2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Help.....baby friendly?

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/10, 12:31 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help.....baby friendly?

I need everyone's help. My wife and I found out about 2 weeks ago that she's pregnant. Now, we just bought our 11' GT back in May and we're wondering how it would do with hauling a child around. Now, she has a 10' V6 as well, and we've already decided hers is getting traded in on an Escape, but we're debating on trading mine as well. We both love the 5.0, but we're scared that because of the small size and the horrible gas mileage, it may be have to go. So, do any of you haul your family around in your Mustang's? If so, is it just too cramped?

Thanks for any responses!
Old 8/22/10, 01:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It can be done. I didn't get my Mustang until my kids were 4 and 2. I had two child safety seats in the back without having to move up the seats. Of course a rear facing baby seat is a little bigger so you should test fit one and make sure there will be enough room for everyone.
Old 8/22/10, 01:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When my parents come down to Florida to visit we usually go out in my car. My mom gets in the back no problem, and she loves my car too. I don't think you will have a problem at all. Just make sure you get your baby a racing seat.

Old 8/22/10, 02:50 PM
Bullitt Member

One family vehicle (Escape) should be more than enough. I have a baby and a 5.0 on order. You'll get slaughtered financially and it's not even necessary. YMMV.
Old 8/22/10, 02:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah I would not trade it in. Shouldn't the escape be enough of a family car?
Old 8/22/10, 03:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I know it's small in size, and it eats a lot, but I wouldn't trade the baby. Waite, I read that wrong.... Hmmm ....I would keep the car.
Old 8/22/10, 03:27 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We've got a 5 month old. The 5.0 is just fine. I bit of a squeeze when we are all in the car but the carseat fits and we love riding in it. Keep yours and trade hers when the new explorer comes out. It looks really nice and will have plenty of room for up to 7 people (we're thinking about doing that too). Mom and dad still need to have fun you know. The stang stays!
Old 8/22/10, 03:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The Escape is a great kid-hauler. Easy to load 'em in the car seat, easy to get 'em out. Plenty of room in the back seat for adults, too. My wife loved her Escapes... an '03 and an '08. When we got the '08 I had a Fusion, and we almost always took the Escape anywhere we went together. I grew to not like it becasue it was noisy, had a 'harsh' ride, never got the kind of mileage it was supposed to get, and the 4 speed transmission liked to 'hunt' on even the slightest grade.

Jean's driving the Taurus now and would take her Escape back in a minute (go figure!)... but if I was buying that type of vehicle today I'd look real hard at the GM offerings.
Old 8/22/10, 04:36 PM
Bullitt Member

First off, congratulations!! It sounds like this will be your first child so I can relate to your slight panic at what to do on your cars. When I first found out about my son was the day I purchased an old 1991 Nissan 300ZX as my daily driver. Of course, it wasn't until after I signed the paperwork that my son's mom shared the secret with me.

Several years later, my son (of whom I have custody, if I may brag) will be six in two weeks and my Mustang is my first two door vehicle I've purchased since he was born. Granted, he's old enough to climb in and out on his own, but my wife and I will be trying for a baby together before long. From my experience...

Use the Escape as the primary vehicular transport. The Mustang will have enough room to get everyone around when needed, like those times when you need to pick up the baby on the way home from work or whatever. It's not ideal, but it's good enough. In my opinion, if you do decide you want to trade in the Mustang, at least give it four or six months just to be sure you can't stand dealing with it. No point giving up before you try, right?
Old 8/22/10, 05:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Also, first, gratz on the level up of your fambily!

Now, as to this:
"...we just bought our 11' GT back in May and we're wondering how it would do with hauling a child around."

A 5.0 GT? I don't think it'll affect the 1/4 mile times at all, the baby's pretty light... So it should haul just fine.

