first child. The more and more we both thought about it, the less getting rid of my 11' made sense. She will be the one who needs the bigger vehicle do to the fact that I'm the main and soon to be the only bread winner in the family at least for a little while. We both love the 5.0 and I will say that there is something about the feeling you get when you hammer down on the throttle for a second; it makes life doable.....lol. Besides maybe the hum of the exhaust will make the baby sleep more soundly.
Old 8/23/10, 06:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Since you'll have the Escape, I would probably hold on to the '11 GT because of the depreciation hit you'll take and it'll make a nice 2nd vehicle.

As for a rear facing car seat, i'm not sure how it'll fit.

I have a 3 y/o daughter and use a high-back booster seat and its tight. With her in it, I have to move my seat up to a point where i'm not too comfortable. If it is just her and I, i'll move the booster behind the passenger seat to make it easier on me.
Old 8/23/10, 09:34 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 1badmax
I appreciate all the words of encouragement, we're both excited about having our first child. The more and more we both thought about it, the less getting rid of my 11' made sense. She will be the one who needs the bigger vehicle do to the fact that I'm the main and soon to be the only bread winner in the family at least for a little while. We both love the 5.0 and I will say that there is something about the feeling you get when you hammer down on the throttle for a second; it makes life doable.....lol. Besides maybe the hum of the exhaust will make the baby sleep more soundly.
I was able to get a rear facing seat in the back of my Fox body 5.0... The hum of the flowmasters idling around the apartment complex was a last resort to try to get jher to sleep, but it worked. Except the one time she just fell asleep, and I got pulled over by security.
Old 8/23/10, 02:27 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whew... glad we could talk you off the edge
Old 8/23/10, 02:53 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a buddy who gets by fine with a rear-facing car seat in his '10 GT.
Old 8/24/10, 10:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
My 10-year old is very excited I'm getting the Mustang and has already spread the news to his friends, who are now in awe of me. It's fun being a celebrity in the neighborhood, even though my car hasn't arrived yet.

When the car comes, I'll have very strict rules for the kids (I also have a 7-year old) if they want to ride in it, including no food.

If I recall, babies are very messy, and sometimes make messes in a car with things that are worse than food (I won't go into detail but you can guess). I wouldn't want a baby in my car.
Old 8/24/10, 11:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Besides maybe the hum of the exhaust will make the baby sleep more soundly.
Yes, it will. My son sleeps better in the Mustang and the Corvette than he does in our Flex.
Old 8/24/10, 04:31 PM
Cobra Member

I had two kids in my 05 mustang convertible (1 and 5). But, it was a secondary car. We had the Sequoia as the baby-hauler for 90% of the time. I will say, they have trashed the Sequoia (no biggie), and it is a pain to get them in car seats (well, with the top up ). But, it definitely can be done. Just depends on if you have another "primary" family car, how attached to the cleanliness of your interior you are, and how often you put them in the car.
Old 8/24/10, 05:02 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by danimal15
If I recall, babies are very messy, and sometimes make messes in a car with things that are worse than food (I won't go into detail but you can guess). I wouldn't want a baby in my car.
Another reason Ford needs to bring back naugahyde interiors. That **** was indestructible!
Old 8/24/10, 05:54 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
What he meant to say is he has an 11 second "family car". ahem...

Well, it's certainly the quickest grocery getter I've ever owned! However, my wife gets mad every time I powerslide (drift) the car on the way home from the store as all the groceries spill out of the bags and all over the trunk.
Old 8/24/10, 05:58 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Well, it's certainly the quickest grocery getter I've ever owned! However, my wife gets mad every time I powerslide (drift) the car on the way home from the store as all the groceries spill out of the bags and all over the trunk.
JC Whitney to the rescue!
http://www.jcwhitney.com/cargo-and-t...d633j1s21.jcwx
Old 8/24/10, 07:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rampant
I had two kids in my 05 mustang convertible (1 and 5). But, it was a secondary car. We had the Sequoia as the baby-hauler for 90% of the time. I will say, they have trashed the Sequoia (no biggie), and it is a pain to get them in car seats (well, with the top up ). But, it definitely can be done. Just depends on if you have another "primary" family car, how attached to the cleanliness of your interior you are, and how often you put them in the car.
It depends a lot upon the parent and the child. My son (3 yo) is very good about keeping the car clean. He helps me wash the Mustang every weekend. He also knows that I value having a clean car. My niece and nephew, on the other hand, have parents that don't value a clean vehicle. Their van is the most disgusting vehicle I've ever been in. Food and stains everywhere... it smells like a dumpster on a hot day. The last time that van was clean was the day my brother in law bought it. So, the lesson is: show your son or daughter that keeping a car clean is important, and they will follow your example. Otherwise, prepare for the worst.

