Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Hello - My New Ride and some friendly advice

Search this Thread

Old 5/22/10, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello - My New Ride and some friendly advice

Hello everyone!
I have been a long-time reader of this forum but never joined as a member. I’ve really enjoyed the discussions, advice and the occasional argument .

A little bit about me car-wise: I shuffled through several Nissan’s before getting a 2002 Mustang V6 convertible in 2003. I absolutely loved that car. To this day, I am still not quite sure why I got rid of it (did I give into the pretenses associated with DC, was it the weather in the NE and a rear-drive convertible? I dunno.). I moved to a BMW 328XI. Fun car. Overhead/cost of ownership = not cool. Negative happiness at its best. And it was a lease…

On this forum about two years ago, I read a rumor about the possible return of the 5.0. Like many people here, I was enamored with the idea. And when it became a reality, I was far more than captivated – I was obsessed. I placed my order for a 2011 Mustang GT Convertible in early April and put my BMW on leasetrader (plug: it sold nearly overnight. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to get out of a lease or to anyone who wants to get into one without dealer overhead – the process couldn’t have been easier).

Like many people on this form, I then played the waiting game. And I waited. And waited. I was promised 6-8 weeks from the dealer and, guess what (surprise) nothing happened. No build date. No vin. No info. Nada/Zip/Zilch. I don’t like sitting around and waiting. There are bigger problems in the world than waiting for a car – but, in addition to a possible change in my job/location, the rental I’ve been driving around in was costing a fortune (again booked on the pretense of the amount of time it would take for my car to come in).

I put out the dragnet. Using Ford’s site, I looked for any dealership within a 300 mile radius to find a car that was relatively close to what I had on order (aka. My dream car). And guess what? I found a car that was nearly identical (color/options) to the one on order – but this one had MORE options and cost nearly $3K less than the one on order.

I’d like to point out that I am NOT gloating but I am hoping that this helps some folks on here: if you’re like me and you’ve been waiting and waiting there is hope (some of you have been on order since the order banks first opened – I really feel for you all, that is NOT cool). These cars are not unicorns. They do exist. And they are on dealer lots. Unless you ordered something that is UBER CUSTOMIZED, it’s likely a car very much like the one you have on order is chilling on a lot. It takes some persistence, but with some research, I bet that you are likely to find a car that is identical (or better AND cheaper).

That book said, I look forward to joining your ranks as a mustang enthusiast once again.
Without further ado, I’d like to introduce you to my baby (because, what’s a post without photos?):
2011 Mustang GT Premium Convertible (Black/Black, Auto, HID, 19” Machined Wheels, Reverse Camera).

Old 5/22/10, 06:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
That's going to be one fast cruiser! Congrats!
Old 5/22/10, 06:44 PM
Cobra Member

oh thats just SEX!!! welcome to TMS. do you have any future plans for your new baby?
Old 5/22/10, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Red Jay
oh thats just SEX!!! welcome to TMS. do you have any future plans for your new baby?
Thanks! I am BEYOND stoked for her. In the here and now, keeping it stock-esque.

Down-the-line, I am thinking about a Roush body kit and some bigger brakes (I am not sure about the brakes - not planning on tracking the car and I've only had it for 2 days. So far, the stock brakes are really good and challenge some Porsche's I've driven in).

Have any suggestions?
Old 5/22/10, 06:58 PM
Bullitt Member

THOSE wheels on THAT car look GREAT!!!
Old 5/22/10, 06:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome! And nice vert!

Now that you own the true "ultimate driving machine" tell us how it compares to that poser you used to drive.
Old 5/22/10, 07:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Filmdude03
Thanks! I am BEYOND stoked for her. In the here and now, keeping it stock-esque.

Down-the-line, I am thinking about a Roush body kit and some bigger brakes (I am not sure about the brakes - not planning on tracking the car and I've only had it for 2 days. So far, the stock brakes are really good and challenge some Porsche's I've driven in).

Have any suggestions?
exhaust would be my first mod, but as you stated that'd be down the line.
Old 5/22/10, 07:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Welcome to TMS!

Great lookin' combination, Congrats
Old 5/22/10, 07:31 PM
GT Member

Welcome and go topless!!!!
Old 5/22/10, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by 825LTRGT
Welcome! And nice vert!

Now that you own the true "ultimate driving machine" tell us how it compares to that poser you used to drive.
I have lived and learned.

The 5.0 SCREAMS. This engine makes the BMW feel like a toy (it was nearly the exact same price as my Mustang nearly 3 years ago). I will say that, generally, the BMW could handle. As a XI, it was all wheel drive - but, it still didn't like bad weather much at all and would shake and shimmy at low speeds on some not-so-serious curves.
The stang is an extension of my mind. Super responsive, super fast and super sticky to the curves. This car ripped through curves that the BMW would not like at all (at dare I say nearly double the speed).
Oh yeah. And if you nail the throttle. IT GOES. The numbers are true. I don't care if you go auto or row your own - this is the engine to own (the auto is sick, btw).

Every review of the 5.0 has been spot on. The exhaust note is prestine and compares to a M3 I've driven (the BMW's note at high RPM sounded like a dish washing machine that is about to die a horrible death). The pick-up is better than the aforementioned M3, my BMW and Porsches I've driven as well - I'm not kidding. And anyone who says otherwise is a liar .
Needless to say, the ponies minus well be carnivorous and eat the imports that get in its way.