/more are qualified to answer than me, I just couldn't not say that.
//Also surprised it wasn't the first response.
///Although Lawrence *sorta* maybe said something similar...
Old 8/22/10, 05:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

As long as you have one 4-door car of adequate size a Mustang will do just fine as a secondary part-time kid hauler. It won't be terribly convenient if you are hauling the little one around every day, but it sounds like you won't be. We've used our Mini Cooper and Mustangs to haul our kids around since they were infants/toddlers, and it isn't really that much trouble to get kids in and out of the back seat of a 2-door car, although it gets a lot easier when they can climb in and out themselves.
Old 8/22/10, 06:11 PM
V6 Member

I'd like you to consider how I was raised. When Mom and Dad got married, my Dad was driving a 1967 Corvette convertible - Elkhart Blue with a white soft top. She became pregnant with me and they traded it in for a family car - our 1971 Ford Mustang Sportsroof. If I could be raised with that vestigial truck, an 11 Mustang's trunk should be just fine. : ) When I got older, Mom would drop me off for school. I can tell you for those few minutes she would be in line, waiting in a sea of mammoth green station wagons with fake wood paneling, I was the coolest kid in school.

Keep the Mustang!
Old 8/22/10, 07:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

It wont take triplets. Only two tethers. If you have twins or less it will be fine.

Congratulations.
Old 8/22/10, 08:22 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1badmax
I need everyone's help. My wife and I found out about 2 weeks ago that she's pregnant.
We both love the 5.0, but we're scared that because of the small size and the horrible gas mileage, it may be have to go.
A) congrats!
B) what horrible gas mileage?
C) do you have passive/aggressive issues against your coming baby? cause if you sell it you will always hold that over them...
D) have you considered how angry your child will be towards its parents when it grows up and they learn they were deprived of being raised in a 5.0 Mustang??

kidding about C

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/22/10 at 08:23 PM.
Old 8/22/10, 09:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Ask TMS member Skotty:

https://themustangsource.com/f726/re...ustang-485300/
Old 8/22/10, 09:11 PM
GT Member

Why wouldn't it? When I was born, my parents had a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T and a short box regular cab Power Wagon.
Old 8/22/10, 10:42 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats on the baby! Keep the '11 5.0L. I speak from experience as my daughter was born in 1993 when I had an '89 5.0L Mustang that I had bought new. I kept my 5.0L and it worked out fine as the "family" car, even if it was a little cramped with a baby seat in the back. My '07 GT is now our family car since my wife traded in her sensible sedan for a Miata a couple weeks ago! However, my 18 & 16 year old daughters fit just fine in the back of my Mustang (since my wife and I aren't tall).

On the flip side, I used to have a 1968 Pontiac GTO that I owned for 9 years. I sold it under pressure from my ex back in 1996 when money was tight, and have always regretted selling it and it's just one of many reasons my ex and I split a few years later.

Moral of the story. You can keep the baby and the 5.0L and live in harmony!
Old 8/22/10, 11:30 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
My '07 GT is now our family car since my wife traded in her sensible sedan for a Miata a couple weeks ago!
What he meant to say is he has an 11 second "family car". ahem...

Old 8/22/10, 11:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
one thought that amazes me is the number of people who feel they have to sell their mustangs or similar type vehicles because of children being born. you don't have to, it can be done. we raised 3 children over 25 years ago, and we had no transportation problems starting with a 1979 mercury capri turbo rs. from that capri, we progressed to an 84 mustang turbo gt, 84 mustang svo, 86 mustang svo, 1988 mitsubishi starion, 1989 mits starion, 1987 mustang gt, 85 mustang gt, two 1993 mustangs, one a gt, and the other a notchback lx, a 1996 mustang cobra, 97 mustang cobra, 98 camaro z28, 99 camaro ss z28, 2003 mustang mach 1, 2003 mustang cobra, and finally a 2008 mustang bullitt. with these vehicles, we took our kids almost across the country a number of times. all we needed to do was strap them in their car seats, and teach them how to behave in a car when they were little.

if you didn't notice, sometimes i like to change vehicles, and none of them were automatics.

ed
Old 8/23/10, 12:17 AM
Cobra R Member

How about getting a fiesta hatchback for the wife? be lots on room in back for baby seat...good gas milage....and you keep 5.0

Quick Reply: Help.....baby friendly?