I don't have any trouble getting my son in and out of his car seat- and I'm the one that takes him to preschool every day.
Old 8/24/10, 09:53 PM
GT Member

Interestingly enough, I ordered a 2011 GT because my wife is pregnant. This will be our second child and our first boy. My dad had a 1970 Chevelle when I was born and as I grew up, we worked on it, showed it and raced it together. When I turned 18 he gave it to me and I still have it to this day. My plan is to do the same with this 2011 GT with my son including bringing him home from the hospital in it. I am so pumped to have a son! On a side note, my four year old daughter is grounded until she is 25.......

I had been looking at a used Porsche late last year but when I heard the 5.0 was coming back I knew I had to at least wait to see what it would be like. I owned 3 5.0's in the early 90's and just 4 years ago I sold my 1993 Cobra (REGRET) that I bought and owned since it was brand new. Anyway, mine will be a 4th car, not a daily driver so I do see your point, but give it a chance.......
Old 8/24/10, 09:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Had a buddy who went through this and he got rid of his pristine 84 Gt for a Dodge Shadow. His wife pressured him because back in those days it was one of the first cars out with air bags and she went overboard with the safety thing. He has regretted it since. My BIL dumped his z28 back in the day for a Olds Cierra 4 cylinder and still wished he had the old Camaro back. Hang on to the Mustang and use the Escape or whatever you get for the family hauler. Sure, its not as easy to load the car seat and all in a Mustang but they are safe cars so you dont have to worry about that part. Keep it and get the Escape for the family thing.
Old 8/25/10, 09:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Killa-B
Interestingly enough, I ordered a 2011 GT because my wife is pregnant.
Similar situation here. We're expecting our second, and I can't take two kids to school in a Corvette. The Mustang has enough room and is fun to drive. I can drive the Corvette on the days that they don't go to school.

Originally Posted by chevys
Had a buddy who went through this and he got rid of his pristine 84 Gt for a Dodge Shadow. His wife pressured him because back in those days it was one of the first cars out with air bags and she went overboard with the safety thing. He has regretted it since. My BIL dumped his z28 back in the day for a Olds Cierra 4 cylinder and still wished he had the old Camaro back. Hang on to the Mustang and use the Escape or whatever you get for the family hauler. Sure, its not as easy to load the car seat and all in a Mustang but they are safe cars so you dont have to worry about that part. Keep it and get the Escape for the family thing.
I agree 100%. Hang onto the car. You should see the envious looks my son gets from the other boys when he climbs into the Mustang or Corvette and they are stuck riding in a mini-van.

But- it's really not that hard to get a child in and out of the car.
Old 8/25/10, 10:30 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have to speak from past experience, as our kids are grown and most likely older then you

While they were growing up, in the 60's, 70's and early '80's, we had a sucession of small sporty cars, to include, a '79 Mustang Cobra, an '86 SVO Mustang, a Fiat 124 Sport Coup, and Alfa Romeo GT (Both while assigned to Italy, at different times), as well as two Firebirds, etc....long story short, enjoy the Mustang, and use the Escape as the family hauler. If you take the baby in the Mustang, with the appropriate child seat, there should be no problems.

Don't panic, and don't trade the '11 GT. If, after a few months with the baby, you decide to get something else, sell it to a private buyer, if you can. Using it as a trade now will put you upside down and that is the last thing you want with a baby coming. Enjoy life, a baby does mean you have to end the way you live, just make adjustments. And, above all, enjoy your family!
Old 8/25/10, 11:13 AM
V6 Member

I've got a Recaro car seat in my '11 for my daughter. The seat fits fine, and if I push the passenger seat up some she can't kick it. Getting her in and out of the seat isn't too much more difficult than it was in my Sport Trac. And as little as she's in the car with me, it's not that much of an inconvenience.

That said, I don't know if a rear facing seat would have fit. But babies are only in those for 15-18 months.
Old 8/25/10, 11:18 AM
Bullitt Member

I need everyone's help. My wife and I found out about 2 weeks ago that she's pregnant. Now, we just bought our 11' GT back in May and we're wondering how it would do with hauling a child around. Now, she has a 10' V6 as well, and we've already decided hers is getting traded in on an Escape, but we're debating on trading mine as well. We both love the 5.0, but we're scared that because of the small size and the horrible gas mileage, it may be have to go. So, do any of you haul your family around in your Mustang's? If so, is it just too cramped?

Thanks for any responses!

if you are seriously worried about the as mileage, swap to 2.73, and tune the speedo. you'll get over 30mpg.
Old 8/25/10, 11:20 AM
Bullitt Member

my dad had a 67 camaro in 1967 with 2 kids. me and my sister never knew it was cramped. i was 2 and she was 3. he sure wishes he had that car now.
Old 8/25/10, 11:30 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by GTOto5point0
Another reason Ford needs to bring back naugahyde interiors. That **** was indestructible!
Won't happen. Due to over-hunting esp. in Asia, most remaining Naugas are on endangered-species lists in most countries.

Quick Reply: Help.....baby friendly?