I have never, ever smiled the way I have behind the wheel of this monster (and I like to think that I smile a lot). The sound, the feel, the handling...sigh. I want to go for a drive right now.

And yeah, its nice to turn heads left and right
Old 5/22/10, 09:10 PM

Congrats on the new ride, I like the way you summed up the feelings driving the new car. Some people only see cars as an appliance to get from point A to point B. They'll never understand the enthusiast whose life is a little more fun because of their car.
Old 5/23/10, 01:17 AM
GT Member

I have lived and learned.

The 5.0 SCREAMS. This engine makes the BMW feel like a toy (it was nearly the exact same price as my Mustang nearly 3 years ago). I will say that, generally, the BMW could handle. As a XI, it was all wheel drive - but, it still didn't like bad weather much at all and would shake and shimmy at low speeds on some not-so-serious curves.
The stang is an extension of my mind. Super responsive, super fast and super sticky to the curves. This car ripped through curves that the BMW would not like at all (at dare I say nearly double the speed).
Oh yeah. And if you nail the throttle. IT GOES. The numbers are true. I don't care if you go auto or row your own - this is the engine to own (the auto is sick, btw).

Every review of the 5.0 has been spot on. The exhaust note is prestine and compares to a M3 I've driven (the BMW's note at high RPM sounded like a dish washing machine that is about to die a horrible death). The pick-up is better than the aforementioned M3, my BMW and Porsches I've driven as well - I'm not kidding. And anyone who says otherwise is a liar .
Needless to say, the ponies minus well be carnivorous and eat the imports that get in its way.

I have never, ever smiled the way I have behind the wheel of this monster (and I like to think that I smile a lot). The sound, the feel, the handling...sigh. I want to go for a drive right now.

And yeah, its nice to turn heads left and right
Awesome, Gavin. Thanks for the review. I'll pick up my 2011 Mustang GT Premium Coupe on Monday.
...Michael (and also "2011 Ford Mustang fan page admin on FB")
Old 5/23/10, 06:05 AM
V6 Member

Nice ride! The wheels really set it off.
Old 5/23/10, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
Congrats on the new ride, I like the way you summed up the feelings driving the new car. Some people only see cars as an appliance to get from point A to point B. They'll never understand the enthusiast whose life is a little more fun because of their car.
Thank you and spot on!
"A lifestyle is a terrible thing to waste."
Old 5/23/10, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by grabberguy
Awesome, Gavin. Thanks for the review. I'll pick up my 2011 Mustang GT Premium Coupe on Monday.
...Michael (and also "2011 Ford Mustang fan page admin on FB")
Thanks and congrats, Michael! Looking forward to hearing about your ride - Enjoy!
Old 5/23/10, 08:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

I guess people think BMW is a status symbol or something. I drive a BMW, so that means I've 'made it'. The bigger the metropolitan area, the more that seems true. As you note, the problem with BMWs is that they start costing more in maintenance costs than they are worth after a few years. If I was to get one, I'd get a new one on a two year lease, then let someone else deal with the headaches.

Congratulations on your new Mustang. She's a beaut!
Old 5/23/10, 08:32 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Nice. I have to say your Mustang is the first one i have ever seen that those wheels look good on.
Old 5/23/10, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by David Young
Nice. I have to say your Mustang is the first one i have ever seen that those wheels look good on.
Thanks! I kinda concur (though I think it looks good on the Sterling Grey and the Grabber). Traditionally, I am one of those people that doesn't like big wheels, but the 19" fill up the big wheel wells really well (and the color happens to go seamlessly with the car).
They really have ended up being one of my favorite add-ons - I think it really helps set the car apart from the other stock ones on the road.
Old 5/23/10, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
I guess people think BMW is a status symbol or something. I drive a BMW, so that means I've 'made it'. The bigger the metropolitan area, the more that seems true. As you note, the problem with BMWs is that they start costing more in maintenance costs than they are worth after a few years. If I was to get one, I'd get a new one on a two year lease, then let someone else deal with the headaches.

Congratulations on your new Mustang. She's a beaut!
EXACTLY That status symbol philosophy is spot on. Which is a shame that (a) I fell into such pretenses and (b) that the world is so shallow.

In all seriousness - the Mustang is just as luxurious and handles better than my Beamer did. Oh yeah, and the engine, which I cannot say enough awesome things about, is an absolute blast.

The BMW was something many people flip as soon as the next "great thing" comes out. This car is something I'll have for a long, long time.

Thanks for the congrats!

Last edited by Filmdude03; 5/23/10 at 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 5/23/10, 10:22 AM
V6 Member

Thanks! I kinda concur (though I think it looks good on the Sterling Grey and the Grabber). Traditionally, I am one of those people that doesn't like big wheels, but the 19" fill up the big wheel wells really well (and the color happens to go seamlessly with the car).
They really have ended up being one of my favorite add-ons - I think it really helps set the car apart from the other stock ones on the road.
I like those wheels too they look like made for the mustang form (trapez forms), others like the brembo or cs wheels could be attached to just any other car - but those not. They remember me to paintings of the artist Miro somehow. Think they look specially good on black and grey cause the have black/dark grey inside (im going with grabber with black roof there they also fit for my taste. I notice the HID on the black not looks strange as on other colors.) Cool car makes me think change my order from grabber to black, just had already black so i wont:-) What you mean with 'auto is sick'? :-)

Last edited by maxmustang; 5/23/10 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Hello - My New Ride and some friendly advice