Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Hawk HP+ pads on the street

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/11, 02:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Hawk HP+ pads on the street

For those of you running Hawk HP+ pads on the street for a daily driver, how noisy and dusty are they? I'm looking to run HP+ all the way around to save from having to swap pads and rotors up front for autocross but don't know how streetable they are. If they are pretty noisy I'll be doing HPS up front and HP+ in the rear. Thanks for any feedback.
Old 8/22/11, 03:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A friend running HP+ on his RX7 on the street always complained about them being really noisy when cold/slightly warm, and that initial bite was less than optimal when cold.

I've always run HPS on my past cars for the street, and will do the same on my '11.
Old 8/22/11, 05:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
no bueno due to the noise when cold.

I actually am really fond of the EBC yellowstuffs. Gave them a try (cheaper than the Hawks), and surprised how quiet they are and how well they deal with heat.
Old 8/23/11, 12:43 PM
Bullitt Member

The hawk HP+ is a great dual-purpose pad in the fact they will work great for you from when you put them in at home, drive to the track, & drive home. I would not run them full time. The dust is tremendous and aggressive to the nearby painted surfaces, and the noise is unacceptable every day IMHO. I use the HPS pad on the street (no noise, & less dust) and swap pads on the days I go to the track. I used to use the HP+ for track days, and I have since switched to DTC60. I swap to the DTC's at the track though because their cold bite is not very safe for driving on the street.
Old 8/23/11, 01:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the input. I just ordered HPS all around.
Old 8/24/11, 09:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

What about about Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads?
Old 8/24/11, 10:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by newpony
I don't have any personal experience with the hawk Ceramic pads, but have used ceramics on other cars. Ceramic pads work great, with very little to no dust for street applications. On track I've seen a lot of ceramic pad failures because they just cannot handle the extra heat. They start to get a bit spongy and then lose their grip all together.
Old 8/24/11, 11:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

So for street use they should be OK I guess.
Old 8/24/11, 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Another option to consider is the carbotech bobcat compound. I think they call it something different now though. It's quiet, low dust and for an auto-x car it handles that type of heat very well.

I caution using them on a road course if you're big on trail braking etc.
Old 9/22/11, 02:36 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by newpony
Ordered the ceramic pads today. I have a little noise coming from front brakes. Ran a system check it said, "BRAKE SYSTEM OK" but, I'll go ahead and trust my ears. Will post review of ceramics when I've had a chance to play with them.
Old 9/22/11, 05:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by eric n

Ordered the ceramic pads today. I have a little noise coming from front brakes. Ran a system check it said, "BRAKE SYSTEM OK" but, I'll go ahead and trust my ears. Will post review of ceramics when I've had a chance to play with them.
I had the same problem with Them on my Pontiac G8. Great brakes but I sounded like a cross town bus pulling up.
Old 9/23/11, 08:04 AM
Cobra Member

Jza,

Are you saying your ceramic's were loud??? I was saying that my stock Brembo set up was giving me a little noise I ordered hawk ceramic as replacements.

I really hope the ceramic's aren't loud as I don't think I would put up with that for long.
Old 9/23/11, 09:19 AM
Cobra Member

I would only ever use HPS on the street.

HP+ are just too loud.
Old 9/23/11, 09:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ceramincs don't last as long as you'd like them to. I've had them on two previous cars and the initial bite is great but they go downhill real quick plus they aren't worth a **** in cold weather. I would know, I lived in Iowa half my life.

The HP+ are way too loud and create lots of dust. Not good for street use at all.

HPS all the way for street use.

DTC 70/60 for track use.
Old 9/23/11, 05:06 PM
Cobra Member

Well living in Bakersfield, where we get cold, "read 35 degrees for a couple of weeks each year" cold doesn't really concern me a whole lot. Also when it's cold it's pretty much foggy and I drive VERY VERY slowly.

I am surprised that the Brembo's only lasted 20k miles. Granted they are the most high performance brakes I've owned, but still a bit disappointed. I just hope the ceramics are a reasonable substitute. I let the guy from Summit Racing talk me out of the HPS. Perhaps a mistake. Clearly I'll come out of this a little wiser and perhaps a little poorer.
Old 9/23/11, 05:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Well living in Bakersfield, where we get cold, "read 35 degrees for a couple of weeks each year" cold doesn't really concern me a whole lot. Also when it's cold it's pretty much foggy and I drive VERY VERY slowly.

I am surprised that the Brembo's only lasted 20k miles. Granted they are the most high performance brakes I've owned, but still a bit disappointed. I just hope the ceramics are a reasonable substitute. I let the guy from Summit Racing talk me out of the HPS. Perhaps a mistake. Clearly I'll come out of this a little wiser and perhaps a little poorer.
Eric:
1st - lucky dog, Mr California. I hate being cold.
2nd - Keeping in mind I am now Mr. 6AT (and could not get BBP on my car), would u recommend I get the Brembo brake retrofit kit being sold by FRPP for about $1300? Do you think it's worth it? I like my regular GT brakes a lot, but with my recent handling upgrades, I am beginning to think about tracking or autocrossing at some point. It's too awesome not to.
Old 9/23/11, 07:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you don't mind me asking, how'd the guy at Summit Racing talk you out of the HPS pads? The only reason I ask is because I've heard the Hawk ceramic pads don't last very long and don't have the stopping power that the HPS pads do. The ceramic pads get spongy real easy and can't handle heat. I see you live out in Cali and we all know it gets pretty warm out there. Anyway, let us all know what you think of the ceramic pads after you've driven them for awhile.

Personally, I'm going with the HPS for street use and DTC 70's/60's for track use. Also, I'm going with Wilwood brake systems.
Old 9/23/11, 07:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by BlackMamba03
If you don't mind me asking, how'd the guy at Summit Racing talk you out of the HPS pads? The only reason I ask is because I've heard the Hawk ceramic pads don't last very long and don't have the stopping power that the HPS pads do. The ceramic pads get spongy real easy and can't handle heat. I see you live out in Cali and we all know it gets pretty warm out there. Anyway, let us all know what you think of the ceramic pads after you've driven them for awhile.

Personally, I'm going with the HPS for street use and DTC 70's/60's for track use. Also, I'm going with Wilwood brake systems.

As per how I got talked out of it, it was exceedingly easy. I told him I didn't have any experience with the ceramics. He said he highly recommended them and that the price was only very marginally more than the hps. I took him at his word, assuming that he knew more than I, which may still be the case as I know bupkis about ceramic brakes.
Old 9/23/11, 07:47 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Eric:
1st - lucky dog, Mr California. I hate being cold.
2nd - Keeping in mind I am now Mr. 6AT (and could not get BBP on my car), would u recommend I get the Brembo brake retrofit kit being sold by FRPP for about $1300? Do you think it's worth it? I like my regular GT brakes a lot, but with my recent handling upgrades, I am beginning to think about tracking or autocrossing at some point. It's too awesome not to.
Hi Eric, I wouldn't dream of making a recommendation as there are so many more knowledgeable posters on these boards. I would have called Sam Strano but knew that I wanted the parts asap and wanted the speed that summit's Nevada warehouse would afford.

If I were to make a recommendation I would recommend don't get a recommendation from me. Go to sam as he has substantial credentials and knowledge along with highly competitive prices. I'm taking a break from modding right now just to save a few bucks, but when I'm back at it I will be calling Sam for some shocks and lowering springs.

Hope you're liking the Auto. I know you're happy to have a mustang under you that you can drive. Take Care!
Old 9/23/11, 07:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

As per how I got talked out of it, it was exceedingly easy. I told him I didn't have any experience with the ceramics. He said he highly recommended them and that the price was only very marginally more than the hps. I took him at his word, assuming that he knew more than I, which may still be the case as I know bupkis about ceramic brakes.

Ceramic pads are meant for daily driving/touring/highway. Basically nothing aggressive. That's why their dust and noise rating is slightly higher than the HPS.

The HPS are meant for daily driving and aggressive street. That's why their stopping power is top notch and why they can handle higher temps than the ceramic pads.

I'm sure you knew all this but I figured I'd post it. There's no hidden secrets to the ceramic pads. They're made out of a different material than the HPS and HP+ pads. That's the only reason I see them being more expensive. The material gives them that extra boost in reduction of noise and dust.

Good luck with the ceramic pads and let us know how they work out for you.

Quick Reply: Hawk HP+ pads on the street